FB: Middle Atlantic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill

Some of us "old timers" are still lurking...but we don't post often!

Ever since my job change, I will lurk on here about one a week...but since I'm not around the program and don't watch the games, I don't feel like I have much to offer!!

Take care everyone - you never know who's lurking....  ;)
"To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day."

bman

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on September 09, 2017, 08:18:10 PM
Thanks Warren and Saxon!! We can use the help on the board. Many of the regulars from the past are long gone. Lyco80 (I think that was the handle) pops in when Lycoming is having a good season and is invisible in the bad one's. With zero TD's in the first two games, this season might be the latter. I went to Swarthmore for my undergrad but have lived in Doylestown for almost 30 years so I adopted DelVal a long time ago (and Swarthmore has no football team........it's beneath the libs ;) )

The DelVal vs. Lyco game stunned me today. Lyco has a solid, returning senior QB, top two RB's and three long, fast, experienced WR's that lost to DelVal in Doylestown last year in the waning moments, 28-20. Today, Lyco had something like 82 yards on 47 plays and 3 first downs. I don't get football sometimes.

How bad is Wilkes (watch them beat DelVal next Friday night)? They get blown out by LebVal..........who got wiped out by a decent F&M team last week.

That's why they play the games.

I still have DelVal a slight notch below both Albright and Stevenson, but they should all be close games between the three teams.

Oh, bman..................Widener might have the best defense in the MAC and with a ton back from last year on offense and a light schedule in the first half of the season, might get out to a 4-1, 5-1 start!

I'm waiting to see.   I still have Del Val as the frontrunner with Stevenson (despite their game 1 clunker) a notch behind.  Widener needs to prove they belong.
I'm not impressed with the offense these days, so we'll see what happens the next few weeks.

Bill!  Glad you're lurking.   FDU looked good week 1.  They are better this year...no doubt.
Wilkes...things really went south there.  They have always been a tough team to beat regardless of their record...  not sure what's going on up there...does Miseracordia get a win?!

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on September 08, 2017, 07:33:35 AM
Quote from: jmcozenlaw on August 31, 2017, 08:44:35 AM
Yours truly was "as money as money could be" last year with my weekly and final standings predictions, so much so that if the possibility to put money down on the table existed..........I'd be typing this from my villa in Bermuda, getting fanned while being fed grapes!! So what I'm saying about 2017..........there is nowhere to go but down as perfection can't be perfected. I'll just try to be very good. Yes, I've lowered the bar!!

The top three teams (DelVal, Stevenson, Albright) were virtually in a tie for the top spot (75, 72 and 72 points) so it really is a crapshoot. I've also learned a few things about these polls from friends of mine on the basketball side.........let's just call it a "psychological vote", if one can read between the lines (i.e. let's really get up for the team voted #1, we were disrespected, blah, blah, blah:)

Here are the Final Standings Predictions:

The Top Three (Unlikely, but all could go 8-1 in the MAC):
1. Albright - Has just about every offensive key player back in the fold as well as key players on the defense. Has DelVal at home.
2. Stevenson - Loaded and capitalizing on built in recruiting advantages and big packages combined with cheaper tuition. Won't be in the MAC in 5 years (the buzz is building). Has Albright at home.
3. DelVal - Might have the best defense in the league but offense lost some key players and will be up and down. Has Stevenson at home (and is playing no games with tickets, eh hem:)

The Close Three:
4. Widener - Very young last two years. Very skilled returnees. Should be very dangerous and could contend if things break right.
5. Lycoming - In the Widener boat. Very young. Very skilled. Just about every key player is back. No excuses. Expectations high in Williamsport.
6. King's - Tough team to figure out but with the QB returning, if they get any defense, they could surprise some people.

The Distant Four:
7. LebVal - A lot of youth last year and should be a bit better. A 4 win season would be a victory.
8. Wilkes - Tough one to figure out. A lot of returnees but not sure how that translates against the Top Three and Close Three.
9. FDU- Loved their passing game last year. If they can establish a running game and play some defense they could pick off a couple of teams.
10. Misericordia - It feels like it's about time to see some improvement in the program. My hoops buddies say they put some nice packages together for a handful of "difference makers". We'll see.

Week One Predictions:
Wesley - 24     DelVal - 20     I don't see Wesley losing in consecutive years to anybody not named Mount Union, Whitewater, UMHB, John Carroll, etc. Too much on the defensive side returning and a QB with a full year under his belt. Games are won and lost in the trenches and this is Wesley's big advantage
King's - 30     Moravian - 23     To give any reason here would be akin to the talking heads on sports talk radio acting as if they actually  are in the "know". They are not. Nor am I:) Go MAC!!!
Stevenson - 20     Frostburg - 16     Stevenson returns a ton from last year, more than Frostburg. These two will be in the same conference 5-7 years from now. Book it!

FDU - 27     TCNJ - 16     TCNJ won't stop the FDU passing game in a battle of the acronyms
Albright - 26     Salisbury - 23     Down to the wire but my preseason MAC champ squeezes out a victory (against another team that will be in the same conference as Stevenson in 5-7 years:)

Merchant Marine - 27     Misericordia - 21     Could this be Miser's best shot at a victory this year? Close but no cigar.
Lycoming - 30     Susquehanna - 20     The "no excuses" season starts out on the right foot with a season opening victory. Our Lyco poster is at least with us this year for a week or two:)
F&M - 31     LebVal - 30     A closer game than expected goes down to the wire.
Muhlenberg- 34     Wilkes - 17     Wilkes has a puncher's shot. Not a McGregor shot (which was no shot)......but a puncher's shot.
Widener - 24     Rowan - 20     Widener had a ton of very young talent last year that has matured. Rowan lost quite a bit. This could go either way so I flipped a coin and made bman happy!!

Lastly:
The Eagles will go 8-8 but make tangible progress
The Sixers will get the #7 seed in the East
Gold's spike is fools gold (pun intended)........short it soon
I will take Mount Youngstown/University of Wisconsin/UMHB...............and you can all have the field (kind of like me taking the Golden State Warriors and giving you the field:)

Football is here...............Merry Christmas to all........and to all a good day/night!!

Peace out!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Week Two Predictions:

I had a 24-20 score in the DelVal vs. Wesley game. Off by one point.....but had the wrong winner. If they meet in the playoffs, it's impossible that the Aggies beat Wesley three times in a row. 10-15 years ago under Mangus? Sure. Now?.....no way, no how!! :)

Wilkes - 26      LebVal - 13      Wilkes has a lot back on offense and defense and an All American TE. These teams can't be as bad as they looked last week, can they????
Widener - 23    FDU - 20         Widener returns a motherlode from last year and has a stout defense. FDU has the best passing game in the MAC (imagine if their best WR hadn't transferred to Mount Union before last season, ya know, for the Mount Union Biology Program........they'd be off the charts). It should make for an interesting game in bucolic Chester.
Albright - 55    Misericordia - 13     My preseason MAC Champ has everybody of significance back on both sides of the ball and put up a 38 spot on Salisbury, a very good NJAC team.
Stevenson - 40     King's - 23     Stevenson has just about everybody back on offense, including the stud QB Williams, and will right the ship at home against a mediocre King's team.
DelVal - 23     Lycoming - 20    DelVal has lost the last 2, and 3 of the last 4 up in Williamsport. The Aggies have a stout defense but an average offense. Lyco (speaking of which, will our Lyco poster make an appearance this year if they start out 0-2? I say no!!) Lyco returns every key offensive player and many on defense who played the Aggies to within a TD in Doylestown last year.

Redskins - 24     Eagles - 23     These two teams will both be around .500 this year...............the Widener and Lyco's of the NFC East ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Week Three Predictions:

Widenerbman - 55     Misericordia 13 - Miser has given up 56 and 50 in consecutive weeks and has lost by a combined 54 points. Widener has an explosive offense and a big, fast, stout defense.
Stevenson - 47     FDU - 16     FDU gave up 49 to Widener last week and Stevenson has the motherlode back from last year on offense. FDU can not run the ball and might throw it 70 times!
LebVal - 26     King's - 23     Very close game. LebVal is at home and did move the ball at will last week. I think it will be close regardless of who wins.
Albright - 45     Lycosimba - 10     After seeing what DelVal did at Lycoming last week.......my preseason MAC Champ beats them even worse. Stunning given all that Lyco has back from last year.
DelVal - 30     Wilkes - 16     Two years ago, almost to the day, a far superior Aggies team played a Friday night game up at Wilkes and lost 12-7..........Wilkes only win of the year. While I do not see that happening, I see this as a much closer game than expected. Through two weeks, I put the Aggies offense behind Albright and Stevenson (my preseason #1 and #2) and their passing game behind both of them as well as FDU and King's. DelVal will go as far as their defense takes them this year. The Aggies win this going away and prepare for next week's slugfest with an experienced Stevenson offense, before hitting the road for another two games. Four of the first five MAC games on the road.........the schedule maker did DelVal no favors. :)

Chiefs - 30     Eagles - 17     After lighting up the Superbowl Champs on the road, Andy Reid comes back home and beats down his former team.

tweisman5

Below are my week 3 predictions and rankings. The spread (-#) is provided by Massey Ratings and the top 25 rankings are from the Hansen Ratings composite. Good luck to everyone this week!

Week 3 Predictions:
#10 Del Val(-28.5)@Wilkes: Del Val wins by 35
Stevenson(-25.5)@FDU: Stevenson wins by 30
Misericordia@Widener(-21.5): Widener wins by 24
Albright(-17.5)@Lycoming: Albright wins by 14
King's@Leb Val (-3.5): Leb Val wins by 3

Week 3 Rankings:
1. Del Val (2-0, 1-0)
2. Stevenson (1-1, 1-0)
3. Albright (2-0, 1-0)
4. Widener (1-1, 1-0)
5. Leb Val (1-1, 1-0)
6. King's (1-1, 0-1)
7. Lycoming (0-2, 0-1)
8. Wilkes (0-2, 0-1)
9. FDU (0-2, 0-1)
10. Misericordia (0-2, 0-1)
Go Mustangs!

bman

Quote from: tweisman5 on September 15, 2017, 04:03:19 PM
Below are my week 3 predictions and rankings. The spread (-#) is provided by Massey Ratings and the top 25 rankings are from the Hansen Ratings composite. Good luck to everyone this week!

Week 3 Predictions:
#10 Del Val(-28.5)@Wilkes: Del Val wins by 35
Stevenson(-25.5)@FDU: Stevenson wins by 30
Misericordia@Widener(-21.5): Widener wins by 24
Albright(-17.5)@Lycoming: Albright wins by 14
King's@Leb Val (-3.5): Leb Val wins by 3

Week 3 Rankings:
1. Del Val (2-0, 1-0)
2. Stevenson (1-1, 1-0)
3. Albright (2-0, 1-0)
4. Widener (1-1, 1-0)
5. Leb Val (1-1, 1-0)
6. King's (1-1, 0-1)
7. Lycoming (0-2, 0-1)
8. Wilkes (0-2, 0-1)
9. FDU (0-2, 0-1)
10. Misericordia (0-2, 0-1)

Not bad predictions!   I'll also give it a go again this week.  Some great games on tap!

ITH radio

I know Kings is kind of a middle of the pack program, but their QB went off last wkd. Really impressive stats.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

bman

Quote from: ITH radio on September 18, 2017, 05:19:08 PM
I know Kings is kind of a middle of the pack program, but their QB went off last wkd. Really impressive stats.
Not bad.  Leb Val (With the exception of a good game against a bad Wilkes team) has been giving up a ton of points.
Check out the stats by FDUs QB in week 1 against TCNJ.  Now those are some numbers!

kate

What, no talking on here about the DVU/Stevenson game on Saturday at noon???   Not knowing that much about football, I can only be the homer that I am and pull for the Green and Gold, but it's supposed to be really hot, so please STAY HYDRATED Men!!!

thewaterboy

Thinking (and hoping) Del Val will handle Stevenson. How telling was Stevenson's showing at Frostburg in the opener?

ITH radio

This is the 2nd best ER game of the wkd IMO - Frostburg vs. Rowan barely edging it out.

Stevenson really struggled with the Bobcats aggressive D so I expect guys like Nick Wright to be attacking the QB all night.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

Pat Coleman

I went through Emergency Room and Erik Raeburn before I realized you were saying East Region.  ???
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

bman

Quote from: ITH radio on September 21, 2017, 04:27:32 PM
This is the 2nd best ER game of the wkd IMO - Frostburg vs. Rowan barely edging it out.

Stevenson really struggled with the Bobcats aggressive D so I expect guys like Nick Wright to be attacking the QB all night.
I'm guessing Fburg should be about a 12 point favorite in this one.   Not sure how good Stevenson is yet, but I'd make DVU at least a 7 point favorite in that one.
What really is cool, is that every game in the MAC this week should be a good one.  I'm curious to see if Wilkes can step it up or will Misericordia notch its first win in a while....
Predictions tomorrow...

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on September 15, 2017, 12:22:12 PM
Quote from: jmcozenlaw on September 08, 2017, 07:33:35 AM
Quote from: jmcozenlaw on August 31, 2017, 08:44:35 AM
Yours truly was "as money as money could be" last year with my weekly and final standings predictions, so much so that if the possibility to put money down on the table existed..........I'd be typing this from my villa in Bermuda, getting fanned while being fed grapes!! So what I'm saying about 2017..........there is nowhere to go but down as perfection can't be perfected. I'll just try to be very good. Yes, I've lowered the bar!!

The top three teams (DelVal, Stevenson, Albright) were virtually in a tie for the top spot (75, 72 and 72 points) so it really is a crapshoot. I've also learned a few things about these polls from friends of mine on the basketball side.........let's just call it a "psychological vote", if one can read between the lines (i.e. let's really get up for the team voted #1, we were disrespected, blah, blah, blah:)

Here are the Final Standings Predictions:

The Top Three (Unlikely, but all could go 8-1 in the MAC):
1. Albright - Has just about every offensive key player back in the fold as well as key players on the defense. Has DelVal at home.
2. Stevenson - Loaded and capitalizing on built in recruiting advantages and big packages combined with cheaper tuition. Won't be in the MAC in 5 years (the buzz is building). Has Albright at home.
3. DelVal - Might have the best defense in the league but offense lost some key players and will be up and down. Has Stevenson at home (and is playing no games with tickets, eh hem:)

The Close Three:
4. Widener - Very young last two years. Very skilled returnees. Should be very dangerous and could contend if things break right.
5. Lycoming - In the Widener boat. Very young. Very skilled. Just about every key player is back. No excuses. Expectations high in Williamsport.
6. King's - Tough team to figure out but with the QB returning, if they get any defense, they could surprise some people.

The Distant Four:
7. LebVal - A lot of youth last year and should be a bit better. A 4 win season would be a victory.
8. Wilkes - Tough one to figure out. A lot of returnees but not sure how that translates against the Top Three and Close Three.
9. FDU- Loved their passing game last year. If they can establish a running game and play some defense they could pick off a couple of teams.
10. Misericordia - It feels like it's about time to see some improvement in the program. My hoops buddies say they put some nice packages together for a handful of "difference makers". We'll see.

Week One Predictions:
Wesley - 24     DelVal - 20     I don't see Wesley losing in consecutive years to anybody not named Mount Union, Whitewater, UMHB, John Carroll, etc. Too much on the defensive side returning and a QB with a full year under his belt. Games are won and lost in the trenches and this is Wesley's big advantage
King's - 30     Moravian - 23     To give any reason here would be akin to the talking heads on sports talk radio acting as if they actually  are in the "know". They are not. Nor am I:) Go MAC!!!
Stevenson - 20     Frostburg - 16     Stevenson returns a ton from last year, more than Frostburg. These two will be in the same conference 5-7 years from now. Book it!

FDU - 27     TCNJ - 16     TCNJ won't stop the FDU passing game in a battle of the acronyms
Albright - 26     Salisbury - 23     Down to the wire but my preseason MAC champ squeezes out a victory (against another team that will be in the same conference as Stevenson in 5-7 years:)

Merchant Marine - 27     Misericordia - 21     Could this be Miser's best shot at a victory this year? Close but no cigar.
Lycoming - 30     Susquehanna - 20     The "no excuses" season starts out on the right foot with a season opening victory. Our Lyco poster is at least with us this year for a week or two:)
F&M - 31     LebVal - 30     A closer game than expected goes down to the wire.
Muhlenberg- 34     Wilkes - 17     Wilkes has a puncher's shot. Not a McGregor shot (which was no shot)......but a puncher's shot.
Widener - 24     Rowan - 20     Widener had a ton of very young talent last year that has matured. Rowan lost quite a bit. This could go either way so I flipped a coin and made bman happy!!

Lastly:
The Eagles will go 8-8 but make tangible progress
The Sixers will get the #7 seed in the East
Gold's spike is fools gold (pun intended)........short it soon
I will take Mount Youngstown/University of Wisconsin/UMHB...............and you can all have the field (kind of like me taking the Golden State Warriors and giving you the field:)

Football is here...............Merry Christmas to all........and to all a good day/night!!

Peace out!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Week Two Predictions:

I had a 24-20 score in the DelVal vs. Wesley game. Off by one point.....but had the wrong winner. If they meet in the playoffs, it's impossible that the Aggies beat Wesley three times in a row. 10-15 years ago under Mangus? Sure. Now?.....no way, no how!! :)

Wilkes - 26      LebVal - 13      Wilkes has a lot back on offense and defense and an All American TE. These teams can't be as bad as they looked last week, can they????
Widener - 23    FDU - 20         Widener returns a motherlode from last year and has a stout defense. FDU has the best passing game in the MAC (imagine if their best WR hadn't transferred to Mount Union before last season, ya know, for the Mount Union Biology Program........they'd be off the charts). It should make for an interesting game in bucolic Chester.
Albright - 55    Misericordia - 13     My preseason MAC Champ has everybody of significance back on both sides of the ball and put up a 38 spot on Salisbury, a very good NJAC team.
Stevenson - 40     King's - 23     Stevenson has just about everybody back on offense, including the stud QB Williams, and will right the ship at home against a mediocre King's team.
DelVal - 23     Lycoming - 20    DelVal has lost the last 2, and 3 of the last 4 up in Williamsport. The Aggies have a stout defense but an average offense. Lyco (speaking of which, will our Lyco poster make an appearance this year if they start out 0-2? I say no!!) Lyco returns every key offensive player and many on defense who played the Aggies to within a TD in Doylestown last year.

Redskins - 24     Eagles - 23     These two teams will both be around .500 this year...............the Widener and Lyco's of the NFC East ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Week Three Predictions:

Widenerbman - 55     Misericordia 13 - Miser has given up 56 and 50 in consecutive weeks and has lost by a combined 54 points. Widener has an explosive offense and a big, fast, stout defense.
Stevenson - 47     FDU - 16     FDU gave up 49 to Widener last week and Stevenson has the motherlode back from last year on offense. FDU can not run the ball and might throw it 70 times!
LebVal - 26     King's - 23     Very close game. LebVal is at home and did move the ball at will last week. I think it will be close regardless of who wins.
Albright - 45     Lycosimba - 10     After seeing what DelVal did at Lycoming last week.......my preseason MAC Champ beats them even worse. Stunning given all that Lyco has back from last year.
DelVal - 30     Wilkes - 16     Two years ago, almost to the day, a far superior Aggies team played a Friday night game up at Wilkes and lost 12-7..........Wilkes only win of the year. While I do not see that happening, I see this as a much closer game than expected. Through two weeks, I put the Aggies offense behind Albright and Stevenson (my preseason #1 and #2) and their passing game behind both of them as well as FDU and King's. DelVal will go as far as their defense takes them this year. The Aggies win this going away and prepare for next week's slugfest with an experienced Stevenson offense, before hitting the road for another two games. Four of the first five MAC games on the road.........the schedule maker did DelVal no favors. :)

Chiefs - 30     Eagles - 17     After lighting up the Superbowl Champs on the road, Andy Reid comes back home and beats down his former team.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am now officially moving Widener into my Preseason 'Top Three' and they, Albright, Stevenson and DelVal form the new 'Top Four'. Stevenson and Widener took care of business and blew out their lesser lights last week........while DelVal and Albright really struggled and got a bit lucky. We'll see if it was a case of looking ahead, or if there are more chinks in their armor.

Week Four Predictions:

King's - 41     Lycosimba - 30       The King's QB might throw and run for 500 yards. Is Lyco the team that got crushed by DelVal or the one that had Albright on the ropes and gave it away? Simba??
Wilkes - 20    Miserables -16        This might be the Miserables best shot at a win this season, Wilkes at home. Won't happen if Wilkes gives the effort they did last week against DelVal.
LebVal - 40    FDU - 33                There might be 1,000 yards of offense in this game and the FDU QB might throw for 500 of it. Toss up game but I'll take Warren's team at home!
Albright - 17  Widenerbman - 16   Albright will have trouble moving the ball against a stout Widener D, as Widener will against an almost equally stout Albright D. My preseason #1 in a close one!

Stevenson - 23     DelVal - 20       My preseason #2 in a tight, last minute victory over my preseason #3. Williams is a pass/run beast at QB and Adoo is a stud at WR and PR/KR. Stevenson did a great job filling the departures on their defense.........a little better of a job that DelVal did on their offense. DelVal's stud freshman kicker from last year is out for the year and it has been quite the circus on kickoff's and extra points. It might very well come down to that as the difference in this game.

Eagles - 27    Giants - 17             Two teams with no running games, average offensive lines and fierce front seven's. The home team by 10!!   

D3MAFAN

I will always keep an eye on the conference slate and will tune into the Del Val vs. Stevenson game. Good luck to all teams this week and a bigger one to Albright.

tweisman5

Below are my week 4 predictions and rankings. The spread (-#) is provided by Massey Ratings and the top 25 rankings are from the Hansen Ratings composite. Good luck to everyone this week!

Week 4 Predictions

Lycoming(-2.5) @ King's: King's wins by 1

Wilkes(-5.5) @ Misericordia: Wilkes wins by 3

Stevenson @ #16 Del Val(-6.5): Stevenson wins by 3

Widener @ Albright(-12.5): Albright wins by 7

FDU @ Leb Val(-11.5): Leb Val wins by 7

Week 4 Rankings
1. Del Val (3-0, 2-0)
2. Stevenson (2-1, 2-0)
3. Albright (3-0, 2-0)
4. Widener (2-1, 2-0)
5. King's (2-1, 1-1)