FB: Presidents' Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:14:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wally_wabash

Quote from: jknezek on January 09, 2017, 11:31:33 AM
Quote from: SaintsFAN on January 09, 2017, 09:45:07 AM

Look at Erik Raeburn formerly of Wabash.  He had ALOT of talent coming back, but he didn't look back after being offered the Savannah State job. 

Just a quick note on this, Raeburn went 3-5 in conference with Savannah State this year. That school had never won more than 1 conference game since joining and hadn't won more than 2 games in a season before this year. Credit where it is due, Raeburn made a splash. It will be interesting to see if he can create a trend where they improve by a game or two a year until they become respectable.

Not at all surprising to this guy.  Also note that he didn't even get to SSU until the very end of March (recruiting is done and dusted at that point) and inherited a team on APR probation which took away spring practice (doubt highly that APR is going to be a problem going forward).  ER's teams are going to be prepared and they're going to play sound.  He'll win more games there very quickly with a recruiting cycle or two.  And I think he'll be in FBS in or around 2020.  He's that good. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

jknezek

Quote from: wally_wabash on January 09, 2017, 12:16:57 PM
Quote from: jknezek on January 09, 2017, 11:31:33 AM

Look at Erik Raeburn formerly of Wabash.  He had ALOT of talent coming back, but he didn't look back after being offered the Savannah State job. 

Just a quick note on this, Raeburn went 3-5 in conference with Savannah State this year. That school had never won more than 1 conference game since joining and hadn't won more than 2 games in a season before this year. Credit where it is due, Raeburn made a splash. It will be interesting to see if he can create a trend where they improve by a game or two a year until they become respectable.

Not at all surprising to this guy.  Also note that he didn't even get to SSU until the very end of March (recruiting is done and dusted at that point) and inherited a team on APR probation which took away spring practice (doubt highly that APR is going to be a problem going forward).  ER's teams are going to be prepared and they're going to play sound.  He'll win more games there very quickly with a recruiting cycle or two.  And I think he'll be in FBS in or around 2020.  He's that good.

Ambitious. I think if he can get them above .500 he will get another FCS job with a higher profile school. Or a Group of Five coordinator job. On the flip side, LL is doing no favors for the "DIII coaches can make the leap to DI" crowd. Yeesh. Last year was no better than what got his predecessor fired, he lost his AD, and this season was a disaster by any measure. He's going to need to turn that around this year, or he will be out so the new AD can bring in his own coach.

ADL70

I just don't think "returning players" is as big a factor as one would think. 

If the HC sees an opportunity to better himself, and he's offered the job then he goes. 

One thing about the CWRU situation; as good a class as those seniors are, they still have a significant road block to the playoffs in their own conference.

"Returning players" was directed at going to BW, JCU is another story altogether.
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

SaintsFAN

Quote from: ADL70 on January 10, 2017, 11:03:30 AM
I just don't think "returning players" is as big a factor as one would think. 

If the HC sees an opportunity to better himself, and he's offered the job then he goes. 

One thing about the CWRU situation; as good a class as those seniors are, they still have a significant road block to the playoffs in their own conference.

"Returning players" was directed at going to BW, JCU is another story altogether.

Right but I disagree completely.  I was with some coaches over the weekend and we covered this.  I forget the direct quote, but the gist is they don't generally stay for the returning kids. 
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

ADL70

SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

E.115

A few updates for Case Western Reserve I've seen:

1) A local scrimmage of John Carroll @ Case Western Reserve scheduled for Aug 25 http://www.news-herald.com/article/HR/20170409/SPORTS/170409444

2) Incoming Freshman class consists of 45 players from 14 different states (the largest class in recent memory) http://athletics.case.edu/sports/fball/2016-17/releases/20170505gcni5c

This number is interesting as I seem to recall Debeljak's first year starting at CWRU he had approximately 45 total players.

They'll be joining 71 returning players.

3) DiSanto Field is being resurfaced this month:

DiSanto Field's turf...will be replaced with FieldTurf Revolution 360 fiber with an EcoSense EPDM fill.  The Revolution 360 surface is FieldTurf's top-of-the-line product, and has been used at the new Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta, Georgia (future home of the NFL's Atlanta Falcons and MLS' Atlanta United) and Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, Massachusetts (home of the NFL's New England Patriots and MLS' New England Revolution).

http://athletics.case.edu/general/2016-17/releases/20170518ix0tuh

4) Two of last year's captains who were injured/lost at the beginning of the season last year are returning (Cody Calhoun SS and Zech Medved TE).   http://athletics.case.edu/sports/fball/2017-18/roster

5) Coach John Pont has left to be Offensive Coordinator at University of Chicago http://athletics.uchicago.edu/sports/fball/2016-17/releases/20170124hcumx14

WashJeff68

Nothing to do with football, but as I write this ThePresidents are playing in the final series for he DIII Baseball championship. Their coach played for Alleghany when they won, and he could win as a coach this year.
Older than Springtime...Younger than dirt

Bob.Gregg

NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. (pacathletics.org) – Thomas More College President David A. Armstrong, J.D. announced Wednesday that the school will end its 12-year membership in the Presidents' Athletic Conference (PAC) at the conclusion of the 2017-18 academic year.

Thomas More will compete in the PAC regular seasons and conference championships of 19 league-sponsored sports during the 2017-18 academic year.

"Thomas More College has appreciated its time in the PAC and its member institutions. We look forward to competing in the conference during the 2017-18 academic year while establishing a path for the future of our athletic programs that fits our mission as a Catholic liberal arts college that has a reputation for excellence in the classroom and on the field. With record enrollment growth and plans for campus revitalization, we feel it is the best time for TMC to seek new partnerships which will enhance our strategic goals," said Armstrong.

"As a former coach and director of athletics, I've had the opportunity to represent the PAC in various capacities and certainly cherish my time serving as chair of the PAC's Presidents' Council throughout the 60th Anniversary celebration during the 2014-15 academic year. The PAC has been and will continue to be a nationally-respected conference. We are excited to compete in our final seasons this academic year with the PAC and wish our colleagues well in the future."

Located in Crestview Hills, Kentucky, a suburb of Cincinnati, Ohio, Thomas More was announced as the league's seventh member on April 7, 2005 after spending nine years as a Division III independent. Thomas More fields teams in 22 varsity sports and has sent 71 teams to NCAA Championships since joining the NCAA in 1990.

"We have valued our partnership with Thomas More (College) since 2005 and appreciate all of its efforts to support our institutions, our student-athletes and our conference. We have all benefited from Thomas More's presence in our league over the last 12 years and we certainly wish them the best moving forward," said Joe Onderko, PAC Commissioner.
Been wrong before.  Will be wrong again.

Ron Boerger

So where do they end up, USA South?   Their "reputation for excellence in the classroom" notwithstanding, they don't have the academic chops the SAA requires.   

Bob.Gregg

We've been hearing D-II for several years....
Been wrong before.  Will be wrong again.

Scots13

And if they do, how long until they "Mississippi College" and flip back (and then back again)?
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

Scots13

I'd suspect an announcement soon of their plans since they have about 12 months left.  Seems like they are high tailing it PDQ.

I bet the boys in VA would like them to trade the PACtion for ODACtion...
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

Ron Boerger

Quote from: Scots13 on May 31, 2017, 03:53:18 PM
I'd suspect an announcement soon of their plans since they have about 12 months left.  Seems like they are high tailing it PDQ.

Yep.  It's surprising they'd announce departure plans without future plans, to be honest. 

jknezek

Quote from: Ron Boerger on May 31, 2017, 03:57:22 PM
Quote from: Scots13 on May 31, 2017, 03:53:18 PM

Yep.  It's surprising they'd announce departure plans without future plans, to be honest.

That was my thought too. No one wants to be an independent these days. Brutal road. So they must have something else more or less lined up.

WashJeff68

I agree with Bob - DII is most likely place given their ambitions. Only DII conference that looks logical is the Great Midwest with most schools in Ohio and most of the rest in bordering states. It's a new conference with 8 current members (3 football) and 6 joining this year (all with football). That would make 14 total members with 9 playing football. TMC would round that out. A good fit geographically for TMC - less travel than current PAC locations.

Could they consider NAIA?
Older than Springtime...Younger than dirt