FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

formerd3db

Gregory:

Thanks for the insight info on Caltech (as well as the return Easter wishes)-both much appreciated.  I did not know what their specific reasons and/or aspects involved in deciding not to have a football program and was otherwise just including them on the list of the various California schools that had dropped/didn't sponsor football (regardless of NCAA level-which, of course, certainly involves different reasons/criteria with regards to the DI schools dropping football in the past).  That said, the info you shared explains much.  After reading your info, I guess that just goes back to what I (have in the past) would attribute, in one sense, to the "Swarthmore Debacle" of some 17+ years ago. ;)

As far as the elimination of two-a-days, in another sense (tradition and what most of us "old school former players" have "sentimental" memories of (and tradition, at the very least), I am sad to see those go.  On the other hand, however, I certainly understand the reasoning (my "day job not withstanding ;D) and overall it is for the best.  Yet, the NCAA committee did provide an "olive branch" in that they allowed the walk-through sessions in the specified time period after a contact session and...the allowance of spring practices for DIII several years ago.  That is an appropriate compromise I would venture to say and something to be glad about/thankful for at the very least.

And finally, I suppose it is too early as yet for any info you or others might be privy to with regard to possible candidates to replace Rundle on the IWU staff.  Any guesses as to if they "stay in house" or reach outside for that? 
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

AndOne

Not football, but condolences to the entire Wheaton College family on the loos of freshman Ethan Roser yesterday afternoon. Ethan, who I believe was a member of the soccer team, was tragically killed when he was struck in the head during the hammer throw event at a track and field meet at which he was working as a volunteer.

robertgoulet

Quote from: AndOne on April 23, 2017, 01:38:34 AM
Not football, but condolences to the entire Wheaton College family on the loos of freshman Ethan Roser yesterday afternoon. Ethan, who I believe was a member of the soccer team, was tragically killed when he was struck in the head during the hammer throw event at a track and field meet at which he was working as a volunteer.

Absolutely terrible. Condolences.
You win! You always do!

matblake

badgerwarhawk

What a horrible thing.  I can't begin to imagine the pain his family and loved ones are feeling.  No one sends their children to college expecting anything close to something this tragic. 
"Just think twice is my only advice."

HSCTiger74

I have to believe that it's already happening, but I hope that there is a lot of support being offered to the athlete who actually threw the hammer. What happened was obviously a tragic accident, but it would still be a terrible burden to bear.
TANSTAAFL

CardinalAlum

Wasn't sure if it was mentioned previously that he had declared, but NPU WR Devin Childress went undrafted as an early entry into the NFL Draft... ::)

He got bad advice somewhere.
D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022

NCF

Quote from: Titan Q on May 12, 2017, 07:58:24 AM
Some information on IWU's recruiting class...

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/football/iwu-football-team-gets-six-transfers-in-recruiting-class/article_80d40263-5bae-52e9-80ab-9d832a76d0d3.html

Well, this is interesting! Dave Lux and Jimmy Vallos were students of mine in junior high. I got to watch Lux play in high school and the kid is a beast. I would not be surprised if he starts in the fall. I have a feeling they were swayed by another student of mine who was a freshman last year. I might actually (gag :-X :-X :P :P ;D ;D ;D ;D) have to watch some IWU games that don't involve NC just to watch these guys play. :D :D :D
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Gregory Sager on May 12, 2017, 11:42:26 AM
Quote from: Titan Q on May 12, 2017, 07:58:24 AM
Some information on IWU's recruiting class...

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/football/iwu-football-team-gets-six-transfers-in-recruiting-class/article_80d40263-5bae-52e9-80ab-9d832a76d0d3.html

The reporter needs to get up to date on Iowa Wesleyan, which moved from the NAIA to NCAA D3 five years ago.

I'm sure someday they will actually get through the process and become a full member. It's been a struggle.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Gregory Sager

Pat, at this point I'm sure that the Iowa Wesleyan people are counting their blessings that they've even been able to keep the school's doors open. The school's had a rough time of it in recent years.

Pat Coleman

No doubt. And no doubt that athletics can contribute more by being more effective. But what it shows is that schools making the leap to the NCAA need to have their ducks in a row and have effective leadership that knows what it takes before entering the process.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.