BB: WIAC: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by BDB, December 30, 2005, 09:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TitanDoubles

UW-Oshkosh finishes their spring trip to Florida on a high note with five wins in a row putting them at 7-4 on the season. The 3-2 win over St. Thomas could look good on a resume if the Tommies (4-8) can turn it around in conference play.

I'm not really sure what to think of this Oshkosh squad after looking at the first 12 games. I think they're setting themselves up well for a strong conference season but it remains to see how consistent the pitching and defense will be. I think they have the offense to keep them in almost every game but they're gonna need more consistent pitching and defense to be a threat to Whitewater.

TitanDoubles

Quote from: TitanDoubles on March 27, 2017, 01:16:56 PM
UW-Oshkosh finishes their spring trip to Florida on a high note with five wins in a row putting them at 7-4 on the season. The 3-2 win over St. Thomas could look good on a resume if the Tommies (4-8) can turn it around in conference play.

I'm not really sure what to think of this Oshkosh squad after looking at the first 12 games. I think they're setting themselves up well for a strong conference season but it remains to see how consistent the pitching and defense will be. I think they have the offense to keep them in almost every game but they're gonna need more consistent pitching and defense to be a threat to Whitewater.
Really wish I knew how to edit posts...

BigPoppa

While Point is 5-7, those losses are all to very good programs(I am placing Benedictine in that class due to Coach Adam Smith who led his CUC teams head to head w WIAC programs). They may be a bit down, but I wouldn't count the Pointers out.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Just Bill

Quote from: TitanDoubles on March 27, 2017, 02:14:16 PM

I think you need a minimum of 200 posts or something like that to gain the ability to edit.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

badgerwarhawk

WARHAWKS outfielder Matt Wary is this week's WIAC Position Player of the Week....

Matt Wary (Elk Grove, Ill./Elk Grove), Sophomore, Outfielder
Wary led the team in batting average (.571), hits (8), runs scored (4), total bases (14) and runs batted in (4) in three games last week to help the No. 4 Warhawks to a 3-0 week in games played at the RussMatt Invitational in Central Florida. In UW-Whitewater's 5-4 triumph over Southern Maine on March 20, he finished 3-for-5 with a double, two runs scored and one RBI, posting a run-scoring single in the second inning and scoring what proved to be the game-winning run in the seventh. One day later, Wary registered one hit and scored a key insurance run on a wild pitch in the fifth inning of the Warhawks' 3-1 victory over Clarkson (N.Y.). On Wednesday, he posted four hits, including one double and one home run, and knocked in three runs during UW-Whitewater's 7-6 win over Union (N.Y.). Three innings after leading off the contest with his first homer of the season, Wary plated another run on a single, and added a go-ahead RBI base hit in the bottom of the eighth.
"Just think twice is my only advice."

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Just Bill on March 27, 2017, 03:36:25 PM
Quote from: TitanDoubles on March 27, 2017, 02:14:16 PM

I think you need a minimum of 200 posts or something like that to gain the ability to edit.

That might come at 50 posts, but either way, you have a little ways to go.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

ShineTime

Uwsp dominates ripon today and takes a doubleheader. 
GOTTA LOVE ACT 10

cubs

Quote from: ShineTime on March 29, 2017, 11:29:17 PM
Your definition of "dominate" must be different than mine....  ::)

Ripon put up eight runs in the first inning of Game #2 and held a lead a lead all the way to the seventh inning until Point tied the game at 8-8.  After Point scored six in the eight inning to take a 14-8 lead, Ripon put up another crooked number scoring six in the ninth inning to tie it 14-14 before Point won it in the bottom half 15-14.

Seeing a team lead for one inning of a nine inning game seems to be the opposite of domination....  But maybe that just me?  :-\
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

badgerwarhawk

Standings & Results (Thru 3/29)

WARHAWKS: 10-2
Lacrosse: 10-3
Platteville: 11-4
Oshkosh: 7-4
Stevens Point: 7-7
Stout: 3-10

WARHAWKS: St Thomas (W 5-2, W 10-1), Concordia Moorhead (L 0-1, W 3-2), Wm Paterson (W 9-7), Webster (W 10-2), Rutgers-Camden (W 7-2), Southern Maine (W 5-4), Clarkson (W 3-1), Union (W 7-6), St Scholastica  (W, 10-5, L 8-10)

Lacrosse: St Johns (L 0-1, W 6-0), Concordia-Chicago (W 6-2), College of New Jersey (W 6-4), Wm Paterson (L 4-5), Webster (L 0-4), Rampo (W 5-3), Southern Maine (W 4-2), Benedictine (W 10-5), Cornell (W 3-1,  W 10-2), St Mary's (W 4-3, W 7-3)

Platteville: Fontbonne (W 6-4), Buena Vista (L 0-10), Ripon (W 8-2), Stockton (W 5-2), McDaniel (L 0-5), College of New Jersey (L 7-8), Minn Morris (W 7-2), Eastern Connecticut (W 7-4), Western New England (L 0-3), Simpson (W 14-7, W 10-2), Northland (W 5-3, W 6-1), Marian (W 6-1, W 4-3)

Oshkosh: Adrian (W 8-4), Birmingham Southern (L 3-6), Transylvania (W 8-4), Mass-Boston (L 3-4), Eastern Connecticut (L 5-17), Clarkson (L 14-16), Washington Jefferson (W 4-1), Bowdoin (W 6-1, W 10-0), St Thomas (W 3-2), Union (W 6-1)

Stevens Point: St Thomas (L 2-6, L 5-7), Clarkson (W 6-5), Rampo (L 4-6, L 5-15), Westfield State (W 9-3), St Olaf (W 7-1), Worcester State (W 13-3), Southern Maine (L 4-6, L 4-6), Benedictine (L 1-11), Washington Jefferson (W 5-4), Ripon (W 6-1, W 15-14)

Stout: Bethel (W 1-0, L 0-8), Hamline (L 1-2, W 6-1), Augsburg (L 1-5, L 4-7), New York University (L 6-17), Wisconsin Lutheran (L 6-8), Skidmore (L 1-12), LaSalle (W 9-6), North Park (L 1-8), Western Connecticut (L 3-20), Edgewood (L 1-6)

WIAC: 48-30 (.620)

Just Bill

Quote from: cubs on March 30, 2017, 09:27:22 AM
Quote from: ShineTime on March 29, 2017, 11:29:17 PM
Your definition of "dominate" must be different than mine....  ::)

Ripon put up eight runs in the first inning of Game #2 and held a lead a lead all the way to the seventh inning until Point tied the game at 8-8.  After Point scored six in the eight inning to take a 14-8 lead, Ripon put up another crooked number scoring six in the ninth inning to tie it 14-14 before Point won it in the bottom half 15-14.

Seeing a team lead for one inning of a nine inning game seems to be the opposite of domination....  But maybe that just me?  :-\
Little Lookout Park rarely disappoints if you like a lot of runs.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

badgerwarhawk

St Scholastica: 5, 10
WARHAWKS: 10, 8 (11 inn)

Austin Jones scattered 7 hits, surrendered 1 run (earned) and struck out 7 in six innings to pick up his fourth win of the season in game one.  SS took an early one run lead with an RBI single in the fourth inning but the WARHAWKS put the game away with 8 in their half.  Kuczynski and Borgardt each drove in a pair with singles, Wary tripled to drive in a run, Fleischman scored on a balk and both Wary and Helbing scored runs on wild pitches.  Chamberlain added a ninth run with an RBI single in the fifth.  SS got a run back in the seventh with an RBI double but the WARHAWKS matched it in the bottom of the innings with another RBI from Chamberlain.  Things got a little dicey in the ninth when SS opened the inning with a walk and single.  After a pair of outs a pair of doubles accounted for three runs.  Shah picked up a save pitching the last three innings.  The senior allowed 4 runs on 4 hits, walking and striking out three.  Chamberlain (3x4, 1 RS, 2 RBI) and Fleischman (2x4, 2 RS, 2B) had multiple hits while Wary (1), Kuczynski (2) and Borgardt (2) each drove in runs. 

SS used a pair of doubles and a single to plate two runs in the third inning and take the early lead in game two.  However the WARHAWKS responded with four in the fourth on a SS throwing error and a three run home run by White.  The 4-3 lead was short lived however as SS put three more runs on the board in the fifth when the inning opened single, single and a double on which the runner scored after a WARHAWKS throwing error.  As was the case with the WARHAWKS 4-2 lead the SS 5-4 lead only lasted until the next WARHAWKS at bat.  After the inning opened with a pair of walks sandwiching a single Aldridge's infield ground out score a run and Kucyzinski singled up the middle to drive in a pair staking the WARHAWKS to a 7-5 lead.  The WARHAWKS added an eighth run in the eighth with an unearned run on Aiello's ground out.  For what ever reason closing out either game yesterday proved a challenge for the WARHAWKS as SS scored three times on a double, throwing error, triple and a single and after the WARHAWKS stranded a runner in scoring position in the bottom of the inning the game went to into extras.  Both teams were retired in order in the tenth but SS scored what proved to be the winning runs with a pair in the eleventh on a single, double and a passed ball.  Chamberlain (2x4, 2 RS) and Borgardt (2x3) were the only WARHAWKS with multiple hits.  Aldridge (2), Kuczynski (2) White (3) and Aiello (1) each had RBIs.  Renz got the start and allowed 10 hits and 5 earned runs in 5 innings.  While he only walked a pair it seemed he was consistently behind in the count.  Renz struck out 3.  Nompleggi pitched a pair of hitless innings allowing only a single base runner due to a walk.  Wuethrich relieved him but stuggled giving up 3 hits (2 extra base) and 3 runs (2 earned) with a walk and a pair of strikeouts in an inning.  Kaska (0-2) took the loss despite striking out 6 in three innings.  Kaska allowed a pair of hits and runs (1 earned) walking one. 

The WARHAWKS travel to Ripon for a pair next Wednesday before opening conference play hosting La Crosse on the weekend.   

TitanDoubles

UW-La Cross took two from Saint Mary's (MN) yesterday. Games were a lot closer than I would've expected. I have a feeling that it has more to do with UWL being down than it does with SMU being that good.

SMU reliever Josh Hottinger (Oconomowoc native and UWO transfer) is off to a rough start (5.62 ERA in 8 IP). I'm sure he was a guy that SMU was counting on but it doesn't seem like he's going to be able to come through. He may get a chance to prove himself against UWO in their upcoming double header this weekend. I wouldn't bet on him getting the job done against this UWO offense though.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: TitanDoubles on March 30, 2017, 01:26:08 PM
UW-La Cross took two from Saint Mary's (MN) yesterday. Games were a lot closer than I would've expected. I have a feeling that it has more to do with UWL being down than it does with SMU being that good.

I thought that UW-La did lose a lot but it appears that the Eagles will be a fixture at the top of the standings.  The first test for a coach is to put together a team that is competitive, the second test is to continue that when the playes that brought you to the top start leaving.  UW-La's coach is doing just that.

cubs

UWO gets swept in a pair of one-run games today in Duluth, losing 5-4 and 4-3 to St. Scholastica....
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion