MBB: Coast 2 Coast Athletic Conference

Started by Mr. Ypsi, March 27, 2005, 10:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronk

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 09, 2017, 01:00:49 PM
Babson actually seats 1000-1200... they are fine to host numbers wise and have hosted in the past (two years ago). Their only concern is making sure the fire marshall doesn't shut them down (too many people allowed in).

They will go with a split session as will Marietta (5 & 8 pm game times in Ohio!). The NCAA has tried to allow more teams who couldn't host in the past to host because it is Division III and saying no to someone with a 1000 seat gym seams a bit harsh. It isn't like they can just go out and build a new gymnasium. There is a line... Albertus Magnus may be able to get away with hosting the opening weekend, but is out of the second. Wesley can't even host the opening weekend unless they find a new gym. But in this case, Babson is perfectly fine in the eyes of the NCAA.

Then they ought to get rid of it as a requirement to host a sectional. And Babson's seating capacity shouldn't be listed as 750.

Smitty Oom

http://www.babsonathletics.com/information/facilities/webstercenter#staake

I've never been there but it says the bleacher capacity is only 650. And from watching multiple online games I can tell you that there are only bleachers on one side of the court, but there is additional viewing room on what appears to be a track above that people watch from, and this is probably where the additional 350 come from.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Smitty Oom on March 09, 2017, 03:12:53 PM
http://www.babsonathletics.com/information/facilities/webstercenter#staake

I've never been there but it says the bleacher capacity is only 650. And from watching multiple online games I can tell you that there are only bleachers on one side of the court, but there is additional viewing room on what appears to be a track above that people watch from, and this is probably where the additional 350 come from.

I'm pretty sure they have extra capacity seating they can bring in for games like this.  If I recall, we had the same discussion two years ago.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

We did have the same conversation two years ago... the NCAA has been fine with it... not sure why we keep rehashing it.

And ronk, they won't get rid of it as a requirement because they want at least enough seats for fans to do go to see the game. If you have too few, then what is the point. Also, there is revenue at the gate to keep in mind.

FYI - they brought in extra bleachers (as many schools do) two years ago... anyone want to bet if they bring in those bleachers again this time?
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

CNU85

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 09, 2017, 06:48:41 PM
We did have the same conversation two years ago... the NCAA has been fine with it... not sure why we keep rehashing it.

And ronk, they won't get rid of it as a requirement because they want at least enough seats for fans to do go to see the game. If you have too few, then what is the point. Also, there is revenue at the gate to keep in mind.

FYI - they brought in extra bleachers (as many schools do) two years ago... anyone want to bet if they bring in those bleachers again this time?

Just because it is being mentioned doesn't mean it is being rehashed. I find the topic interesting. I was not part of the "rehash" from two years ago. And I'm sure many folks reading this thread are also new to the conversation. Always keep in mind your audience. Im sorry you feel like this is old news and it annoys you to "rehash". For some, like myself, I've never heard this conversation. And I'm sure in a few years if it happens again, there will be someone totally unaware of this conversation and you might have to "rehash" some more. Just a part of the job.

Swish3

Goose13

I totally forgot about the mens game until 730 tonight and checked the score. Tough one from what it looks like. My CNU faithful, I look forward to reading what your thoughts were on the game. Congrats to the women for advancing to t the Elite 8.

AllStar

As a follower of the Little East/Keene, I just wanted to say Christopher Newport is just a tremendous team and I'm sure they'll make many more tournament runs in the future!

CNU85

Quote from: AllStar on March 10, 2017, 09:05:57 PM
As a follower of the Little East/Keene, I just wanted to say Christopher Newport is just a tremendous team and I'm sure they'll make many more tournament runs in the future!

Thanks....I think the future is just as bright. It will be an adjustment next year not to see #44, #5, #40 and #11 on the court. But we still have 2 1,000 point players returning in Carter (#3) and Mcfarland (#4). And some really good Freshmen who saw significant playing time this year.... #31, #22, #52 as well as #1, #35 and #33......a good group to add to the rising seniors. Also Femi (#10) was only a sophomore......Hopefully #20 Miller will be back on the court after an injury this season. Every one on that roster is capable of being an impact player next year, even the ones I didn't mention specifically.

CNU85

Congrats to Tim Daly...NABC All-American!

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

THis news could very well mean the CAC dodge's another bullet. With Southern Virginia not headed to the ODAC, it may mean SVU and York remain keeping the CAC strong: http://www.d3sports.com/notables/2017/06/odac-expands-to-add-ferrum.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

CNU85

I hope you are correct, d-mac......Conference shuffling isn't fun. CNU has only "shuffled" once, but that is enough for me. But then again, I miss the days of the Cincinnati Reds being in the NL West.
;D ;D

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Well it isn't over to be sure. This entire new conference is going to force some serious decisions for a lot of people. That doesn't mean York isn't finally done with the CAC relationship despite years of loyalty and looks for a little more even playing field. That doesn't mean SVA isn't looking for something closer to home (i.e. the USA South - that is just me guessing; haven't heard a thing). It also doesn't mean others are fed up and decide to see if there are better pastures to graze in.

A lot of moving pieces... and the new conference hasn't, surprisingly, even formed as of yet.

CNU85

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on June 29, 2017, 01:54:39 PM
Well it isn't over to be sure. This entire new conference is going to force some serious decisions for a lot of people. That doesn't mean York isn't finally done with the CAC relationship despite years of loyalty and looks for a little more even playing field. That doesn't mean SVA isn't looking for something closer to home (i.e. the USA South - that is just me guessing; haven't heard a thing). It also doesn't mean others are fed up and decide to see if there are better pastures to graze in.

A lot of moving pieces... and the new conference hasn't, surprisingly, even formed as of yet.

I've always wondered if the CAC would try to find a few more football schools. Or convince a current member or two to start football.  I don't think the NJAC for football is along term solution. But. like you said...that's just me!