FB: USA South Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottiedoug

What to make of East Tennessee, then?  Blount County, where Maryville is, voted overwhelmingly against secession twice and East Tennessee by and large did not embrace the Confederacy.  Never mind what the flagwavers think.

Scots13

Quote from: scottiedoug on June 29, 2017, 11:37:08 AM
What to make of East Tennessee, then?  Blount County, where Maryville is, voted overwhelmingly against secession twice and East Tennessee by and large did not embrace the Confederacy.  Never mind what the flagwavers think.

Good point. As you know, there are many "versions" of Tennessee depending on who you ask. Memphis and Maryville have as much in common as 4th cousins twice removed. Many people I know say they are from East Tennessee instead of simply saying Tennessee.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

jknezek

Quote from: scottiedoug on June 29, 2017, 11:37:08 AM

That's pretty much the story in many of the Confederacy States at the time. They weren't much more homogeneous in the 1860s than the country is now. For example, check out the story of "The Free State of Winston" or "The Republic of Winston". The Union Army even had a 1st Alabama Cavalry Regiment.

Arkansas, Mississippi, and TN had small or large areas of similar discontent with the Confederacy.

Regardless, and to bring back our DIII content, I think up and around D.C. and out to Shenandoah U, and perhaps even down toward the Harrisonburg/EMU area, many Virginians probably would be happy to affiliate with the Mid-Atlantic nowadays. Out by W&L and down to E&H territory, and given the history across toward RMC around Richmond, Virginians probably still mostly consider themselves Southerners.

In very generic terms of course.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

This reminds me of the look on people's faces when I remind them the Mason-Dixon line is between Maryland and Pennsylvania (and Delaware) and actually has NOTHING to do with the Civil War (line was set well before those days). There is a sign on I-83 just north of where I live on the border with PA that simply says "Mason-Dixon Line."
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Scots13

Has anybody heard any information on Media Day this year? Usually the last Friday of July but haven't read anything about it.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

Hawks88

Scots13

Congratulations to Maryville's Ethan Williams on being named a D3football.com Preseason All-American (2nd team safety)
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

Hawks88

123 players report today at Huntingdon, 76 of those are returning players. A bit smaller freshman class than usual. Hopefully more quality than quantity this year with all the open positions? We'll see. Looking forward to seeing what we've got.

Go Hawks!

Scots13

I'd take a a class of 40-something over a class of 60+ any year.

I have no idea what kind of numbers Maryville has coming in. Roaming around on social media over the off-season leads me to believe we might have smaller freshmen numbers than in years past.  Freshmen report today. I heard way back in January or February we have a transfer coming in that was once a walk-on at UAB. We'll see if that rumor is true in a couple of days.

Also just learned UAB was a DIII independent back in the early 90's. The more ya know.
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

Hawks88

I think Samford footbal was DIII for a few years in the '80s when they started it up.

Now to call up the roster page and refresh it 20 or 30 times a day until the freshmen are added so I can look up high-light videos. ;)

Scots13

Quote from: Hawks88 on August 09, 2017, 12:01:09 PM
I think Samford footbal was DIII for a few years in the '80s when they started it up.

Now to call up the roster page and refresh it 20 or 30 times a day until the freshmen are added so I can look up high-light videos. ;)

Bobby Bowden's first game/win as a head coach was the 1959 season opener against the Orange and Garnet. 14-0 Howard/Samford. Coach Ierulli found the game film in storage my sophomore or junior year (can't remember which one) and showed the team.

Found an article saying Samford was D3 in '87 and made the jump to I-AA in '89. Good catch, Hawks. http://americansportsnet.com/news/greatest-moments-samford-launched-the-legacy-of-bobby-bowden-and-sons
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

Scots13

http://usasouth.net/sports/fball/2017-18/releases/20170808gh4lr8

2017 USA South Coaches Preseason Football Poll
Rank   Institution (1st Place Votes)   Pts.
t-1.   Huntingdon (4)   45
t-1.   Maryville (3)   45
3.   N.C. Wesleyan   37
4.   Ferrum (1)   32
5.   Averett   25
6.   LaGrange   17
7.   Methodist   16
8.   Greensboro   7
--   *Brevard   -
*Ineligible for USA South Championship (Div. III Reclassifying Member)

Personally, any of the top 5 can make a run at it this year. I think NCWC has the best shot outside of Huntingdon or Maryville. Over the last 2 seasons, they've beaten Huntingdon and Maryville...maybe they can do both this year?

24 more days!!
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

Scots13

Quote from: Hawks88 on August 08, 2017, 10:19:29 PM
123 players report today at Huntingdon, 76 of those are returning players.

About the same numbers for Maryville from what I've heard. 75-ish returners and a freshman class of 60 or so. Listened to the weekly Blount Co. sports report on the radio Saturday-- MC has all 11 starters on defense back plus 5 or 6 high rep guys and 7 on offense. If we can get constant play from a first year starting QB, this might be a fun year.

Edit:

The USAC office is posting videos on YouTube for previews this year...Brevard's first of the list. Crazy number: 24. As in 24 players on the spring roster.
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

hasanova

Ouch.  Campbell 70, Methodist 0.  Sixty-two yards total offense for MU.  Looks like Campbell is already gearing up for next year's shift to DI scholarship.  I realize this is a bit of a mismatch, but hope MU didn't have any injuries.

Scots13

I caught the second half last night. Ouch is the right word, but to be fair to MU they were a 3-6 team a year ago. There's about 15 teams in our division that could blast MU the same way, or even worse.
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!