Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldknight

Quote from: AppletonRocks on December 10, 2017, 10:32:37 AM
Quote from: goodknight on December 06, 2017, 10:08:41 PM
Quote from: oldknight on December 06, 2017, 09:07:31 PM
Quote from: almcguirejr on December 06, 2017, 08:31:06 PM
Quote from: wiz on December 06, 2017, 07:08:16 PM
Black is an acceptable Calvin uniform color as evidenced by the schools brand guidelines.  Colors are not exclusely limited to maroon and gold.  https://calvin.edu/offices-services/communications-marketing/calvin-brand/visual-guidelines/

"Calvin's color palette is anchored by the legacy of its maroon and gold, while bolstered by the newness and energy of a supporting palette. These colors communicate Calvin's story of discovery and fearless investigation."

Who writes this bull ****?

Don't know, but I'm sure he got paid money to do it. If my father read those words he would say "niet zo gereformeerd if you ask me."

This was crafted, almost certainly, by the college's "brand steward," who was not an English major, but an art/design sort. In the ivory tower at many colleges these days, people are inhaling their own fumes -- and getting giddy. ::) :o

Based on the attendance yesterday for a great game at Calvin, they don't focus on ticket sales.  :o

At 568, that was a poor attendance showing for a great game. On the other hand, that's still only 8 fewer bodies than those who showed up for an even greater game (a double OT win vs. Augustana) when the Titans hosted the then 2nd ranked Vikings in Oshkosh the previous Saturday. Maybe--by gosh--there was a poorly focused ticket sales effort December 2 as well. :-\

realist

Quote from: oldknight on December 09, 2017, 05:25:04 PM
Calvin suffers a disappointing 79-74 loss to a superb, 8th ranked, UW-Oshkosh quintet in a game highly reminiscent of the Knight loss at Aquinas. In both games, Calvin played the first 35 minutes quite well, leading almost the entire way, only to lose it down the stretch as the Knights couldn't execute their offense when they really needed to do so. Hopefully, this won't be a recurring theme this season. The visitors from the Badger state showed their mettle by taking repeated punches from the home team, displayed a nicely balanced inside-out game, featured excellent passing and off-the-ball cuts that freed up perimeter shooters, and made precious few mistakes. After Calvin took a 66-53 lead midway through the second frame, the Titans went on a 15-2 run to tie things up. Calvin scored the next six to take a 74-68 lead with four minutes to go but never scored again. A missed, wide open put-back by Luke Morrison with about 3 minutes left and the Knights nursing a two point lead really hurt, but Oshkosh didn't take the lead under the final 48 seconds with a three pointer to put them up 75-74. Oshkosh led the first 2+ minutes of the game, and the last 48 seconds, and no where else. Like I said, a very disappointing loss to a very good team. Derrick DeVries led Calvin with 19, followed by Walter with 11 and Bos 10. Other game notes:

--Michael Wilks on the bench in street clothes, still suffering from the concussion he took in the Martin Luther game 8 days ago. For the most part it didn't make a difference but the team might have used him down the stretch when Calvin was scratching for points.

--an interesting coaching decision to pull Luke Morrison after his missed put-back and never put him back in the game. 

--A very nice second half by DeVries who scored 16 points and grabbed 4 boards after the break, though he may have tired late. Of course, the rest of the team may have as well.
As you mentioned Calvin played a very good game up until the last four minutes.  For most of the game Calvin played with confidence, and when guys got the feeling they fired it up with good results.  At the four minute mark, and with a lead Calvin decides now would be a good time to run some time off the clock.  The problem is they did a poor job of clock management, and took panic/desperation shots with a few seconds left on the clock.  It didn't work the first time they came down the floor using that tactic.  It didn't work either the second or third time they tried it.  Granted they did take time off the clock, but failed to score.  This has to be the basketball equivalent of the "prevent defense" in football.  Calvin would be better served by playing the entire 40 minutes to win the game, and forget the part when they play "not to lose it". We know they can do it because they did play the entire 40 minutes to win against Wheaton.
"If you are catching flack it means you are over the target".  Brietbart.

arena

I planned on making that point. Reminded me of a game against Hope where Calvin blew a almost 20 point lead.

HopeKnight

Quote from: sac on December 09, 2017, 05:51:09 PM
Stevens Point 91  Hope 77

Hope was better today but trailed all game that I saw, pulled within 1 once or twice and 4 with 3 and change to go, Nate Dodge hit 2 straight threes in part of a personal 14 straight point stretch to push the Pointers ahead for good.  Dodge finished with 42 on 10-13 shooting from beyond the arc.

Beckman 21, Hawkins 17, Ray 17

Tough weekend for Hope - first game was very sloppy in a route and 2nd was competitive yet defensively very poor. Too many open looks and easy threes. Theme remains that Hope's undersized guards simply haven't been able to slow down good guards with any size (Marietta, CS, UWPV & UWSP). Both Dante & Jason at 5'10 have quickness & strength to compete defensively but Riley & Danny Beckman at 5'9 155 are both very small and light and have little impact defensively. Guards shoot right over them and play right through them on both ends of the court. There has also been a lack of consistent outside shooting to give Jason & Dante room to operate. Dante has really struggled in the half court sets with no spacing for drives or penetration. Fortunately, Teddy Ray has started hitting some threes and Dennis & Rob keep improving despite limited touches. It will be interesting to see who steps up from the young bigs. Good news is the next game is in Florida on December 19th giving the team some time to figure things out and improve - conference starts soon. Go Hope! 

AppletonRocks

Quote from: oldknight on December 10, 2017, 01:45:01 PM
Quote from: AppletonRocks on December 10, 2017, 10:32:37 AM
Quote from: goodknight on December 06, 2017, 10:08:41 PM
Quote from: oldknight on December 06, 2017, 09:07:31 PM
Quote from: almcguirejr on December 06, 2017, 08:31:06 PM
Quote from: wiz on December 06, 2017, 07:08:16 PM
Black is an acceptable Calvin uniform color as evidenced by the schools brand guidelines.  Colors are not exclusely limited to maroon and gold.  https://calvin.edu/offices-services/communications-marketing/calvin-brand/visual-guidelines/

"Calvin's color palette is anchored by the legacy of its maroon and gold, while bolstered by the newness and energy of a supporting palette. These colors communicate Calvin's story of discovery and fearless investigation."

Who writes this bull ****?

Don't know, but I'm sure he got paid money to do it. If my father read those words he would say "niet zo gereformeerd if you ask me."

This was crafted, almost certainly, by the college's "brand steward," who was not an English major, but an art/design sort. In the ivory tower at many colleges these days, people are inhaling their own fumes -- and getting giddy. ::) :o

Based on the attendance yesterday for a great game at Calvin, they don't focus on ticket sales.  :o

At 568, that was a poor attendance showing for a great game. On the other hand, that's still only 8 fewer bodies than those who showed up for an even greater game (a double OT win vs. Augustana) when the Titans hosted the then 2nd ranked Vikings in Oshkosh the previous Saturday. Maybe--by gosh--there was a poorly focused ticket sales effort December 2 as well. :-\

That game was played directly vs. the Big Ten Football Title game...something folks in Michigan have forgotten about since it's been so long. So Titans get a pass. 

Run the floor or Run DMC !!

2016 WIAC Pick 'Em Board Champion

sac

Not that I care but Michigan State is located in Michigan

AppletonRocks

Quote from: sac on December 11, 2017, 10:30:03 AM

My apologies.  Disdain for the king of khakis got me this time
Run the floor or Run DMC !!

2016 WIAC Pick 'Em Board Champion

goodknight

Quote from: AppletonRocks on December 11, 2017, 07:45:59 PM
Quote from: sac on December 11, 2017, 10:30:03 AM

My apologies.  Disdain for the king of khakis got me this time

Disdain might get you every time.  ;)

Flying Dutch Fan

Congrats to Adrian's Justin Webster on being named to the d3hoops team of the week:

Justin Webster

Webster scored 29 points and had 12 rebounds to record his second double-double of the season and help lead Adrian to a 66-53 win over #3 Wis.-Whitewater on the first day of the St. Andrews Products Classic at Trine University. He followed up that performance with a 28-point, 12 rebound game in an 86-73 win against Wisconsin Lutheran College to help the Bulldogs win the St. Andrews Products Classic.
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

hopefan

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on December 12, 2017, 09:45:51 AM
Congrats to Adrian's Justin Webster on being named to the d3hoops team of the week:

Justin Webster

Webster scored 29 points and had 12 rebounds to record his second double-double of the season and help lead Adrian to a 66-53 win over #3 Wis.-Whitewater on the first day of the St. Andrews Products Classic at Trine University. He followed up that performance with a 28-point, 12 rebound game in an 86-73 win against Wisconsin Lutheran College to help the Bulldogs win the St. Andrews Products Classic.

So, with 7 sub .500 teams in the MIAA and Adrian's incredible performance vs UWW I wonder where Adrian would be placed in the conference rankings if the coach's vote were taken now?   ;D ;D ;D    It will be an interesting Conference race to view from afar.....Best of Luck to everyone!!
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

KnightSlappy

Quote from: hopefan on December 12, 2017, 10:05:18 AM
Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on December 12, 2017, 09:45:51 AM

Justin Webster

So, with 7 sub .500 teams in the MIAA and Adrian's incredible performance vs UWW I wonder where Adrian would be placed in the conference rankings if the coach's vote were taken now?   ;D ;D ;D    It will be an interesting Conference race to view from afar.....Best of Luck to everyone!!

FWIW, Massey Ratings has Adrian 2nd in the league (Hope, Adrian, Alma, Calvin) and Bennett Rank has Adrian 1st (Adrian, Olivet, Calvin, Hope).

sac

Quote from: HopeKnight on December 10, 2017, 07:18:51 PM
Quote from: sac on December 09, 2017, 05:51:09 PM
Stevens Point 91  Hope 77

Hope was better today but trailed all game that I saw, pulled within 1 once or twice and 4 with 3 and change to go, Nate Dodge hit 2 straight threes in part of a personal 14 straight point stretch to push the Pointers ahead for good.  Dodge finished with 42 on 10-13 shooting from beyond the arc.

Beckman 21, Hawkins 17, Ray 17

Tough weekend for Hope - first game was very sloppy in a route and 2nd was competitive yet defensively very poor. Too many open looks and easy threes. Theme remains that Hope's undersized guards simply haven't been able to slow down good guards with any size (Marietta, CS, UWPV & UWSP). Both Dante & Jason at 5'10 have quickness & strength to compete defensively but Riley & Danny Beckman at 5'9 155 are both very small and light and have little impact defensively. Guards shoot right over them and play right through them on both ends of the court. There has also been a lack of consistent outside shooting to give Jason & Dante room to operate. Dante has really struggled in the half court sets with no spacing for drives or penetration. Fortunately, Teddy Ray has started hitting some threes and Dennis & Rob keep improving despite limited touches. It will be interesting to see who steps up from the young bigs. Good news is the next game is in Florida on December 19th giving the team some time to figure things out and improve - conference starts soon. Go Hope!

Hope is ranked #414 (out of 416) in FG% defense.  The two teams behind them are Grinnell and Puget Sound, a system team and a variation of the system team.

Not great Bob!

TUAngola

Little bit of a "sneak peek" of the basketball floor of the new MTI Center at Trine University from TMBB twitter.  I like that the floor will be more "old school", no flashy designs, no secondary color of the area inside the arc.  Appears to be lots of work yet to do, lower bowl seating isn't in yet, scoreboard not in yet (assuming they are doing a 4sided scoreboard at halfcourt, at least that is what is shown in renderings).  Trine women have the inaugural 1st game in the new arena against Hope on Jan 3.  The guys get their first game at MTI a week later against Adrian on the 10th.

https://twitter.com/TrineThunderMBB/status/940610256865984512

wiz

Quote from: TUAngola on December 12, 2017, 07:19:18 PM
Little bit of a "sneak peek" of the basketball floor of the new MTI Center at Trine University from TMBB twitter.  I like that the floor will be more "old school", no flashy designs, no secondary color of the area inside the arc.  Appears to be lots of work yet to do, lower bowl seating isn't in yet, scoreboard not in yet (assuming they are doing a 4sided scoreboard at halfcourt, at least that is what is shown in renderings).  Trine women have the inaugural 1st game in the new arena against Hope on Jan 3.  The guys get their first game at MTI a week later against Adrian on the 10th.

https://twitter.com/TrineThunderMBB/status/940610256865984512
Beautiful facility

sac

Spring Arbor 76 Olivet 50

Olivet shot just a shade under 30% and either Jalen Adams got into some serious foul trouble or SAU locked him down to a season low 4 points.  Adams came into the night leading the league in scoring and shooting and ranked highly in both categories nationally.  Tonight he shoots just 2-16 from the floor. 

SAU is a really good team, move to 13-2 including an earlier win over Cornerstone.

Kalamazoo 98  Concordia-Chicago 71