WBB: NESCAC

Started by Senator Frost, March 12, 2005, 09:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidelineHero

My predictions: Bowdoin wins easily over Tufts and goes on to win the NESCAC.  I have seen all three teams play and Bowdoin is the best of the three.

truenorth

amh63

On the Amherst athletic website presently, are the ticket prices for the three sessions of basketball being held in LeFrak this coming weekend.  The two sessions on Sat....women and men and the Sunday session...Men and Women championships.  Gym will be cleared between Sat. Sessions.

OldCardinal

Bowdoin - Tufts will be close.  Both are at full strength and playing at neutral site.  I think the difference will be under 5 points and could go either way.  Amherst will win easily in the semi's and has to be favored in the finals at home.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The NCAA released the third set of women's basketball regional rankings with few changes from last week's version. This is the final set that we'll see before the Tournament bracket is released on Monday. Full list here: http://d3hoops.com/notables/2018/02/women-regional-rankings-third

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

It is down to the final week of the regular season. It is now or never. Win the conference tournament, earn the automatic qualifier, and a team will be playing in March. Don't win it and either hold out hope for an at-large selection or the season is over.

The season continues or ends on the bounce of a ball from here on out.

So who may be in jeopardy and who is sitting pretty? On Thursday's edition of Hoopsville, we start to read the tea leaves while also chatting with teams who are hoping to punch their ticket for the Road to Salem or Rochester themselves. Plus, we get a preview of what could be a fascinating weekend of NESCAC tournament action at Amherst.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch the show LIVE starting at 7:00 p.m. ET here: http://bit.ly/2BIbiUe

If you have questions, be sure to email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com or interact with the show via the social media avenues located to the right.

Guests include (in order of appearance):
- Steve Schulman, Lehman men's coach
- Matt Ducharme, UMass-Dartmouth women's coach
- Jamie Purdy, Piedmont women's coach
- Grey Giovanine, No. 9 Augustana men's coach
- Michele Durand, No. 24 Ohio Northern women's coach (WBCA Center Court)
- Howard Herman, Berkshire Eagle writer (NESCAC tournaments preview)

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts instead, you can get access to them or subscribe one of the three following ways (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

OldCardinal

Big win for Tufts over Bowdoin who could never get on a run offensively.  The offensive rebounding stat was key.  Tufts had over 20 off boards.  Two greats who could well meet again in the NCAA's.  AMH-TUF will be another defensive battle.

OldCardinal

I'm curious what others thought about the Bowdoin-Tufts game.  Aside from the offiensive rebounding I mentioned before, I was impressed by Tufts offensive balance.  As good as Baptiste is, they will need others to step up to beat Amherst.  Yesterday they got that.  It will be interesting to see if they can repeat that today.  Amherst is great at taking a team out of their game (actually, so are Bowdoin and Tufts).  It's really hard to pick against Amherst any time, but especially at home.  That said, I think Tufts wins by a couple in a back and forth game.

Maine 1

I was very impressed (and a little surprised) by Tufts defeat of Bowdoin yesterday. It seemed like Bowdoin was never able to find any offensive rhythm, and then at the end started forcing a lot of shots.  I believe they may have had four or five straight empty possession when the score was 46-41--including some very quick forced shots, some bad turnovers (unforced), and that stretch cost them the game.  Also, Tufts had a great game on the offensive boards. I thought Knapp was the difference in the game with her rebounding and just keeping things alive. Also, Tufts got a big game from DeCandido.
As far as today's game goes--it will be a typical Tufts-Amherst game-I expect a defensive struggle, so it will not be a pretty game.  If Baptista can stay out of foul trouble (which will be hard in what wlll likely be a game with a lot of reaching and grabbing)--it will be close. If I had to pick I would go with Amherst on the home court. I have to believe that Amherst Tufts and Bowdoin are three of the top teams in the country

Maine 1

As expected--a tough defensive game-Eck was the difference in the game as she had a consistent offensive game.  Amherst shot a little better. Tufts had there chances, but couldn't cash in.  Not sure why Tufts coach did not have some of her bench players in to give fouls at the end (not that it made a difference, but it could have).  No reason to have DeCandido on the floor fouling out.

Some combination of Tufts, Amherst and Bowdoin will play again in the NCAA tournament

NE Jeffs Fan

Maine1, I think all 3 teams will make the tourney.  Will be interesting to see how soon in the tourney one or the other might have to face each other.  Due to travel restrictions, I'll be at least two are on the same side of the bracket with one on the other side.

amh63

To follow up on NE Jeff Fan, I believe all three will get into the post season.  Hope all will be in in different brackets.  Amherst will host and Be situated to host through one sectional quad...being top ranked and undefeated over 60 games to date.  Tufts and Bowdoin could host.  Do not think both will be in the the same sectional as Amherst. 
Monday it will be sorted out. 

Maine 1

I am sure all three will be in-I just meant that we should see some combination of those teams playing each other--I wouldn't be surprised if all three host-they are the top three teams in the Northeast, and nothing that  happened this weekend should change that.

deiscanton

Can we pencil in Amherst vs Valley Forge in round 1?☺

(Sorry, Scranton...)

OldCardinal

Quote from: Maine 1 on February 25, 2018, 02:17:31 PM
As expected--a tough defensive game-Eck was the difference in the game as she had a consistent offensive game.  Amherst shot a little better. Tufts had there chances, but couldn't cash in.  Not sure why Tufts coach did not have some of her bench players in to give fouls at the end (not that it made a difference, but it could have).  No reason to have DeCandido on the floor fouling out.

Some combination of Tufts, Amherst and Bowdoin will play again in the NCAA tournament

Totally agree that Eck was the difference.  She hit one big shot after another.  It was a defensive battle as all expected.  Congrats to Amherst on 60 straight wins.  On to the NCAA for all three for sure.