2016 D3 Season: NATIONAL PERSPECTIVE

Started by PaulNewman, August 31, 2016, 12:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D3soccerwatcher

Quote from: Mr.Right on September 05, 2016, 07:25:01 AM
Quote from: Flying Weasel on September 04, 2016, 07:05:20 PM
Am I reading that correctly . . . Rhode Island 2, Montclair St. 0 ! ! !  WOW!  Is that the leading candidate for the biggest upset of the opening weekend?

Knox beating Gustavus Adolphus also a surprise.
1 of 2 things happened.

1. MSU is not quite as good as last year. This I have no idea but I doubt. Usually they re-load.

or

2. Like I talked about in an earlier post that it was a 11am start and they prob trotted on the field and just thought they could show up.

I did not see the game or stats but maybe RIC is a decent side this year. They do have decent sides every 4-5 years.

Best part of all this....2015 National Champion Amherst opens up this week at RIC....

Box score and recap shows what actually happened.

MSU outshot RIC 19-7.  Corners were 11-0 is favor of MSU.  That looks like MSU showed up to play.

RIC scored on a ball played from the right side of the "endline" that somehow found the far left post and went in the net.  RIC's second goal was a PK.  MSU pressed hard and dominated the game stats but just could not find the net.

Mr.Right

Quote from: D3soccerwatcher on September 05, 2016, 03:38:25 PM
Quote from: Mr.Right on September 05, 2016, 07:25:01 AM
Quote from: Flying Weasel on September 04, 2016, 07:05:20 PM
Am I reading that correctly . . . Rhode Island 2, Montclair St. 0 ! ! !  WOW!  Is that the leading candidate for the biggest upset of the opening weekend?

Knox beating Gustavus Adolphus also a surprise.
1 of 2 things happened.

1. MSU is not quite as good as last year. This I have no idea but I doubt. Usually they re-load.

or

2. Like I talked about in an earlier post that it was a 11am start and they prob trotted on the field and just thought they could show up.

I did not see the game or stats but maybe RIC is a decent side this year. They do have decent sides every 4-5 years.

Best part of all this....2015 National Champion Amherst opens up this week at RIC....

Box score and recap shows what actually happened.

MSU outshot RIC 19-7.  Corners were 11-0 is favor of MSU.  That looks like MSU showed up to play.

RIC scored on a ball played from the right side of the "endline" that somehow found the far left post and went in the net.  RIC's second goal was a PK.  MSU pressed hard and dominated the game stats but just could not find the net.

And yet RIC won 2-0.....I say MSU DID NOT COME TO PLAY and I do not need to read a recap or boxscore to tell me that. Shots and SOG are never that accurate. Corners are accurate but I would guess Haverford had 15 corners to Brandeis 1 and they did not DOMINATE Brandeis....

PaulNewman

NCAC NE's Top 15 (post-Labor Day Weekend Edition)

1) Rowan (results matter and the Profs had great results versus strong competition)
2) Amherst (not a fan of #1 from last season until you lose theory but clearly a contender for #1 nonetheless)
3) Loras (program is a machine...and ALWAYS come to play)
4) Chicago (sleeper role didn't last for long)
5) Kenyon (guessing here...and hopeful?  and some other big teams already have losses)
6) Middlebury
7) Christopher Newport (early impressive results suggest I underestimated the Captains)
8) Brandeis (good and very good wins although left wondering how high the ceiling is as Judges seem to squeeze the most they can out of their ability)
9) Haverford (Brandeis game a good experience for a very good team still adjusting to roster changes from last year)
10) Franklin & Marshall (another team I maybe underestimated off to a great start)
11) OWU (they're going to be very good and frosh look like they expect a national title in first year)
12) Calvin (almost put the Knights ahead of OWU even though they lost...very good again and will coast through most of the season until run into an OWU or Kenyon down the road)
13) Trinity (TX) (I checked what RH wrote about 10 starters back and indeed the preseason review says the same...BUT...my research revealed 8 seniors graduating and 4-5 starters gone from the lineup that faced Amherst in Elite 8, so something is amiss or being calculated generously)
14) Macalester (2-0-1, with draw away at UWW and good win at home this afternoon against Wartburg)
15) Messiah (yes, Messiah -- considered E'town and Thomas More here but hard to go wrong picking the Falcons)
15A) Carthage (3-0 with very solid wins away in New England)

Some big names dropped out -- Oneonta, Montclair, Wheaton (Ill), Lycoming -- and we know at least some of them will be there in November.  Waiting to see a little more sample size from SLU.  Wheaton (MA) would be in the discussion if not for an opening day setback against Wentworth, coming back to beat two NJAC foes that handled Babson.  W&L proved they are a good team and another to watch.  Also in wait and see mode on Salisbury, Cortland, Rochester, MIT, Whitworth and Ohio Northern.  Anxious to see Tufts and more from Wash U.  UMass-Boston just snuck by Thomas in double OT...intrigued but not sold.

lastguyoffthebench

Oneonta St experiencing the loss of some valuable seniors.  The EAST should be wide open for another team to step up...

D3soccerwatcher

The way Carthage (last season's CCIW Tournament Champ) exerted their mid-western CCIW will and grit in New England this past weekend, I think they could potentially go higher.

SuperSub15

When do the NSCAA and D3Soccer week one rankings come out?

Mid-Atlantic Fan

Quote from: SuperSub15 on September 06, 2016, 10:02:05 AM
When do the NSCAA and D3Soccer week one rankings come out?

Usually Tues/Wed each week. All depends.

lastguyoffthebench

Knowing the NSCAA, I'd say...

1.  Amherst
2.  Loras
3.  Rowan (I'd say 2nd in D3soccer)
4.  Trinity
5.  F&M
6.  SLU
7.  Kenyon
8.  Chicago
9.  Brandeis  (I'd say 4th in D3soccer)
10. OWU
11. E-town
12. CNU
13. Whitworth
14. Carthage
15. Rochester
16. Macalester
------------------------
17. Messiah

lastguyoffthebench

NE:  Amherst, Brandeis, MIT, MA Boston
North:  Loras, Macalester, St. Thomas
South Atlantic:  Rowan, CNU, Salisbury, York
West:  Trinity, Whitworth, Claremont MS
Mid Atlantic:  F&M, Etown, Messiah, Haverford
East:  SLU, Rochester, Cortland St
Great Lakes:  Kenyon, OWU, Thomas More, ONU
Central:  Chicago, Carthage, North Park, Calvin

Off Pitch

Quote from: lastguyoffthebench on September 07, 2016, 12:03:25 PM

NE:  Amherst, Brandeis, MIT, MA Boston, Middlebury

MIT lost a ton of talent (4 starters including two best offensive players) from a team that was not all that deep last year.  Unless they have an exceptional Fr class, they do not belong on this list.  NEWMAC coaches picked MIT 4th for this season.

rudy

Would add tufts and Middlebury to NE

PaulNewman

Quote from: Off Pitch on September 07, 2016, 12:29:24 PM

NE:  Amherst, Brandeis, MIT, MA Boston, Middlebury

MIT lost a ton of talent (4 starters including two best offensive players) from a team that was not all that deep last year.  Unless they have an exceptional Fr class, they do not belong on this list.  NEWMAC coaches picked MIT 4th for this season.

Those weren't lastguy's picks but rather his predictions of what the NSCAA will do in their poll, which are largely based off of how teams finished last year.

Mid-Atlantic Fan

You should see Scranton ahead of Etown, Messiah and Haverford. 2-0 with wins over Cabrini and Gettysburg and 2 shutouts...most impressive start from any team in this region.

PaulNewman

OK, so maybe Amherst IS #1....on merit.  A very deep, very talented roster.  When you stop and think that they could have won 1 or 2 more national title over the past 5-7 years with just a little good fortune, the makings of a dynasty are not out of the question.  Perhaps there is a new Sheriff in town.

And Christopher Newport continues the goal-scoring assault, up 3-0 on NC Wesleyan at the half.