Chicago over Carthage
Rowan over Lynchburg

Semis
Cortland over Newark
Chicago over Rowan

Final
Chicago over Cortland

Mr.Right

Cortland will be out in the Sweet 16. IMO they are overrated.

just4kix

Quote from: Mr.Right on November 08, 2016, 01:24:41 PM

That is entirely possible.  They made a GK change in their bad loss to Oneonta in late Sep. and have reeled of 12 straight since with just 2 GA.  Included were a 5-0 rout of Hobart and 1-0 win in the rematch with Oneonta.  I just took a flyer on a hot team with a new attitude.

PaulNewman

There are going to be some major 1st round exits.  The questions are who and where and how many.  For example, Shooter has ONU getting to the championship final.  Gun to my head I don't see them getting by Calvin in round 1 but that should be a very good, at least Sweet 16 level kind of battle.

Mr.Right

Quote from: just4kix on November 08, 2016, 01:47:21 PM

That is entirely possible.  They made a GK change in their bad loss to Oneonta in late Sep. and have reeled of 12 straight since with just 2 GA.  Included were a 5-0 rout of Hobart and 1-0 win in the rematch with Oneonta.  I just took a flyer on a hot team with a new attitude.

That was the Cortland / Oneonta regular season game that I watched and the GK was bad but the whole team had nothing "special" in that game. Their defense caved rather easily to Oneonta and they generated nothing going forward and their attitude and body language looked as if they knew they were going to lose and gave up in the 2nd Half. I did not like it. However, you maybe right they may be really hot right now and plating much better and should have a pretty easy ride into the Sweet 16.

Mr.Right

Quote from: NCAC New England on November 08, 2016, 01:53:34 PM
There are going to be some major 1st round exits.  The questions are who and where and how many.  For example, Shooter has ONU getting to the championship final.  Gun to my head I don't see them getting by Calvin in round 1 but that should be a very good, at least Sweet 16 level kind of battle.

Agreed....With all the parity this could be the year of upsets all over the bracket. Even much weaker teams will have a chance to sit in and get to PK's because so many teams around the country are having trouble scoring.

Soccerfan

Quote from: Mr.Right on November 08, 2016, 01:57:19 PM
Quote from: just4kix on November 08, 2016, 01:47:21 PM

That was the Cortland / Oneonta regular season game that I watched and the GK was bad but the whole team had nothing "special" in that game. Their defense caved rather easily to Oneonta and they generated nothing going forward and their attitude and body language looked as if they knew they were going to lose and gave up in the 2nd Half. I did not like it. However, you maybe right they may be really hot right now and plating much better and should have a pretty easy ride into the Sweet 16.
[/

Mr Right...the Cortland team playing now is not the same as the one that lost to Oneonta the first game they played and I'm sure Oneonta would verify that. After Cortland's two straight losses to SLU and Oneonta (the only two of the season), the team switched formations and replaced the whole back line and keeper. The team hasn't lost since and only gave up two goals the rest of the season. I could be wrong, but i think you'll be surprised at how quick their team defense is now. They are a hot team and IMO could make a deep run in the tournament.

lastguyoffthebench

Round 2        2 pts ea
Chicago
Dubuque
Centre
Redlands
Carthage
UW-W
St. Thomas
St. Norbert
Rowan
Tufts
Haverford
Kean
Trinity
Texas-Dallas
John Carroll
Kenyon
Amherst
Worcester St
Babson
Brandeis
Rutgers-Newark
Vassar
Oneonta St
Eastern
Messiah
CNU
CMU
Calvin
Cortland St
Scranton
F&M
SLU
---------------------------------
Round of 16          4 pts ea
Chicago
Redlands
Carthage
St. Thomas
Tufts
Haverford
Trinity
Kenyon
Amherst
Brandeis
Rutgers-Newark
Oneonta St
Messiah
Calvin
Scranton
F&M
-----------------------------------------
Elite 8               8 pts ea
Chicago
St. Thomas
Tufts
Trinity
Amherst
Rutgers-Newark
Messiah
F&M
-----------------------------------------
Final Four           16 pts ea
Chicago
Trinity
Rutgers-Newark
Messiah
------------------------------------------
Messiah over Trinity                32 pts ea / 64 pts for correct champion

Domino1195

Quote from: NCAC New England on November 08, 2016, 01:53:34 PM

Having seen all 4 of these teams this - Capital playing three of them: not sure what the week off does for OWU, but rested they will be. Saw CMU vs Allegheny, JCU and Grove City - they are a solid team - I recall a couple of strong DM's that did well winning 50/50 challenges - taking pressure off the back 4. I really wasn't impressed with Allegheny this year but they hung around in the CMU game in spite of constantly losing the ball in midfield. This game should have been more in their favor than the 2-1 final. Grove City - they had GCC chasing the game for the first 20 minutes - got their goal and seemed to ease up a bit. GCC finished the half a little bit more competitively and that carried into the second half. After they got the tying goal they held a little bit more of the possession - homecoming weekend energy from a larger than usual student section - winning on a howler of a goal. They were very dominant in the JCU game - goal came from a scrum in the 6 - ball trickles into the corner.  CMU was called OS 8 times in that game - JCU with a very high line that the CMU forwards seemed to have trouble finding ( but EIGHT times!?!?). When in the attacking third the CMU forwards made excellent runs behind the midfield, in front of the back 4. JCU just didn't track the runners - GK broke up play 30 yards from goal 2-3 times.

Calvin gave up 6 goals in conference this year - 10 total. Most teams would kill for those stats - but they played no one in 17 of their 30 games this year. Since their 1-0 against Benedictine in early September they haven't played the likes of CMU, OWU or ONU. Very fortunate to have a SOS over .500 at .515.

ONU ended the season flat except for the ass-kicking they gave to Capital. They are one of the more attack-oriented teams in the Midwest - they have 7-8 guys who can play Total Soccer (for you older fans of 1970's Dutch soccer). Their problem is in the two types of goals they concede: long ball over the top leading to semi-breakaways and goals in the Marietta and JCU games. But their biggest problem is set pieces - specifically crosses in the air. 3 goals at Capital (1 wrongly called back), regular season goal against JCU - cross from 50 yards away - and the howler this weekend - misjudging a corner and watching it go directing in - NEAR POST.

I can't see Calvin stopping ONU's forwards. Even if they make mistakes on defense - down 2-0 to JCU at JCU - stormed right back. They start 7 seniors, 4 juniors - one freshman regularly sees action.

CMU and OWU - a toss up. Ryan noted how scoring from the run of play was problematic for OWU. This game goes to PK's.

Mr.Right

Thank-god for these religious schools giving us a great slate of 4 games on Friday starting at 11am with OWU v CMU to mix it up a little and give us a chance to catch more games and more teams. Why did Messiah stop doing the Friday / Saturday games?

If I remember correctly CMU has a good / decent stream but does anyone know what F&M's stream is like? If it is anything like Muhlenberg's stream in 2014 we are in trouble. However, now that I am thinking about it I caught a few Centennial games this year and I believe the whole conference uses the same website to stream all their sports and it is pretty good quality because I remember catching a Haverford game this year and it was good quality

Mr.Right

One more quick thing that I noticed...Is this new?

Transcontinental Quadrant

I never remember this? Just an interesting side note as it looks like they dropped the West name...

Domino1195

Quote from: Mr.Right on November 09, 2016, 12:10:45 PM
One more quick thing that I noticed...Is this new?

Transcontinental Quadrant

I never remember this? Just an interesting side note as it looks like they dropped the West name...

A lot more fancy than "And Everybody Else" Quadrant . . .

Ommadawn

Quote from: Mr.Right on November 09, 2016, 12:04:36 PMIf I remember correctly CMU has a good / decent stream but does anyone know what F&M's stream is like?

I have watched a lot of F&M games the past few years and have found their stream to be one of the best around.