IIAC 2017 (Men's Soccer)

Started by d3soccerfreak, August 14, 2017, 08:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d3soccerfreak

Anybody have any ideas how the IIAC will do heading into the 2017 season??

d3soccerfreak

Not sure who the favorite will be going into the season?

Dubuquer

Ummm, I'm going to go out on a limb and say Loras is the IIAC favorite.  Yes, they lost some talent, namely Bradley, but they had some great freshman talent (O'Connell, Histed, Rife, etc.) last year, who all had flashes (if not more) of brilliance. I'm sure they will step up after a year of experience and I expect to see some great things from them.  I'm looking forward to the 9/2 game vs Wheaton to get a better sense for the team.  I think they will be playing with a bit of a chip on their shoulder after last year.

KICKIN95

Loras is again picked to be tops in the IIAC.  The freshman you mentioned from last season will have the experience of playing a fair amount and they have a few incoming players that will make an immediate impact.  Not going to mention who yet,  I want to see how long it take for their names to be regulars on the board  :-X
Master of all things "DuHawk"

blue_jays

So... uhh... what's up with that 4-3 Loras loss to Aurora?

Medicated Pete

LOL yep, not a way you want to start the 2017 campaign. Score a goal, give a goal, then another, score,give,score,and finally bit the dust.
Some sketchy defensive lapse that have to be cleaned up.
Toooo much spacing between mids and def caused three of the four goals.

Aurora had three outstanding goals and the final one seemed like it should of been stopped by the keeper but snuck through his hands.

If you thought Aurora was tough wait till tonight against Wheaton  :o

d3soccerfreak

Nebraska-Wesleyan lost 4-3 to St. John's in OT.

KICKIN95

Well Loras may have stumbled a bit against Aurora, but they again dusted the all powerful Wheaton 2-1. Scored right out of the chute and added an insurance goal before coasting their way home. Wheaton never challenged and got a 90th minute non factor goal. This brings Loras to a 8-1-1 record against Wheaton. You will not find another team in the country that has dominated them I promise you that much.

d3soccerfreak

Very disappointed with Nebraska Wesleyan and Luther starts to the season. Both are sitting at 0-2. Wartburg though is off to a good start, wonder if it will keep going.

blue_jays

Quote from: KICKIN95 on September 02, 2017, 10:27:03 PM
Well Loras may have stumbled a bit against Aurora, but they again dusted the all powerful Wheaton 2-1. Scored right out of the chute and added an insurance goal before coasting their way home. Wheaton never challenged and got a 90th minute non factor goal. This brings Loras to a 8-1-1 record against Wheaton. You will not find another team in the country that has dominated them I promise you that much.
And this means ... what exactly? Don't think it has made Loras a better team or Wheaton worse in terms of postseason results over the years. If this means Aurora is better than Wheaton, then this result sure won't help build Loras' resume this year. Since Wheaton's golden senior class from a couple years ago, the program has slid significantly and isn't even a conference favorite anymore. Sad times.

repete

Quote from: d3soccerfreak on September 04, 2017, 10:56:15 AM
Very disappointed with Nebraska Wesleyan and Luther starts to the season. Both are sitting at 0-2. Wartburg though is off to a good start, wonder if it will keep going.

Really? Neb. Wesleyan lost to two  almost-perennial MIAC playoff teams, one in OT, on the road.  It's not that the IIAC is such a superior league that a non-contender should have won either of those away. (But they did make a smart coaching hire.)

KICKIN95

Quote from: blue_jays on September 04, 2017, 12:42:13 PM
Quote from: KICKIN95 on September 02, 2017, 10:27:03 PM
And this means ... what exactly? Don't think it has made Loras a better team or Wheaton worse in terms of postseason results over the years. If this means Aurora is better than Wheaton, then this result sure won't help build Loras' resume this year. Since Wheaton's golden senior class from a couple years ago, the program has slid significantly and isn't even a conference favorite anymore. Sad times.
It means they stumbled against Aurora and came back to take yet another "W" against Wheaton, 6 in a row for good measure.

d3soccerfreak

Chicago 3, Loras 0 - I saw the box score and it looked like Loras put together a lot of shots, did they look bad? Or just couldn't convert?

blue_jays

Quote from: d3soccerfreak on September 16, 2017, 10:09:48 AM
Chicago 3, Loras 0 - I saw the box score and it looked like Loras put together a lot of shots, did they look bad? Or just couldn't convert?
They man-marked against a team that they shouldn't have, Chicago had too much athleticism for them. Only 2 SOG for the home team.

Dubuquer

Loras didn't look bad against Chicago.  In fact for much of the game (outside of the first few minutes of each half) it looked very even. Loras' defense just couldn't handle one of the best attacks in the country for 90 minutes.