2017 Playoffs

Started by Andy Jamison - Walla Walla Wildcat, October 31, 2017, 01:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HansenRatings

I made a thing some of you may be interested in--an interactive graphic of each playoff team's stat profiles, using my opponent-adjusted metrics. You can use it to compare potential matchups for any combinations of teams in the tournament. If there's any edit you guys think would be useful to make it more read-able/user-friendly, let me know, and I'll see if I can oblige.
https://www.hansenratings.com/playoff-stat-profiles
Follow me on Twitter. I post fun graphs sometimes. @LogHanRatings

smedindy

Quote from: emma17 on November 13, 2017, 12:10:42 PM
Smed, I love the D2 styled bracket.
Funny thing is, even with that, we'd want them to move things around. For instance in the North. In theory, you'd have a first round NCC and IWU rematch, and I assume you'd have NCC, IWU, Wheaton and Witt all in the same pod, which means people would still be saying "Mt gets the easy schedule".

That's true, but it seems they don't care in D2. There are first round NCAA matchups between conference members quite a bit in D2.

USTBench

Quote from: HansenRatings on November 13, 2017, 02:09:53 PM
I made a thing some of you may be interested in--an interactive graphic of each playoff team's stat profiles, using my opponent-adjusted metrics. You can use it to compare potential matchups for any combinations of teams in the tournament. If there's any edit you guys think would be useful to make it more read-able/user-friendly, let me know, and I'll see if I can oblige.

This is neat.
Augsburg University: 2021 MIAC Spring Football Champions

Teamski

Quote from: USTBench on November 13, 2017, 02:13:12 PM

This is neat.

I would say!  Well done!

-Ski
Wesley College Football.... A Winning Tradition! A Coach Mike Drass Legacy.

MediaGuy

I'm not sure what board it was on but I saw somewhere that a few posters were upset that Linfield charges $10-$15 to view the games online and wondered if that would continue in the playoffs.  I work in the media and this is item 6 on the live video streaming policy from the ncaa broadcast services website

" 6. Free-to-User: The Streaming Entity agrees to deliver the live video stream of the Event Coverage FREE to all users. The Streaming Entity further agrees that no video streaming rights shall be granted or will be permitted as part of a subscription package. If the Streaming Entity normally uses a subscription package to broadcast video streams, the link to the stream of the Event Coverage must be separate from the subscription package and may not require any login or other user information"

I can appreciate the school trying to make some money to cover the cost of the broadcast but as a non-commercial entity they do not pay the $1,000 streaming rights fee that a commercial entity would be charged...so by the policy, Linfield should not be allowed to charge to view the playoff game(s).

HansenRatings

Quote from: MediaGuy on November 13, 2017, 03:24:43 PM
I'm not sure what board it was on but I saw somewhere that a few posters were upset that Linfield charges $10-$15 to view the games online and wondered if that would continue in the playoffs.  I work in the media and this is item 6 on the live video streaming policy from the ncaa broadcast services website

" 6. Free-to-User: The Streaming Entity agrees to deliver the live video stream of the Event Coverage FREE to all users. The Streaming Entity further agrees that no video streaming rights shall be granted or will be permitted as part of a subscription package. If the Streaming Entity normally uses a subscription package to broadcast video streams, the link to the stream of the Event Coverage must be separate from the subscription package and may not require any login or other user information"

I can appreciate the school trying to make some money to cover the cost of the broadcast but as a non-commercial entity they do not pay the $1,000 streaming rights fee that a commercial entity would be charged...so by the policy, Linfield should not be allowed to charge to view the playoff game(s).

I don't know about streaming, but I do know that the NCAA pretty strictly controls gate entrance costs (i.e. prices are set by NCAA, teams' season ticket packages aren't valid), so I'm sure they enforce the streaming policy as well.
Follow me on Twitter. I post fun graphs sometimes. @LogHanRatings

MonroviaCat

Quote from: MediaGuy on November 13, 2017, 03:24:43 PM

Linfield has not (because they can't) charged for the livestream of a playoff game. 
Go Cats!

bluestreak66

Random question, am I the only one who kind of thinks Washington & Lee vs Washington & Jefferson would be a highly satisfying quarterfinal game? I'm ready for unbounded confusion if those two play!  ;D
A.M.D.G.
Whose House? STREAKS' HOUSE!

RIP MUC57- "Go everybody!"

2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION
2018 & 2019 ODAC POSTSEASON PICK EM'S CHAMPION
2019 OAC POSTSEASON PICK EM'S CHAMPION

jknezek

Quote from: bluestreak66 on November 13, 2017, 04:51:30 PM
Random question, am I the only one who kind of thinks Washington & Lee vs Washington & Jefferson would be a highly satisfying quarterfinal game? I'm ready for unbounded confusion if those two play!  ;D

They've met 3 times before though it's been a while and didn't work out to W&L's advantage:

Washington & Jefferson (0 - 3)   

Nov. 18, 1916   Richmond   L   6   10
Nov. 29, 1917   Richmond   L   0   12
Oct. 6, 1923   W&J   L   0   1

Compliments of W&L's sports information site. Little confused on the last score however.

Bartman

totally cool tool
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

MediaGuy

Quote from: jknezek on November 13, 2017, 04:56:15 PM
Quote from: bluestreak66 on November 13, 2017, 04:51:30 PM

They've met 3 times before though it's been a while and didn't work out to W&L's advantage:

Compliments of W&L's sports information site. Little confused on the last score however.
As per NCAA scoring rules, a game will be scored 1-0 if a game is forfit after play has started then 1 point will be awarded to the team leading at the time of the forfit.  Also I believe in the 1920's, a drop kick was scored as 1 point so it might be a legitimate score.

Bob.Gregg

W&J shows the 1917 game as 14-0.

W&L forfeited the 1923 game in Washington, PA because W&J's quarterback, Dr. Charles Pruner West, was black and W&J refused to bench him.
FTR: W&J doesn't list that game in its records at all, at least not the ones I have been able to find.

Interestingly enough, this past Saturday, the Rose Bowl Committee was on hand to recognize Dr. West and announced that he would be inducted into the Rose Bowl Hall of Fame December 30th.  Dr. West was a member of the W&J team that played California to a 0-0 tie in the 1922 Rose Bowl, the only scoreless tie in the history of the Grand-daddy of them all.  W&J played 11 men the entire game, including West.

Another tidbit on that season---on the train to Pasadena, West was forced to ride in the "colored" car.  His teammates chose to also ride with their "teammate, quarterback, leader and friend."

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/south/2011/09/08/W-J-honors-early-black-football-star/stories/201109080225
Been wrong before.  Will be wrong again.

D3MAFAN

Quote from: Bob.Gregg on November 13, 2017, 06:29:34 PM

W&L forfeited the 1923 game in Washington, PA because W&J's quarterback, Dr. Charles Pruner West, was black and W&J refused to bench him.
FTR: W&J doesn't list that game in its records at all, at least not the ones I have been able to find.

Interestingly enough, this past Saturday, the Rose Bowl Committee was on hand to recognize Dr. West and announced that he would be inducted into the Rose Bowl Hall of Fame December 30th.  Dr. West was a member of the W&J team that played California to a 0-0 tie in the 1921 Rose Bowl, the only scoreless tie in the history of the Grand-daddy of them all.  W&J played 11 men the entire game, including West.

Another tidbit on that season---on the train to Pasadena, West was forced to ride in the "colored" car.  His teammates chose to also ride with their "teammate, quarterback, leader and friend."

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/south/2011/09/08/W-J-honors-early-black-football-star/stories/201109080225

Good to know. +K

jknezek

Quote from: Bob.Gregg on November 13, 2017, 06:29:34 PM

FTR: W&J doesn't list that game in its records at all, at least not the ones I have been able to find.[/b]

Interestingly enough, this past Saturday, the Rose Bowl Committee was on hand to recognize Dr. West and announced that he would be inducted into the Rose Bowl Hall of Fame December 30th.  Dr. West was a member of the W&J team that played California to a 0-0 tie in the 1921 Rose Bowl, the only scoreless tie in the history of the Grand-daddy of them all.  W&J played 11 men the entire game, including West.

+K for the history. I'm glad W&L lists that game and counts it against our record. I wish they had an explanation in the records why it was a forfeited game. W&L is increasingly facing it's less than stellar racial past. Keeping this information front and center would be a good reminder of where we've been.

Kip

D3FB posted their playoff capsules: http://d3football.com/playoffs/2017/bracket-mary-hardin-baylor

I don't understand their likely seeding of the MHB region at all. Linfield is the "likely #2 seed" when they're behind St. Thomas (likely #5) in the final regional rankings. Can anybody else make sense of this?