MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoPerry

Quote from: kiko on November 20, 2018, 11:58:54 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on November 20, 2018, 11:12:26 PM

What, no final score? They'd flunk you out of J-school for that, GP. ;)

Wheaton 86, Calvin 71

And rounding out the action tonight, North Central 74, St. Procopius 60

Oops.  Buried the lead.  Thanks for picking me up Kiko.

Titan Q

Brady Rose through 4 games: 28.0 ppg, .558 FG (43-77), .500 3-point (13-26), .929 FT (13-14).

GoPerry

Quote from: Titan Q on November 21, 2018, 07:32:47 AM
Brady Rose through 4 games: 28.0 ppg, .558 FG (43-77), .500 3-point (13-26), .929 FT (13-14).

Now this is what I call pretty good.

WUPHF

Quote from: Gregory Sager on November 21, 2018, 12:00:19 AM
Quote from: Titan Q on November 20, 2018, 10:13:21 PM
I think Wash U will finish 2nd in the UAA behind Emory.  They have a lot of talent.

My money's on Rochester to finish second. I think that Wash U is a year away.

I keep thinking that Rochester, Chicago, Washington University and possibly Case Western will all go 1-1 against each other and second will go to the team that gets tripped up the the least by the other 3-4 teams.

crusader_nation

Nice win for Wheaton last night. The slow start and some foul trouble forced Schauer to go to his bench last night, and they responded with a great performance. Wheaton has some weapons coming off that bench, moreso than they've had in recent years.

Aston Francis through 4 games: 31.8 ppg, .368 FG (39-106), .364 3-point (20-55), .829 FT (29-35), 6.3 REB, 3.25 STL, 

Francis now sits at #24 in all-time scorers at Wheaton with 1437, surpassing Jason Senik. He trails #23 Nate Frank by 9 points.

markerickson

Regarding North Park's embarrassing loss at home to Greenville (153-113), the victor attempted 185 shots!  How is that even possible in a college game???  I see why Greg developed a writer's cramp.

Yet another reason to stay away from Foster and Kedzie.
Once a metalhead, always a metalhead.  Matthew 5:13.

AmherstRules

Quote from: AndOne on November 18, 2018, 09:55:23 PM
For a variety of reasons, you sometimes have no choice but to schedule a game against less than standard competition. Many schools have been there. On 11/27, North Central will have the same opportunity to dominate the Lions. However, rather than doing so at home, the Cardinals will have to endure an 8 hour bus trip to the northern most environs of Michigan's Upper Peninsula. How long before those endless views of frozen tundra get old? 😏 ☹️ 😴

I was in Ashland once and ice fishing is really kind of fun.  NCC should ask the Finlandia folks to book a guide for them.  When in Rome.....
World travel isn't all its cracked up to be. Neither is Duluth/Superior.

AndOne

Quote from: AmherstRules on November 21, 2018, 02:39:44 PM
Quote from: AndOne on November 18, 2018, 09:55:23 PM
For a variety of reasons, you sometimes have no choice but to schedule a game against less than standard competition. Many schools have been there. On 11/27, North Central will have the same opportunity to dominate the Lions. However, rather than doing so at home, the Cardinals will have to endure an 8 hour bus trip to the northern most environs of Michigan's Upper Peninsula. How long before those endless views of frozen tundra get old? 😏 ☹️ 😴

I was in Ashland once and ice fishing is really kind of fun.  NCC should ask the Finlandia folks to book a guide for them.  When in Rome.....

And when in the UP of Michigan in the winter, get out before hell, (or Hancock) freezes over!

* During the winter its like summer in Ashland, WI compared to Hancock, MI. 🌴
OK, maybe more like fall rather than summer.  ⛺️ 😏

AndOne

As generally expected, North Central took the 6 minute ride east down Chicago/Maple Ave to Lisle last night to dispatch Benedictine, by a score of 74-60 in a game that really wasn't as close as the 14 point final difference might indicate. In posting their third straight victory in the annual meeting between the teams, the Cardinals retained possession of the Bill Warden/Tony LaScala traveling trophy which is awarded to the winning team.

Principal among the reasons for the NCC win was the fact they corrected the woeful shooting form they displayed in their 68-57 season opening win over Heidelberg on 11/17.
Benedictine had the early advantage, starting the game with an early salvo that found them holding an initial 11-4 advantage, and the Cardinal defense looking somewhat dazed and confused. Following a timeout and some pointedly heated words from Coach Raridon, the Cards fired off an 8-0 surge ignited by a Tommy Koth 3 pointer. Benedictine recovered and had a 28-26 lead before NCC held them scoreless over the final 3:15 of the first half while posting 8 straight points. The rally was highlighted by an Aaron Jones 3 point bomb at the buzzer which enabled the Cardinals to take a 34-28 advantage into the break.

The early part of the second stanza was pretty much a back and forth affair until, with 11:02 remaining, and NCC leading 50-42, the Naperville contingent sealed the deal with a 19-2 onslaught over a period of about 7 minutes. Leading the charge was Connor Raridon who went 4 for 4 and scored 12 points during those 7 minutes. With just about 5 minutes remaining the Cardinals had built their lead to 25 points with the scoreboard showing a 69-44 score. At that point a pattern of liberal substitution began during which BU closed to 74-60 as the final buzzer sounded.

* NCC hit 12 of 26 three pointers (46.2%). Overall they shot 46.6. BU was 40.4% overall, and 37.5% from three.

* NCC recorded 16 assists vs. 11 turnovers. BU had 9 assists and a hefty 19 turnovers.

* Connor Raridon led the NCC attack with 26 points on 9/16 shooting including 4/6 from three, and 4/4 from the line. He also had 6 assists to just 1 turnover.

* Matt Cappelletti, 10 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 TO.

* Jack Bronec, 8 points (3/5, 2/2), and 5 boards in a steady performance. Jack also picked off 2 steals.

* Mike Pollock and Aaron Jones both also scored 8 points. Both hit 2/4 from beyond the arc.

* Tommy Koth hit 2 threes for his 6 points. Both came at important junctures of the game.

* Will Clausel was perfect off the bench with 2/2 from the field, and 2/2 from the line for his 6 points.

jaybird44

Much to like, regarding last night's WashU-Illinois Wesleyan game.

Titans appear ready to make the NCAA Tournament.  Along with the stellar play from Rose and his supporting cast, I like the bench depth that the Titans possess.  That will be a nice security blanket to have, if that becomes a consistent trend.

WashU has a star in the making in Hardy, and the other youngsters will push the few veterans to move the team to greener pastures.  Will definitely need to develop a deeper bench...Hardy and Jack Nolan logged well over 30 minutes, and Matt Nester was right at 30.  And, the IWU bench outscored WashU's reserves 30-16. 

I did very much like the competitive desire that the Bears displayed last night.  After IWU shot its way to a 52-35 halftime lead on the strength of 70% overall shooting and 60% from 3-point range, WashU outscored the Titans 50-40 in the second half when there were ample opportunities to fold tents and canopies and go home.

And, I got a great chuckle when Ron Rose shed his jacket with the vigor and flair of Grey Giovanine, during a moment of angst...either with his team, the officials, or both.  Or, perhaps someone put a small wasp nest in the breast pocket of his jacket...

Yogao

Augie @ Loras tied at 41 at the half. Loras 6/10 from behind the arc and a perfect 9/9 from the line.  The coat came off in the last minute of the half which is pretty good considering Loras jumped out to a 12-3 lead 4+ minutes into the game.  Should be a good second half.

augiefan

Yogao

Augie goes down 74-73 after the "longest 3.3" seconds I've seen in a long time.  Training 72-71 with 11 seconds left, Loras misses the front end of a 1-1. Ebel drives the length of the floor and lays it in with 3.3 seconds left.  Loras throws a midcourt pass that gets tipped away and somehow only .3 seconds comes off the clock. Then on the inbound a couple of dribbles and with no time left on the clock Orange fouls DiCanio with no time left on the clock who sinks 2 free throws to win 74-73.

Difference in the game was free throws with Augie going 17-26 while Loras went 18-20.

AndOne

3 seconds left. Augie up by one. Loras ball in, FT line extended right. Ball goes to Loras #1 in the right corner. He drives the baseline and puts up a layup which misses, but Augie is whistled for a shooting foul with 1 second left. Loras player makes the first to tie it. Giovanine calls time to ice him. Time back in. Loras player drains the second FT to give Loras the win, 74-73. Crazy.
Would have loved to hear Giovanine's comments about a foul being called with one second remaining. 🤯

Yogao

Quote from: AndOne on November 21, 2018, 09:59:23 PM
3 seconds left. Augie up by one. Loras ball in, FT line extended right. Ball goes to Loras #1 in the right corner. He drives the baseline and puts up a layup which misses, but Augie is whistled for a shooting foul with 1 second left. Loras player makes the first to tie it. Giovanine calls time to ice him. Time back in. Loras player drains the second FT to give Loras the win, 74-73. Crazy.
Would have loved to hear Giovanine's comments about a foul being called with one second remaining. 🤯

Less than 1 second left because nobody was at the line other than the shooter.  The 3 seconds were left after the original inbound under the basket with 3.3 seconds.  Not sure how a tipped ball even dropping straight to the ground only takes .3 seconds off the clock.