BB: Pool B

Started by Bronko7, April 21, 2008, 09:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Quote from: BRONKO7 on April 28, 2008, 06:13:03 PM
I think CSS doesn't have much to as long as they run the table in their conference, that would make them 24-3 in region (.890) I see them making the regional rankings in the upcoming weeks. But as for Rockford, no Pool be envies what they have coming up in the next couple weeks (Carthage & Ill. Wesl.)
Big surprise Juniata & Rockford dropping another conference game, tis the season for a lot of games in a short amount of time.

My 6 Pool B's at this point
1) Chapman
2) Salisbury
3) Piedmont
4) Ithaca
5) St. Scholastica
6) Emory

anybody have thoughts?
I remind people that the specific wording in the Handbook is "Results versus Regionally Ranked teams".

A Pool B team makes its case to the Selection Committee by these primary criteria:

QuoteThese are the primary criteria that are used to rank the Pool (B and) C teams:
• Win-loss percentage against regional opponents
• OWP/OOWP: only contests versus regional competition
• In- region head-to-head competition.
• In-region results vs. common regional opponents.
• In-region results vs. regionally ranked teams
• Ranked opponents are defined as those teams ranked at the time of the ranking/selection process only.
• Conference post-season contests are included.
• Contests versus provisional members in their third and fourth years shall count in the primary criteria. Provisional members shall remain ineligible for rankings and selection.    --  FAQ

In the absence of the Pool A bid for the NATHC and Rockford, the regular season games that are the highest profile include the Carthage and IWU games, especially after the North Central and Augie losses.

Bronko7

"In the absence of the Pool A bid for the NATHC and Rockford, the regular season games that are the highest profile include the Carthage and IWU games, especially after the North Central and Augie losses."

The North Central loss is not a good one that is for sure, considering they just got swept by Martin Luther College, the only bad blemish for St. Scholastica. The Pool B is what intrigues me the most about the whole selection process, because there are probably 4 locks at this point and 3-4 teams battling for 2 spots. There is always Pool C but who wants to chance that.

hickory_cornhusker

Quote from: BRONKO7 on April 29, 2008, 04:02:48 PM
"In the absence of the Pool A bid for the NATHC and Rockford, the regular season games that are the highest profile include the Carthage and IWU games, especially after the North Central and Augie losses."

The North Central loss is not a good one that is for sure, considering they just got swept by Martin Luther College, the only bad blemish for St. Scholastica. The Pool B is what intrigues me the most about the whole selection process, because there are probably 4 locks at this point and 3-4 teams battling for 2 spots. There is always Pool C but who wants to chance that.

these are different North Central's you're talking about. the team Rockford plays is North Central College near the Chicago area and is a member of the CCIW. the North Central Martin Luther swept is North Central University in the twin cities area and is a member of the NCCAA and i think may be a provisional member of the NCAA.

Just Bill

Rockford's Pool B chances take a hit tonight with a loss to 6-28 Wisconsin Lutheran, 8-6 in 14 innings.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Bronko7

Quote from: hickory_cornhusker on April 29, 2008, 04:28:46 PM
Quote from: BRONKO7 on April 29, 2008, 04:02:48 PM

these are different North Central's you're talking about. the team Rockford plays is North Central College near the Chicago area and is a member of the CCIW. the North Central Martin Luther swept is North Central University in the twin cities area and is a member of the NCCAA and i think may be a provisional member of the NCAA.
My Bad, you'd think I could do little better research.
At this point can we say Rockford is not a B contender anymore? There in region winning pct. has taken a couple big hits this week and they still have to face Carthage and Ill Wes.

Mr. Ypsi

If Rockford still had any chance, they may have lost it tonite - IWU 'monkey-stomped' them 15-1.

BigPoppa

I have a feeling the NathCon may go another year without a post-season bid. Two horrible losses by Rockford at the wrong time of the year are really going to weigh on them.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Ralph Turner

Pool B's in action for the week of April 28-May 4

Central Region
5 Rockford 21-11 19-6

Quote28     Monday     North Park University (resched.)     Loves Park, IL     postponed
29    Tuesday    Wisconsin Lutheran College*   Loves Park, IL    W 8-3
29    Tuesday    Wisconsin Lutheran College*    Loves Park, IL      L 8-6
30    Wednesday    Illinois Wesleyan University    Bloomington, IL    L 15-1
MAY
1    Thursday    North Park University    Loves Park, IL  W 6-4
3    Saturday    Benedictine University* (2)    Lisle, IL 4:00 PM
4    Sunday    University of Chicago    Loves Park, IL 10:00 AM
4    Sunday    Carthage College    Loves Park, IL 4:00 PM

6 Concordia (Ill.) 27-10 23-9

QuoteFri.     May. 2     Milwaukee School of Engineering * - DH     Ppd. to 5/4
Sun.    May. 4    Milwaukee School of Engineering * - DH

Mid-Atlantic Region

7 Juniata 25-10 24-7

QuoteMay. 2       12:00 PM      Scranton       W 14-2       
May. 3    12:30 PM    Catholic

Mideast Region

Midwest Region
5 St. Scholastica 25-4 17-3

4/29/2008             Gustavus Adolphus       St. Peter, Minn.  DH Cancelled
4/29/2008    *    Northland College    Ashland, Wis.    W 18-6
5/1/2008    *    MARTIN LUTHER COLLEGE    Duluth, Minn. @ Wade Stadium    W 11-0
5/2/2008    *    BETHANY LUTHERAN COLLEGE    Duluth, Minn. @ Wade Stadium    RESCHEDULED
5/3/2008    *    BETHANY LUTHERAN COLLEGE    Duluth, Minn. @ Wade Stadium    7 pm
5/4/2008    *    BETHANY LUTHERAN COLLEGE    Wade Stadium, Duluth, Minn.    DH  Noon

New England Region

New York Region
2 Ithaca 25-9 21-3

Quote4/28/2008            Oswego      Auburn, N.Y.         
4/29/2008       St. Lawrence    Auburn, N.Y.       W 10-3
4/30/2008       Oneonta    Oneonta, N.Y.       L 4-8
5/3/2008                 PSU-Behrend   Auburn
5/4/2008                 York PA            York PA

6 St. John Fisher 21-9-1 17-8-1

Quote4/30/2008             University of Rochester     NOW AT UR       W 6-3
5/2/2008         University of Rochester    NOW AT FISHER    W 9-7
5/3/2008    *    R.I.T.    START TIME IS 11 a.m.    11 a.m.
5/4/2008    *    R.I.T.    Game Time Is Now 12 p.m.    12 p.m.

South Region
1 Salisbury 37-2 33-2

QuoteApr. 29       3:30 PM      at Johns Hopkins   Postponed
May 5                                               Rhodes

2 Piedmont 33-10 31-10

QuoteNo games this week

5/5/2008             Methodist University     Fayetteville, NC      7:00
5/6/2008         Methodist University    Fayetteville, NC    1:00

4 Emory 25-11-1 23-9-1   (Season Complete)

6 Mary Washington 25-12 22-11
May. 3       3:00 PM      at North Carolina Wesleyan

West Region
1 Chapman 32-3 25-3

QuoteMay 2  Fri.  Dallas  Dallas W 18-0
May 3  Sat. Dallas  Dallas  (2) 12 p.m.*

WLCALUM83

Rockford beat Carthage yesterday 19-3 and Concordia-Chicago split with MSOE.  Rockford and CUC qualified for the NAthCon post-season tournament as the #2 and #4 seeds, respectively.

Bronko7

Not a good weekend for some of the Pool B's good for others:

Good:
Conc (ILL)--Beat MSOE once
St. Scholastica sweeps DH vs Bethany Luth.

Bad:
Rockford--Loses 2 against Benedictine & 1 to U of Chicago
                Beats up on Carthage
Ithaca--Loss @ Oneonta
             Loss vs PS-Behrend
             Win vs York (Pa)

Ugly:
St. Johns Fischer--Loses 4 in a row to RIT (ouch)
Juniata--Split with U of Scranton
              Loss vs Catholic

Salisbury, Chapman, Piedmont: No Worries they're in...
Emory is playing the waiting game.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: BRONKO7 on May 05, 2008, 10:34:46 AM

Good:

Bad:
                Beats up on Carthage          Really hurts Carthage in Pool C
Ithaca--Loss @ Oneonta                 Probably can afford the losses
             Loss vs PS-Behrend
             Win vs York (Pa)

Ugly:
Juniata--Split with U of Scranton     also ugly
              Loss vs Catholic

Great assessment!  +1  :)

BigPoppa

Carthage has lost 4 of its last 7 games after a blistering 29-1 start. I still think the Redmen are a strong Pool C team unless they fall flat on their face in the CCIW tourney this weekend.

BaseballFan

St. Scholasticas sweep of Bethany Lutheran was big because of BLs good record and could not afford a loss, as long as they win their conference tourney they should be in

My 6 Pool B's at this point
1) Chapman
2) Salisbury
3) Piedmont
4) St. Scholastica
5) Ithaca
6) Emory

goldengear

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 05, 2008, 11:16:29 AM
Quote from: BRONKO7 on May 05, 2008, 10:34:46 AM

Good:

Bad:
                Beats up on Carthage          Really hurts Carthage in Pool C
Ithaca--Loss @ Oneonta                 Probably can afford the losses
             Loss vs PS-Behrend
             Win vs York (Pa)

Ugly:
Juniata--Split with U of Scranton     also ugly
              Loss vs Catholic

Great assessment!  +1  :)

Before you classify Conc-Il as having a "good" week, you will need to take into account while they did beat MSOE , they also lost to them, and MSOE is not a good team to say the least.

My guess is that there will be one contender for Pool B/C to come out of the Nathcon, that would be whomever wins the post season tourney, Rockford and Benendictine are co regular season champions, If either of them or Conc-Chi wins out in the tourney that will be their contender, Rockford and Conc-Chi would be the strongest contender if they win but they would basically eliminate themselves if they do not. I don't see Marian going even if they win, if Benedictine wins they will have a shot but perhaps less so than Rock or Conc-Chi.

Whether that contender makes the cut or not is open to debate, I would tend to think that they will make it, due to 1.) the winner will be pretty much equal with other contenders in the applicable criteria, 2.) the down year of Washington Univ in St. Louis leaves an extra spot in the Central Region (yes I know they can move teams from region to region but there does seem to be a slight reluctance to do so and that may favor a Nathcon team) 3.) I think the ncaa will find it hard to let a 12 school member conference get shut out two years in a row, especially as it would be a close call, last year champions was right there but did not make it, to have another champion with solid enough credentials get shut out would probably cause a problem on some level, there has already been some uproar about another sport.

That all being said, Nathcon does alot of things that don't quite make sense, they could have organized their conference in such a way as to not have to wait 2 years for the AQ from what I've been told (it is basically the merger of a couple conferences, which I believe had AQs). Also the typical weekend sees teams playing a minimum of 36 conference innings, 9 inning double headers saturday and sunday, then throw in some inevitable rainouts and you end up playing 54, 72, or 90 conference innings a week then try to beat some of the non conference regional opponents on your off day. What do you need a 20 man pitching staff to do that? In comparison the CCIW plays 2-9's and 1-7 a week, much easy on the staffs and their teams ability to win non conference games. Then you move on to the upcoming tourney, they squeeze a 4 team double elimination into two days, Friday you have 1-4 and 2-3, then wg1-wg2, then lg1-lg2, then Saturday they make the 2 remaining teams play at 9 am, after playing 2 games the previous day and then the winner of that needs to beat the 2-0 team twice thereby winning 3 straight 9 inning games on a Saturday, who comes up with this stuff a bean counter?

I'll post this also on the Natcon board as most of it seems to be conference issues.

BigPoppa

In addition the CCIW's Saturday/Sunday three-game series, they generally play a weekday single game or DH inside of conference play. It is the only way the cold-weather schools can get their conference games in. Many Central/Midwest teams play 6-8 games a week.

It certainly necessitates a strong, deep pitching staff and solid hitting on a daily basis.