BB: D3 MLB Draft projections, picks and free-agent signings

Started by AlleyCat, May 29, 2008, 10:12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OshDude

Quote from: DSKSlugger on June 03, 2009, 02:57:59 AM
Wow! great work. Can you say which of those players has a video available?
Bronson was the only one I saw with video (33 seconds).
Here's my list (another freebie, fellas), with links to stats. Add any I missed. The list is fluid – 70 players were added (Bartlinski was one) since I originally looked at DraftTracker.
Avery, Cortland
Bartlinski, Kean
Birdwell, Whitworth
Blanco, Cortland
Bronson, Trinity (TX)
Dott, Whitewater
Giovenco, North Park
Grant, Lynchburg
Helms, UT-Tyler
Holland, UT-Tyler
Johnson, Concordia (TX)
Laganosky, Haverford
Nolan, Kean
O'Hara, Rowan
Shelton, LaGrange
Tone, Cortland
Toth, TCNJ
Whiteman, Muskingum
Whitenack, Old Westbury

Dawgsdad

Infielddad,

Good information. Our son completed a bureau package this year and I am being told that to get one means a lot. if I look at last years activity and compare to this year, I see basically one change and this is the bureau's request to complete a package.  The Nationals were hot on him last year and seem still interested this year as we are told that the area scout as well as cross-checkers have seen him in several games both at 3rd and as a pitcher.  The Rangers are also interested in him and I was told by one Ranger scout that if he gets the opportunity to draft him, he will... What all this means - I have no idea until it happens.

As for today, only rounds 1-3 will occur today. Rounds 4 through 25 will occur tomorrow. I will be dumbfounded it we see a D-III player taken in the first 3 rounds mainly because of the amount of focus that teams put on the D-I and High School players.

I also am somewhat amazed that some notable players from UT Tyler has signed (I'm sure that his isn't unusal and other players have done similar), Independent league contacts ahead of the draft. Do these players know something we don't? Why would you sign to play for a nonaffiliated team before the draft?

NWdad

Quote from: OshDude on June 03, 2009, 05:34:30 AM
Here's my list (another freebie, fellas), with links to stats. Add any I missed.
Avery, Cortland
Birdwell, Whitworth
Blanco, Cortland
Bronson, Trinity (TX)
Dott, Whitewater
Giovenco, North Park
Grant, Lynchburg
Helms, UT-Tyler
Holland, UT-Tyler
Johnson, Concordia (TX)
Laganosky, Haverford
Nolan, Kean
O'Hara, Rowan
Shelton, LaGrange
Tone, Cortland
Toth, TCNJ
Whiteman, Muskingum
Whitenack, Old Westbury

I  find it suspect that there are no west coast players on the list outside of Whitworth. Does someone have a reality check?

John McGraw

Quote from: Dawgsdad on June 09, 2009, 10:58:16 AM
Infielddad,
I also am somewhat amazed that some notable players from UT Tyler has signed (I'm sure that his isn't unusal and other players have done similar), Independent league contacts ahead of the draft. Do these players know something we don't? Why would you sign to play for a nonaffiliated team before the draft?

I would imagine because the players in question figured they weren't going to be drafted. I'm sure that there's an out clause in their contracts but generally players that sign quickly with Frontier/Amer. Assoc./Can-Am/etc. teams believe that they're not going to be chosen so they want to get a leg up on their professional career. Chances are better of signing before the draft too since afterwards you'll have a glut of players looking for jobs that've been snapped up by players signing right out of school. Even then, just because they signed doesn't mean anything's a guarantee. Few years ago, Dale Curry out of Alvernia signed with a Frontier team and was cut maybe a week or two later. Same thing to Derek David, though I think David lasted just a few days.

infielddad

Quote from: NWdad on June 09, 2009, 12:00:48 PM
Quote from: OshDude on June 03, 2009, 05:34:30 AM
Here's my list (another freebie, fellas), with links to stats. Add any I missed.
Avery, Cortland
Birdwell, Whitworth
Blanco, Cortland
Bronson, Trinity (TX)
Dott, Whitewater
Giovenco, North Park
Grant, Lynchburg
Helms, UT-Tyler
Holland, UT-Tyler
Johnson, Concordia (TX)
Laganosky, Haverford
Nolan, Kean
O'Hara, Rowan
Shelton, LaGrange
Tone, Cortland
Toth, TCNJ
Whiteman, Muskingum
Whitenack, Old Westbury

I  find it suspect that there are no west coast players on the list outside of Whitworth. Does someone have a reality check?

NWDad,
The list that MLB puts on its draft tracker comes from the MLB scouting bureau.  It is not provded by MLB itself and certainly does not include each and every player who has had his name submitted and a number issued so he can be selected in the next 3 days.
There will be players on the draft tracker list who will not be selected and there will be players not on the list who will be selected.
However, despite all that players get told, only a few at the top really have any assurance. Once the draft starts, the players players not selected by the 10th round won't know where/when or if they will be selected. 
This is a time of considerable anxiety for the players who hope to hear their name called.  It is unfortunate it is now 3 days because of the publicity for the players selected today.
For everyone selected after about round 10, this is just an example of their future in Milb, if they do get their name called.  They will  hear over and over again that you focus and pay attention only to those things you can control, which is how you play, how you prepare and how you get yourself mentally ready.
Good luck to all those hoping to get a call by June 11.  It can be the beginning of a very challenging and fun and rewarding experience, no matter how long it lasts.
From a DIII parent who got to see his son play in an All Star game filled with first round picks, it is a great feeling knowing that every DIII player earned his chance to get drafted and earned every day on the field after that, and wouldn't change a thing if they had that choice.
DIII players are very special and nothing changes about that by decisions made in the next 3 days.

usmfan78

yeah they definitly dont have all potential d iii picks. no love for the northeast's Anthony D'alfonso or shawn gilbair

KYGrizzly

Quote from: John McGraw on June 09, 2009, 12:17:04 PM
Quote from: Dawgsdad on June 09, 2009, 10:58:16 AM
Infielddad,

I would imagine because the players in question figured they weren't going to be drafted. I'm sure that there's an out clause in their contracts but generally players that sign quickly with Frontier/Amer. Assoc./Can-Am/etc. teams believe that they're not going to be chosen so they want to get a leg up on their professional career. Chances are better of signing before the draft too since afterwards you'll have a glut of players looking for jobs that've been snapped up by players signing right out of school. Even then, just because they signed doesn't mean anything's a guarantee. Few years ago, Dale Curry out of Alvernia signed with a Frontier team and was cut maybe a week or two later. Same thing to Derek David, though I think David lasted just a few days.
[/quote

In my sons case last year when his name wasn't called out in the dratft he went and tried out for a team in the Frontier league. They like what they saw and told him to come back up the following week to pitch again when they had some others trying out. They told him that day they wanted to sign him but would have to make some roster adjustments and to show back up when they got back from a road trip. He signed with them on June 26 at 4:30 and was the starting pitcher for the game at 7:05 and got his first win in professional ball. He ended up @ 10 - 2 and is playing with the same team this year trying to get noticed and maybe get picked up with an affiliated team.

Jcon8958

First D-3 player goes off the board Robert whitenack for SUNY Old Westbury

Jcon8958

Matthew Tone from SUNY CORTLAND goes off the board to the twins in the 14th round

Jim Dixon

Ryan Caven, who played at Chapman and transferred to US Santa Barbara was selected no 477 in the 16th round by the San Francisco Giants.

Jim Dixon

A slow draft for D-III players.  Two taken in the first 20 rounds.  A little disappointing but 10 more rounds today and 20 tomorrow should net some more players.

mr_b

Jack Walker, 3rd baseman from Concordia River Forest (IL), was selected by Washington in the 20th round.

Jim Dixon

Michael Johnson, rhp, Concordia-Austin drafted by NY Mets in 24th round (N0. 734 overall)

mr_b

Mike Giovenco, RHP from North Park, was selected by Minnesota.  Congratulations, Mike!

mr_b

John Semel, Chapman, was also selected in the 26th round.