BB: D3 MLB Draft projections, picks and free-agent signings

Started by AlleyCat, May 29, 2008, 10:12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Dixon

Round 36: Southern Maine OF Chris Burleson is taken by Cincinnati (No. 1079 overall)less than 5 seconds ago from web

and only of personal interest, our guest last summer, Jake Dunning, Indiana was selected by SF at No. 987

Jim Dixon

Oh and David Iden too:

The Los Angeles Dodgers select Cal Lutheran's Davis Iden, 2B in round 35, 1057 overall.

Jim Dixon

In round 40, RHP, David Sarisky, Oglethorpe.

14 players selected through 40 rounds.

Jim Dixon

RHP Chris Handke, Cornell (Iowa) selected in the 41st round

Summary of those selected on the last day:
  929. Adrian, Kummet, St. Scholastica, rhp, Cincinnati (31)
  949. Aaron Dott, UW-Whitewater, lhp, Tampa Bay (31)
1057. David Iden, Cal Lutheran, 2b, Los Angeles NL (35)
1079. Chris Burleson, Southern Maine, of, Cincinnati (36)
1211. David Sarisky, Oglethorpe, rhp, Houston (39)
1237. Chris Handke, Cornell, rhp, Los Angeles (41)

RSSmith

McDaniel's Harold Baines taken by the White Sox in Round 45 (1363rd player drafted).
A walk is never as good as a hit!

RSSmith

UTT's Brett Holland goes to the Padres in Round 49 (1464th overall).

hbp

Someone take Drew Hedman.  I thought he would go in the first 25 rounds...

RSSmith

Quote from: hbp on June 11, 2009, 02:40:02 PM

Red Sox just took him with the 1518 pick.

infielddad

For anyone who thinks MLB scouts can translate DIII competition to Milb for position players, this pick at #1518 surely should provide answers.  It remains very, very difficult for position players to get drafted because how they perform cannot be measured on a gun. How they perform at a DIII level just does not translate or project to playing Milb, for those who get paid to make those decisions.
Congratulations to all the DIII players/pitchers selected.  Let's hope there are more who get free agent looks and sign very soon.   

RSSmith

Boston drafted both Bayer and Hedman (d3baseball's pitcher and player of the year), so it seems that at least the Red Sox scouts agree with the d3 baseball gurus.  I hope both those guys have tremendous success because (1.) I'm a Red Sox fan, and (2.) it will justify how d3baseball sees its own.  Good luck to Jeremiah and Drew.

wartburgalum

Quote from: infielddad on June 11, 2009, 02:57:33 PM

For anyone who thinks MLB scouts can translate DIII competition to Milb for position players, this pick at #1518 surely should provide answers.  It remains very, very difficult for position players to get drafted because how they perform cannot be measured on a gun. How they perform at a DIII level just does not translate or project to playing Milb, for those who get paid to make those decisions.
Congratulations to all the DIII players/pitchers selected.  Let's hope there are more who get free agent looks and sign very soon.   

I think that an even better gauge of how well scouts do with evaluating talent would be to look at the selection of the Angels in round 41 of Chris Handke of Cornell.  Career ERA of 10.12 with a whopping 21 IP and 11 Ks and 25 walks.  I congratulate the kid and all but I would have to think that there are probably, oh I don't know, at least a thousand more deserving players to at least be given the opportunity of saying they have been drafted.  Can someone please explain to me how something like this can happen. 
"Yup, we've got uniforms and everything, it's really great!" - Jake Taylor

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: wartburgalum on June 11, 2009, 05:01:55 PM

I think that an even better gauge of how well scouts do with evaluating talent would be to look at the selection of the Angels in round 41 of Chris Handke of Cornell.  Career ERA of 10.12 with a whopping 21 IP and 11 Ks and 25 walks.  I congratulate the kid and all but I would have to think that there are probably, oh I don't know, at least a thousand more deserving players to at least be given the opportunity of saying they have been drafted.  Can someone please explain to me how something like this can happen. 

My guess would be it was a favor to someone.  A couple of years ago the White Sox spent a low draft pick on Ozzie Guillen's son - the kid didn't even play varsity at North Park!

old scot

With those stats, definitely a favor to someone. The only player I can recall who succeeded in that scenario is Mike Piazza. Lasorda ( Dodgers) drafted him in the 62nd round in1988 because he and his father were friends.
Mike parlayed his shot into a MLB debut in 1992 and Rookie of the Year in 1993 and what I would assume to be Hall of Fame career.
Scouts can measure speed, arm strength, etc......... but not heart and desire. It makes you wonder how many players fall through the cracks. Maybe players don't measure up on the clock or the radar gun but, possess the drive, desire, and knowledge to succeed in this game.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 11, 2009, 05:04:56 PM

My guess would be it was a favor to someone.  A couple of years ago the White Sox spent a low draft pick on Ozzie Guillen's son - the kid didn't even play varsity at North Park!
Or another Wartburg-hater trying to raise the ire of Wartburg alums across the nation.   :D

infielddad

Interesting views and this could well be a favor pick..or something else.
Two examples come immediately to mind:  in 2002, our son played at Mill City in the NECBL.  That team had some fine players and competed well. I believe they had 6-7 drafted.  One who was not drafted was their best pitcher.  He was really good, was an NECBL All Star after having finished a terrific season as the Friday starter at URI.
To my knowledge, there are two players from that team still playing and both are at AAA, with very occasional visits to MLB.  One was the top pick in the 2008 Rule V draft.
If you went back to the stats for that 2002 team, you would find each of those  players had the least impressive stats for that Summer.  However, one was a 6'6" catcher with a cannon for an arm and one was a 6'9" pitcher who had no velocity.  Both are now pitchers and both have done well.
Hard to figure sometimes.  ???