BB: D3 MLB Draft projections, picks and free-agent signings

Started by AlleyCat, May 29, 2008, 10:12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank_ezelle

The Jackson, MS Clarion-Ledger had a good story today about tryout camps and the long odds of actually getting signed when going this route.  The story talks about Hunter Owen of Millsaps quite a bit.  The reality in Hunter's case is that he is 23 and he has an MBA from an outstanding school--if you were a scout would you sign a guy like that to make it as a longshot or a guy who doesn't have many options outside of baseball?

I was thinking about Oglethorpe sophomore pitcher Daniel Sarisky when reading this article.  He was drafted in the 40th round by Houston and he signed a contract.  Would his status have improved by pitching another year of D3 ball?  I don't think so--he would have been another year older, another year closer to a college degree, and he would have lost a year of minor league development.  It seems like a guy in D3 who really wants to take his best shot at major league baseball has to be willing to leave school early and come back for that degree if things don't work out in pro baseball.

Link to story:  http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20090626/SPORTS02/906260333/1287/SPORTS/Odds+remain+long+at+this+field+of+dreams&referrer=NEWSFRONTCAROUSEL
Millsaps Athletics:  http://www.gomajors.com/
Millsaps Photo Website:  http://gomajors.smugmug.com/

rjburke

Probably true, but I think character and brains are underrated assets by MLB scouts and front offices. Whether a different type of player would reduce attendance is unknown and never to be known because the selection mind set seems unlikely to change. Though I do think we will see more baseball players with legal and social troubles akin to those of football and basketball players.

dgilblair

I agree that some scouts may not see the whole picture when looking at players but I'm not to sure they care to much about the other stuff like character as much as people think.  They may talk a good game but if you are a talent they will overlook alot, I think anyway.  Many as fans will overlook cheating by the pros, whether it is spitballs or corked bats and even steriods if they like you. Case and point cheater Manny has single handedly given New Mexico a stimulus package and he is a bonafide cheater no doubt and they love him.  Now Bonds has been dis-liked all his career by many so it was easy for fans and MLB  to make a goat out of him.  Manny is just being Manny which is what I think is killing baseball, well maybe thats a little strong, lets just say I think manny being manny is whats wrong with baseball these days.  I know others do some of the same but he is a..........cheating, quiting, no good guy and people still love him.  I guess it is a bigger reflection of the baseball society more than anything.

oldcat

Due to a right pec tear Kitchens is still unsigned and unable to throw a baseball.

Purple Heys

Quote from: oldcat on July 21, 2009, 06:52:04 PM
Due to a right pec tear Kitchens is still unsigned and unable to throw a baseball.

Seems a rather straightforward diagnosis for something that I heard was otherwise baffling folks as to what was wrong...I hope this is encouraging news.

Does this mean his prognosis for full recovery is high.  Are the chances better than say...a labrum injury or rotator cuff or ligament damage?

How long will recovery take?

Would be nice to see Wayde come all the way back and get a shot at joining former VHS teammate T. K-hill in the bigs...  :)

That'd make it two OVLL kids in the Show.   8)
(Even if he was a Blue Jay)  ;)
You can't leave me....all the plants will die.

oldcat

Kitchens has been going to physical therapy for the past 6 weeks and will get a timeline on throwing next week. It's not a full tear, the tendon looks good but since it is pure muscular Yocum said that surgery is not advised.

Other injuries like this have taken up 18 months to recover.

Yes, he was a bluejay, but at least he wasn't a Giant.

Kitchens and Cahill are good friends so it would be a unbelievable if they became teammates.

Purple Heys

This sounds like good news then...good luck to Wayde on his rehab.
You can't leave me....all the plants will die.

Hammer Ball

If appropriate, how about listing D3 players who might be drafted this year.  While I am more interested in players that might be drafted, i.e. because they were followed pretty closely and/or have had more than passing contact with scouts, rather than players that, in one posters opinion, should be drafted, as long as an explanation/qualifier is given, either would be entertaining.

Hammer Ball

From BA  -

David Filak, rhp, Oneonta State (N.Y.)

Filak has a fresh, explosive arm; he did not pitch in high school and walked on at Oneonta State as a catcher. He was quickly converted to the mound, where he led all Division III pitchers in strikeouts per nine innings (14.86) and fewest hits allowed per nine innings (5.07) as a sophomore last year. Scouts were buzzing about Filak after he ran his fastball up to 95 mph and flashed a plus-plus 83 mph spike curveball in his 2010 debut in Vero Beach, but he exited his third start of the season after just two innings because of elbow stiffness, which caused him to miss his next outing. He did not show quite as much velocity after returning to action, but he still posted a dominant season, going 8-0, 1.82 with 96 strikeouts and 16 walks through 59 innings. Filak's fastball settled in at 90-93 mph, and he still regularly flashed a plus curveball with 12-to-6 break in the 77-80 range. Filak did not learn to throw a changeup until last fall, and the pitch is a work in progress. Filak has a physical, athletic 6-foot-5, 220-pound frame, and he could still add velocity as he learns to make better use of his lower half in his delivery.

Hammer Ball

From BA (2009) - pick no. 792 by Minnesota  did not sign

Righthander Mike Giovenco attracted scouts to North Park, an NCAA Division III school with an enrollment of 3,000, when he touched 95 mph early in the year. The 6-foot-6, 235-pounder's velocity steadily declined to the high 80s by the end of the season, but his arm strength and size are attractive. Giovenco, who redshirted at Illinois-Chicago in 2007, needs to come up with a more consistent breaking ball. He throws both a slider and a curveball, as well as a changeup. There's some concern that his delivery puts stress on his shoulder.

Mikewink64

I got to Watch Mike Giovenco Pitch Earlier This Year In Chicago, When He Went Head to Head Against Tj Wink of UW Superior Wisconsin.. Mike Is a Bigger Guy With Good fastball,There Were Scout's in the Stand's from The Brewer's & the Padre's.. He pitched ok. But Was OUT done By Tj Wink & UW Superior. Wink IS a 6'4" // 180 lbs LHP.. Who Throw's High 80's low 90's fastball , but his best pitch is His Nasty Curveball .. So Sometimes You Just never know, Who should be Drafted & Who Does Get Drafted.. YellowJacket Pride.. 

carthage88fan

Quote from: Hammer Ball on May 17, 2010, 01:51:23 PM
From BA (2009) - pick no. 792 by Minnesota  did not sign

Righthander Mike Giovenco attracted scouts to North Park, an NCAA Division III school with an enrollment of 3,000, when he touched 95 mph early in the year. The 6-foot-6, 235-pounder's velocity steadily declined to the high 80s by the end of the season, but his arm strength and size are attractive. Giovenco, who redshirted at Illinois-Chicago in 2007, needs to come up with a more consistent breaking ball. He throws both a slider and a curveball, as well as a changeup. There's some concern that his delivery puts stress on his shoulder.

sat behind a couple of scouts (directly behind home plate) when carthage pounded him for 10 runs. was not impressed with giovenco's "body language" at all.

just my take.

knj329

Where do you see James Wood Trinity (CT) OF .....New England Intercollegiate player of the year  2010...NECBL 2009 player of the year...hit .441/ 13 HR/ 42 RBI / .881 slg % / .504 op %   going in the draft next week if at all?

BigPoppa

Quote from: knj329 on May 30, 2010, 02:53:30 PM
Where do you see James Wood Trinity (CT) OF .....New England Intercollegiate player of the year  2010...NECBL 2009 player of the year...hit .441/ 13 HR/ 42 RBI / .881 slg % / .504 op %   going in the draft next week if at all?

On average, only 10-20 D3 players get drafted at all. I am not sure where he will fall. Every year, there are D3 guys no one has ever heard of drafted and the top D3 players sit home waiting for the phone to ring.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: BigPoppa on May 30, 2010, 08:07:23 PM
Quote from: knj329 on May 30, 2010, 02:53:30 PM
Where do you see James Wood Trinity (CT) OF .....New England Intercollegiate player of the year  2010...NECBL 2009 player of the year...hit .441/ 13 HR/ 42 RBI / .881 slg % / .504 op %   going in the draft next week if at all?

On average, only 10-20 D3 players get drafted at all. I am not sure where he will fall. Every year, there are D3 guys no one has ever heard of drafted and the top D3 players sit home waiting for the phone to ring.

Of those drafted are most position players or pitchers. I know the 2008 & 2009 National Players Of the Year. One went in the last round and one went undrafted.
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html