BB: D3 MLB Draft projections, picks and free-agent signings

Started by AlleyCat, May 29, 2008, 10:12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

forheavendial4999

Quote from: mideastfan2 on June 07, 2011, 10:51:39 PM
Quote from: El Hombre on June 07, 2011, 09:11:44 PM
What about the pitchers from Marietta, Gasser and Blaski?  Any draft probability?  Or the other SCIAC pitcher from Redlands, Johnson?

the Marietta guys don't have a chance this year.  They are both Juniors though, so it may depend on how they do this summer in a wooden bat league, after posting such a great college season....Blaski is playing up in Green Bay (same team as Marietta closer Kyle Linquist, and 1st team All-American Rauh from Chapman; not a bad staff) :)  not sure where Gasser will be playing.

Is Rauh going to be available?

Let's just hope none of these guys get tempted by a D-I school :)

BigPoppa

When I was a college assistan/head coach, I avoided sending my players to the Northwoods LEague because so many of the coaches (at that time) used that summer league as a recruiting tool to pull the top NAIA, D3 and D2 players into their own programs.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

infielddad

The recent NCAA transfer rule change is important now.  As Big Poppa describes, when our son played, he had many offers and options to transfer as a result of playing in the NECBL.  In fact, one ACC program had him admitted and a place to live offered.
He chose to stay at his D3.
Now, he and any D3 to D1 transfer would face the one year sit out rule.
Combine sitting out for one year and the loss of credits toward academic progress and the transfer is not nearly as fun or attractive to the student athlete. Also, a little known NCAA rule precludes the DI from providing any athletic scholarship for one year in a D3 to D1 transfer.
The one year sit rule creates an impediment to the DI coaches who used to do this.
With that said, a talent like Rauh probably could still get offers if he pitched well. The question is how much risk would a player be willing to take, since nearly all the risk is assumed by them during that transfer year.

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: infielddad on June 09, 2011, 10:19:42 AM
The recent NCAA transfer rule change is important now.  As Big Poppa describes, when our son played, he had many offers and options to transfer as a result of playing in the NECBL.  In fact, one ACC program had him admitted and a place to live offered.

He chose to stay at his D3.

Now, he and any D3 to D1 transfer would face the one year sit out rule.
Combine sitting out for one year and the loss of credits toward academic progress and the transfer is not nearly as fun or attractive to the student athlete. Also, a little known NCAA rule precludes the DI from providing any athletic scholarship for one year in a D3 to D1 transfer.
The one year sit rule creates an impediment to the DI coaches who used to do this.
With that said, a talent like Rauh probably could still get offers if he pitched well. The question is how much risk would a player be willing to take, since nearly all the risk is assumed by them during that transfer year.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=2B&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=571551
A few years back Ryan Cavan(Trinity-TX, Chapman, UCSB) sat out a year when he transferred from Chapman to UCSB. It worked out for him. He is now in his 3rd year with the Giants organization.
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

infielddad

You are right, exactly right.
Things have worked out very well for Ryan in baseball. He is a terrific player.
Ryan is a good friend, a terrific player and one I hope is playing 2B for the Giants or some MLB team in the next couple of years.
I have known Ryan since high school and was absolutely astounded he could not get any DI interest coming out of high school. He followed our son to Trinity and may well have stayed...if they had surfing.
Ryan would have been drafted whether he stayed at Trinity or Chapman.
Ryan's situation applied a very different rule.
Because Ryan transferred twice, he was required to sit out the 2nd time. I have not asked Ryan how transferring twice affected his academic progress/loss of units.
Had Ryan stayed at Trinity or Chapman, he likely would have been drafted as a junior.  Because he transferred to UCSB, he sat out one year.  Necessarily he paid another year of college tuition, but at in State rates. Our son would have been an out of State in the ACC and the tuition was substantial, very substantial. .
While it worked out for Ryan, I don't know that it made a difference for him in baseball other than he is one year older, which does not help him in MLB.

OshDude

Keystone catcher Brian Henry is the first 2011 D3 draft pick to sign, according to Baseball America.

OshDude

The draft is about a month away. Add any other confirmed prospects.

Jackson Baker, Rhodes
Max Beatty, Pacific Lutheran
Conor Bierfeldt, Western Connecticut St.
Tyler Brunnemann, Hardin-Simmons
PJ Cerreto, Ramapo
Justin D'Amato, St. John Fisher
Joel Effertz, UW-La Crosse
Zack Graczyk, Cortland St.
Kevin Herget, Kean
Eric Jensen, Wheaton (Mass.)
Ryan Lucero, Trinity (Texas)
Steve Maher, St. Thomas
Wes Meadows, Otterbein
Joseph Odom, Huntingdon
Alex Palioca, Wheaton (Mass.)
Collin Radack, Hendrix
Patrick Robinson, Keystone
Rob Rogers, Keystone
Sean Ryan, Wheaton (Mass.)
Leon Stimpson, Alvernia
Wes Walker, Ferrum
Tim Wilson, Linfield

108 Stitches

Kyle Bogese, Trinity Tx

Will definitely be taken, may be the hardest thrower in DIII, clocked up to 97, but has backed off a bit and learned how to throw strikes.  ;)

Patriotfan87

UTT has four guys (possibly 5) that are throwing 90+ but I don't know if they are on anyone's radar. Three seniors, two juniors.

Boysofsummer21

CHristopher Newport has 3 guy on the radar

Chrismon
Taylor
Fleishman

Heat23

Chris Sweeney- King's College has been invited by the Tampa Rays for a workout.

forheavendial4999

I have no idea if he's actually being scouted or not, but I think Alex Toth should be. Outstanding arm, sterling defense, has been great at handling a very young Marietta staff, hitting .430 and has not swung and missed with two strikes yet this year.

Only gap power, but for catcher that seems less critical. Maxwell only has 1 HR in his pro career so far.

I would think a team could sign him, and even if he doesn't work out could be a great instructional guy for a hotshot 18-19 year old. The amount he has improved in 3 years is almost beyond imagination. At the start of his soph year he was a converted middle infielder that literally could not get a hit. And now he's a likely All-American.

I don't know why a team wouldn't want to see what he can do in the pros.

playball

A lot of good/great players in D3 go undrafted.  A big reason for this is age.  Most players at a D3 play all four years and are 22/23 when they are drafted and are already somewhat behind in development.   I'm not saying it can't be done, but the odds are already against them as age is a big factor.

rob

Quote from: playball on May 11, 2013, 09:00:59 AM
A lot of good/great players in D3 go undrafted.  A big reason for this is age.  Most players at a D3 play all four years and are 22/23 when they are drafted and are already somewhat behind in development.   I'm not saying it can't be done, but the odds are already against them as age is a big factor.
As compared to D1 or D2?  Getting drafted after your junior year makes you only 1 year younger.

BBFan62

Quote from: rob on May 11, 2013, 01:41:14 PM
Quote from: playball on May 11, 2013, 09:00:59 AM
As compared to D1 or D2?  Getting drafted after your junior year makes you only 1 year younger.
A big reason for D3 is level of play, not age. D1 seniors are (unles they were red shirted) are the same age as a DIII senior.

AJ Nathan IWU catcher is on the radar of a couple of teams.