MBB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, February 24, 2005, 09:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wcbsas

Quote from: frodotwo on April 30, 2011, 10:11:40 PM
Quote from: PointSpecial on April 30, 2011, 10:02:11 PM
Quote from: frodotwo on April 30, 2011, 09:08:33 PM
Quote from: ShineTime on April 21, 2011, 10:23:37 PM
Harris leaving is old news but I heard there's more to it than his mother living out of state.  I heard there's some issues with one of the coaches and also that Danny Tillema is not playing next year if Harris leaves.  Take it for what it's worth but my source is excellent on this one.

Further rumor is that both Tillema's are leaving as well as Jamie Mauch. That leaves Point with no one for next year with any starting experience, and 8 of their top 11 scorers gone. :'(  I don't recall Point ever having no starts coming into a new year.

Any talk about why?

Mauch is most likely lack of playing time and personality conflicts play heavily in the Tillema's leaving.
Semling can be a domineering imposing personality that has scared a lot of guys away.
Life you lead is the life you teach!

stoutguy

Quote from: wcbsas on May 01, 2011, 11:09:40 AM
Harris leaving is old news but I heard there's more to it than his mother living out of state.  I heard there's some issues with one of the coaches and also that Danny Tillema is not playing next year if Harris leaves.  Take it for what it's worth but my source is excellent on this one.

Further rumor is that both Tillema's are leaving as well as Jamie Mauch. That leaves Point with no one for next year with any starting experience, and 8 of their top 11 scorers gone. :'(  I don't recall Point ever having no starts coming into a new year.

Any talk about why?

Mauch is most likely lack of playing time and personality conflicts play heavily in the Tillema's leaving.
Semling can be a domineering imposing personality that has scared a lot of guys away.
That domineering, imposing personality has done okay in his tenure.  I have found him to be a nothing but classy, appropriate, candid, available, and kind in my dealings with him as an opposition media guy.  Quite honestly, I rate him as the best coach in the conference.

ShineTime

It really sucks because Point was going to be top 5 in the nation next year.  Harris pretty much had the green light to shoot any time at Point I wonder if that will carry over to wherever he transfers.  I think Semling is a great coach and don't understand what these guys are thinking.
GOTTA LOVE ACT 10

wcbsas

Quote from: stoutguy on May 01, 2011, 11:46:42 AM
Harris leaving is old news but I heard there's more to it than his mother living out of state.  I heard there's some issues with one of the coaches and also that Danny Tillema is not playing next year if Harris leaves.  Take it for what it's worth but my source is excellent on this one.

Further rumor is that both Tillema's are leaving as well as Jamie Mauch. That leaves Point with no one for next year with any starting experience, and 8 of their top 11 scorers gone. :'(  I don't recall Point ever having no starts coming into a new year.

Any talk about why?

That domineering, imposing personality has done okay in his tenure.  I have found him to be a nothing but classy, appropriate, candid, available, and kind in my dealings with him as an opposition media guy.  Quite honestly, I rate him as the best coach in the conference.
Frankly his persona on the practice court is much different than it is with media guys.  He probably is the best coach in the conference.  No other active coach in the conference possesses a national championship nor the conistent year-in-year out results that he has accomplished.

That still doesn't negate my comments or presumptions.  He has had (as a number of other programs have had) quite a few guys leaving.  Not unusual but when you potentially have guys like Tillema and Harris, (amongst others) who have been on the court contributors, not returning - it at least has to make you wonder!

wcbsas

QuoteStevens Point standout takes visit to St. Leo

Jerrel Harris, a former standout at Whitefish Bay Dominican who has spent the past two years putting up huge numbers for UW-Stevens Point, plans to transfer and recently took an official visit to St. Leo.

A first-team all-league pick in the Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference last season, Harris is a 5-9 guard who led Stevens Point in scoring at 15.4 points per game.

Winona State, another Division II school, is also pursuing Harris, who played a key role in helping Stevens Point capture the league and post-season tournament titles in the WIAC in 2010-11.

http://www.wissports.net/article.asp?pageID=1&newsID=21519&sportID=1

wcbsas

Quote from: jimhoops1234 on April 29, 2011, 11:50:02 PM
From Eau Claire newspaper

The finalists are Edgewood College coach Todd Adrian, former UW-Stout assistant and Eau Claire native Eric Gardow, Northern Iowa assistant Kyle Green, Milwaukee School of Engineering coach Brian Miller, former Loyola-Chicago coach James Whitesell and Hamline coach Nelson Whitmore.
http://www.uwecblugolds.com/?view=page&id=185&sport=mbkb

Todd Adrian - Resume
Eric Gardow - Resume
Kyle Green - Resume
Brian Miller - Resume
James Whitesell - Resume
Nelson Whitmore - Resume

badgerwarhawk

It looks like a solid group of canidates. 
"Just think twice is my only advice."

frodotwo

Quote from: wcbsas on May 02, 2011, 09:40:14 AM
Harris leaving is old news but I heard there's more to it than his mother living out of state.  I heard there's some issues with one of the coaches and also that Danny Tillema is not playing next year if Harris leaves.  Take it for what it's worth but my source is excellent on this one.

Further rumor is that both Tillema's are leaving as well as Jamie Mauch. That leaves Point with no one for next year with any starting experience, and 8 of their top 11 scorers gone. :'(  I don't recall Point ever having no starts coming into a new year.

Any talk about why?

That domineering, imposing personality has done okay in his tenure.  I have found him to be a nothing but classy, appropriate, candid, available, and kind in my dealings with him as an opposition media guy.  Quite honestly, I rate him as the best coach in the conference.
Frankly his persona on the practice court is much different than it is with media guys.  He probably is the best coach in the conference.  No other active coach in the conference possesses a national championship nor the conistent year-in-year out results that he has accomplished.

That still doesn't negate my comments or presumptions.  He has had (as a number of other programs have had) quite a few guys leaving.  Not unusual but when you potentially have guys like Tillema and Harris, (amongst others) who have been on the court contributors, not returning - it at least has to make you wonder!

The head coach has to be able to transform all of those individuals into a cohesive team and it's got to be hard to figure out how best to coach/teach/criticize each one. Some handle criticism differently and respond differently. To lose three players who had started games and still have eligibility left is way out of the norm. The pressure to succeed is tough on coaches and players alike. Several players have been through 4 years of Semling's program and are certainly better for it. If all these players leave as speculated we'll find out for real where he is as a recruiter and coach.

Hoops Junkie

When looking at this list you immediately look at Whitesell and say wow that would be a slam dunk hire. 

I also think that for some reason Gardow is a dark horse and has a good shot

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Shanagolden on May 02, 2011, 03:11:42 PM
When looking at this list you immediately look at Whitesell and say wow that would be a slam dunk hire. 

Yes, but there's more to hiring a head coach than merely picking the applicant with the flashiest resume ... a lot more.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Hoops Junkie

No question Greg I agree with you completely.  Just saying that Whitesell's name and resume jump out out you.

I think all in all its a good group of candidates.

wcbsas

Quote from: frodotwo on May 02, 2011, 02:06:36 PM
Quote from: wcbsas on May 02, 2011, 09:40:14 AM

Any talk about why?

The head coach has to be able to transform all of those individuals into a cohesive team and it's got to be hard to figure out how best to coach/teach/criticize each one. Some handle criticism differently and respond differently. To lose three players who had started games and still have eligibility left is way out of the norm. The pressure to succeed is tough on coaches and players alike. Several players have been through 4 years of Semling's program and are certainly better for it. If all these players leave as speculated we'll find out for real where he is as a recruiter and coach.
Of course he has to transform a group of talented individuals into a team.  And every team from Duke to UWSP are going to lose players.  And finally you can't let the inmates run the asylum BUT we're not talking Jamie Mauch, Ben Schumacher, Mike Griffin or Matt Smith ... we're talking Jerrell Harris, Dan and Tyler Tillema.  Kids who have played.  Kids who were starters.  Heck Scott Hoelzel left the program only to return a year later.

I'm sure for every player example I could hold up, you could cite one who has a completely positive experience.

But riddle me this ... When is the last time a first team all-conference player left a WIAC team before he graduated?  When is the last time the defending conference champ has two starters leave before their eligibility is used up?

John Gleich

Jerrel Harris verbally committed to St. Leo this afternoon (according to his twitter post).

I've got lots of feelings about this...  I may post it later, just need to digest this a bit more first.
UWSP Men's Basketball

National Champions: 2015, 2010, 2005, 2004

NCAA appearances: 2018, '15, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Twitter: @JohnGleich

John Gleich

Quote from: PointSpecial on May 03, 2011, 09:00:50 PM
Jerrel Harris verbally committed to St. Leo this afternoon (according to his twitter post).

I've got lots of feelings about this...  I may post it later, just need to digest this a bit more first.

John Johnston leaving for Leo too, according to Mark Miller (also on twitter)
UWSP Men's Basketball

National Champions: 2015, 2010, 2005, 2004

NCAA appearances: 2018, '15, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Twitter: @JohnGleich

haterinthehouse

Bad form on the part of Randall, bad form for allowing this to happen. I'm sure semling is glad that he is all the way down in Florida