FB: American Southwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

umhb2001

Watch out for the wreckingCRU defense!!

umhb2001

After a great first drive, the UMHB offense struggled to run the ball, looking lethargic on the offensive line and out of sync with sophomore QB and freshman RB as well as a slew of wide receivers who had not one catch for the varsity last year. On defense, the Defensive line was gashed repeatedly as the Lions out rushed the Cru in the first half. After the break, Luke Poorman led the Cru to a string of tds, and RBs who weren't to be found on the listed roster began to control the game. Defensively we shored up as well.

Will we lose first place votes? Probably. But only the ones at the end of the year matter. Clearly, we are missing veteran leadership on offense, but with games that aren't high on the difficulty meter strung together to start the season, there is a lot of time to make improvements. Should be an interesting 4-5 weeks.
Watch out for the wreckingCRU defense!!

Etchglow

Quote from: umhb2001 on September 14, 2019, 10:54:34 PM
After a great first drive, the UMHB offense struggled to run the ball, looking lethargic on the offensive line and out of sync with sophomore QB and freshman RB as well as a slew of wide receivers who had not one catch for the varsity last year. On defense, the Defensive line was gashed repeatedly as the Lions our rushed the Cru in the first half. After the break, Luke Poorman led the Cru to a strong of tds, and RBs who weren't to be found on the listed roster began to control the game. Defensively we shores up as well.

Will we lose first place votes? Probably. But only the ones at the end of the year matter. Clearly, we are missing veteran leadership on offense, but with games that aren't high on the difficulty meter strung together to start the season, there is a lot of time to make improvements. Should be an interesting 4-5 weeks.

Yep, there were several drops and errant passes in the first half (and the weird picked up pass interference flag) that really hampered getting anything going on offense. It didn't help that Brenton Martin didn't play in the first half.

I was really impressed with Luke coming in and leading 4 straight scoring drives. He sure can make some passes. We sure were spoiled with Aaron Sims and KJ Miller on the return team last year...

Hope everyone has a great weekend and on to the next game!

Toby Taff

Quote from: Etchglow on September 14, 2019, 11:05:38 PM
Quote from: umhb2001 on September 14, 2019, 10:54:34 PM
After a great first drive, the UMHB offense struggled to run the ball, looking lethargic on the offensive line and out of sync with sophomore QB and freshman RB as well as a slew of wide receivers who had not one catch for the varsity last year. On defense, the Defensive line was gashed repeatedly as the Lions our rushed the Cru in the first half. After the break, Luke Poorman led the Cru to a strong of tds, and RBs who weren't to be found on the listed roster began to control the game. Defensively we shores up as well.

Yep, there were several drops and errant passes in the first half (and the weird picked up pass interference flag) that really hampered getting anything going on offense. It didn't help that Brenton Martin didn't play in the first half.

I was really impressed with Luke coming in and leading 4 straight scoring drives. He sure can make some passes. We sure were spoiled with Aaron Sims and KJ Miller on the return team last year...

Hope everyone has a great weekend and on to the next game!
Martin played in the first half, 12 never looked his way. everything redding three went right. The pass he threw to 26 that was dropped would've been 6. 26 really showed some speed when he separated. don't know why Luke didn't get the nod, but the team really responded to him.
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

DFWCrufan

Lets consider this, we had three QBs score, Redding, Poorman and Bowman all ran in for 6s' The first half Redding hit a cross the middle 26 yarder nicely then took one in himself. After that things slowed down, perhaps the Sophomore just needs a bit more work to take control of that kind of situation, but a decent first showing.
Luke, showed he knows what he is doing, I would believe we will see Luke or Jase driving the rest of the season, first game is nice to see what you need to do, now let the lines begin gelling.

We had alot of looks of a whole lot of players, alot of new numbers and names, alot to learn. Remember these names....Jo'Vel McDaniel and Tye Hill - Jo'Vel seems to be a more powerful back while Tye, speedster along the lines of a Bryce Wilkerson. I see great things coming from these guys.

As long as the Cru keeps winning, keeps working let' em take ranks, as long as they win conference and every other game after that, Fine. Game one in the books, I like the odds.
9 Year Member of the CRU-Nation! UMHB National Champions 2016 and 2018

DFWCrufan

HSUCowboy2015

New D3 Top 25 poll is out: https://d3football.com/top25/2019/week2

Very surprised that HSU jumped ahead of Muhlenberg this week. We squeaked out a win against a very disciplined and well coached Trinity squad. I'm hoping they play as well against Berry and Centre, I can honestly see them winning their conference this year and being a very tough match-up in the first round. Very impressed by them. Us on the other hand, offensive moved the ball, but struggled in the red zone. Too many mistakes in the form of turnovers, we had three of them. Defense got hit in the mouth the opening possession then locked down and really didn't allow Trinity to do much after. HPU looks significantly improved, lets see how much this week in our match-up against them.
Stay Purple

CowboyAlum261

Quote from: HSUAlum255 on September 15, 2019, 06:39:53 PM

Very surprised that HSU jumped ahead of Muhlenberg this week. We squeaked out a win against a very disciplined and well coached Trinity squad. I'm hoping they play as well against Berry and Centre, I can honestly see them winning their conference this year and being a very tough match-up in the first round. Very impressed by them. Us on the other hand, offensive moved the ball, but struggled in the red zone. Too many mistakes in the form of turnovers, we had three of them. Defense got hit in the mouth the opening possession then locked down and really didn't allow Trinity to do much after. HPU looks significantly improved, lets see how much this week in our match-up against them.

Hats off to Trinity for being much more prepared and disciplined from the opening kickoff. That being said, the game was not as close as the score might indicate. We had the ball inside the Trinity 10 yard line 5 times and only got 1TD, 3 FGs, and a turnover on downs. Easily could've been a 35 point effort, but we just couldn't follow through on the goal line.

Overall I'm glad we had a tough test early, but we need to step up our execution on offense. We can't afford to be so sloppy in the red zone against ASC opponents. Trinity has come a long way in the last few years, and they should play a great game against Berry next week.

crufootball

Quote from: CowboyAlum261 on September 15, 2019, 06:53:15 PM

Hats off to Trinity for being much more prepared and disciplined from the opening kickoff. That being said, the game was not as close as the score might indicate. We had the ball inside the Trinity 10 yard line 5 times and only got 1TD, 3 FGs, and a turnover on downs. Easily could've been a 35 point effort, but we just couldn't follow through on the goal line.

Overall I'm glad we had a tough test early, but we need to step up our execution on offense. We can't afford to be so sloppy in the red zone against ASC opponents. Trinity has come a long way in the last few years, and they should play a great game against Berry next week.

I didn't watch a down of this game, so this isn't a sarcastic question, but did Trinity have anything to do with HSU only getting 1 TD, 3 FGs and a turnover on downs?

HSUCowboy2015

Quote from: crufootball on September 15, 2019, 08:38:39 PM

I didn't watch a down of this game, so this isn't a sarcastic question, but did Trinity have anything to do with HSU only getting 1 TD, 3 FGs and a turnover on downs?

I would say partially. We honestly struggled with their defensive line most of the night. Play calling was suspect once we hit the red zone, but that's me being an armchair coordinator. I would say that the majority of us not converting was us shooting ourselves in the foot. BUT, by all means, Trinity is a good football team and they played us competitively.
Stay Purple

CowboyAlum261

Quote from: crufootball on September 15, 2019, 08:38:39 PM

Didn't mean to take anything away from Trinity's effort in the red zone, they definitely bowed up on the goal line. But from my angle, it seemed like it was penalties and missed assignments on our end that really kept us from being more successful.

crufootball

Another question for the HSU faithful, it would appear that former UMHB QB, Kyle Jones, has climbed the depth chart and was listed as back up to Wooten last weekend. Didn't look like he did much in the Sul Ross game so my question is he lighting it up in practice or was this more of a way to get him some live snaps if you a sizable lead?

DFWCrufan

UMHB V. Albright Scoring runs (Yeah I missed McDaniels score in this grab) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePTXgEsT_DA&feature=youtu.be

DFWCrufan

HSU will be the first serious test for the Cru. Hemphill, what the, that guys just seems to transport out of the grasp of tacklers.

justafan12

Just a general ASC question, who sets the game times?  Seems like there are a lot of 1:00 PM start times in September.  Still rather hot in most area at that time.  I realize travel could dictate game starts but looking at some I don't see travel being an issue

HPU vs. McMurry     1:00 pm
HSU vs. HPU   1:00 pm
SRU vs. McMurry 2:00 pm
UMHB vs. McMurry 1:00 pm
SRU vs. SW 1:00 pm