FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macon

The RMC football Twitter site itself will give you most of the recruits.  Others I found by simply searching 'Randolph Macon'.

y_jack_lok

Quote from: Macon on February 26, 2023, 11:23:54 AM
The RMC football Twitter site itself will give you most of the recruits.  Others I found by simply searching 'Randolph Macon'.

Thanks. I follow them on Twitter but haven't been seeing any of the tweets in quite a while. Maybe all the fuss about what's happened since Elon Musk took over Twitter has some truth to it.

jknezek

Well the W&L Football schedule is out. Non-Conference games are 9/2 hosting Salisbury, 9/16 hosting Methodist and 9/23 at Apprentice.

This marks only the third year since 1955, and one of them 2020, that W&L will not play Sewanee. Once upon a time we had a similar streak with Centre. I'm sad to see these traditional rivals go. Centre got the best of us in a similar way to how we got the best of Sewanee. Now both small liberal arts colleges with strong academics are gone from the schedule, replaced by a public institution and Apprentice.

I have nothing against Salisbury and Apprentice. Salisbury has a fine football tradition, and it's rare to have two option teams face each other these days. Apprentice serves a worthy student base, and while they are up and down at the extremes in football, they perform well given the difficulties they face.

But I miss the traditional rivals. I hope losing Sewanee is a one year thing. I'd hate to see a tradition of 70 contests, all but 11 out of conference, fade away.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: jknezek on April 03, 2023, 01:34:11 PM
Well the W&L Football schedule is out. Non-Conference games are 9/2 hosting Salisbury, 9/16 hosting Methodist and 9/23 at Apprentice.

This marks only the third year since 1955, and one of them 2020, that W&L will not play Sewanee. Once upon a time we had a similar streak with Centre. I'm sad to see these traditional rivals go. Centre got the best of us in a similar way to how we got the best of Sewanee. Now both small liberal arts colleges with strong academics are gone from the schedule, replaced by a public institution and Apprentice.

I have nothing against Salisbury and Apprentice. Salisbury has a fine football tradition, and it's rare to have two option teams face each other these days. Apprentice serves a worthy student base, and while they are up and down at the extremes in football, they perform well given the difficulties they face.

But I miss the traditional rivals. I hope losing Sewanee is a one year thing. I'd hate to see a tradition of 70 contests, all but 11 out of conference, fade away.

It seems quite unusual to see W&L play all of its non-conference games against schools that are in no way peers academically. The W&L of 20 years ago would not have done that.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

WilsonField

Sewane dropped W&L and wouldn't renew the contract.

jknezek

Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 03, 2023, 01:41:30 PM

It seems quite unusual to see W&L play all of its non-conference games against schools that are in no way peers academically. The W&L of 20 years ago would not have done that.

That is very much my feeling as well. Used to be pretty consistently we played Sewanee to the South, Centre to the West, a Centennial or New York based team to the North and then another peer school from somewhere in an 8 hour bus ride circle (back when conferences were smaller and teams needed more OOC games).

Most player parents had at least one game headed their direction. But the Centennial schools only need 1 game, the New York schools don't need to travel to find the few OOC games they need, Centre I think got tired of beating on us, especially with the SAA travel, and deemed it unnecessary. Maybe Sewanee got the same feel. You run into similar problems with PAC and NCAC schools. They simply don't need a game in Lexington.

Add on that schools like Georgetown and Davidson that we played quite often before the NCAA forced them up to FCS are no longer available, though that barely fits in a 25 year window these days, and there is a problem.

I've seen a wider variety of schools, but I think that's out of necessity. If W&L wants to play peer schools, they have a problem.  I think you'd agree with me when I say it's partially a problem of their own making stretching back more than those 20years...

jknezek

Quote from: WilsonField on April 03, 2023, 01:48:46 PM

I guess I'm not surprised. Sewanee needs to get their program back on track. And with the way the SAA is changing in the next few years, their travel is going to go up significantly. Still, while we've had the upper hand over the last 20 years, it wasn't always that way and I hate losing the rivalry.

Pat Coleman

The SAA got larger but they will probably be getting smaller again. Their non-conference schedules are a little in flux.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

jknezek

Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 03, 2023, 02:27:16 PM

The SAA got larger but they will probably be getting smaller again. Their non-conference schedules are a little in flux.

True. We may find out if they are getting smaller this fall in 2 days. 10/7 Sewanee hosts B-SC. Consider me... skeptical...

BSCpanthers

Quote from: jknezek on April 03, 2023, 02:36:47 PM

True. We may find out if they are getting smaller this fall in 2 days. 10/7 Sewanee hosts B-SC. Consider me... skeptical...

Decision by the school to be made Wednesday, but we will know tomorrow if the state is going to help or not.  If it's a no, school is done, unfortunately.

Ron Boerger

And if Millsaps doesn't turn their situation around in a hurry, by the time the conference gets larger it will be just enough to maintain the size it is today.

MRMIKESMITH

Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 03, 2023, 01:41:30 PM

Woah, Woah, Woah, we take pride in our academics Pat!

MRMIKESMITH

I'm actually not a fan of two triple option teams playing each other. Although the game will probably be finished before many of its shared gametime start counterparts, I truly enjoy watching teams with vastly different systems play against each other. However, from a recruiting standpoint, Salisbury has been trying to get back into VA for recruiting for quite some time, so there's that I guess. It's going to be interesting to see which defense falls for the wrinkle. Aside from the triple each team was destroyed by Mount Union in the 1st round of the past two playoffs, yet I don't think neither offensive coordinator took anything away from it. I'm sure both offensive staffs have gone to the same clinics over the years.

I do think that W&L runs more of a "SPREAD" Triple Option than Salisbury claims. Salisbury in more of a traditional Flexbone Triple

Ralph Turner

Wow! Triple option.

We ran the Wishbone Triple Option, just like Emory Bellard designed it, when I played in high school.

jknezek

Quote from: MRMIKESMITH on April 03, 2023, 04:23:12 PM

I'm actually not a fan of two triple option teams playing each other. Although the game will probably be finished before many of its shared gametime start counterparts, I truly enjoy watching teams with vastly different systems play against each other. However, from a recruiting standpoint, Salisbury has been trying to get back into VA for recruiting for quite some time, so there's that I guess. It's going to be interesting to see which defense falls for the wrinkle. Aside from the triple each team was destroyed by Mount Union in the 1st round of the past two playoffs, yet I don't think neither offensive coordinator took anything away from it. I'm sure both offensive staffs have gone to the same clinics over the years.

I do think that W&L runs more of a "SPREAD" Triple Option than Salisbury claims. Salisbury in more of a traditional Flexbone Triple

This is correct as far as it goes for base offenses. But any kind of Option on Option is a rare game these days. It does make for an interesting first game. W&L usually struggles against their first opponent because they get so much time to prepare for the triple option. I guess this makes that a dead issue as both teams will be very familiar with it.