MBB: Little East

Started by diiih00ps, January 25, 2005, 12:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlk

Quote from: magicman on March 09, 2014, 10:37:33 AM

Plattsburgh improves to 24-5 and will meet the Amherst Lord Jeffs for the second year in a row in the Sweet 16, probably in Amherst once again. :(

Who makes out these damn schedules anyway? ??? :P                                                     

After wrecking MIT's tourney, I'm hoping at least that Plattsburgh shows that we ran into a buzzsaw.  That game was brutal.
MIT Course VI-3 1987 -- #RollTech

7express

Everyone vote for Mike Garrow in the d3 Reese's All Star game:
http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2014/03/nabc-all-star-voting

ECSUalum

Eastern Basketball's Garrow: All-America
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Senior Mike Garrow (Terryville) was named the first NABC Division III men's basketball All-America in Eastern Connecticut State University history when he was a third-team choice to the 2014 team, announced today.

Congratulations to Mike Garrow!  Outstanding job!!!

ECSUalum

Pictures of Mike Garrow/others in D-III NABS All Star Game played in Salem VA prior to the D-III final 4 games.

http://d3photography.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/MBKB-NABC-All-Star-Game-03-22-14/G0000ec9_AMNiv.4/I0000HVeouehYrh0/C0000SRMxHsZRCdE

Box Score for All Star game:

http://www.d3hoops.com/playoffs/men/2014/d3-all-star-game-box-score

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

In case any of you are following the news... Bob Walsh has left RIC to be the new head coach at University of Maine: http://goblackbears.com/sports/m-baskbl/2013-14/releases/20140507hdphb7
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

7express

I wonder who will take over the RIC program??

TrinColl1

A name to watch out for is Jason Harris! Played at RIC and is now a D1 Assistant at LIU in Brooklyn NY

ECSUalum

7express

Looks like last seasons schedule coming out in July was a fluke as on August 20 Western has no schedule posted for the upcoming season.  Since I graduated from there I'm not sure how often I'll be checking the athletics website, but if I find anything out, I'll let it be known.

Edit: Women's schedule is out; looks like Western has 4 of their first 5 LEC games at home, and have 1 Saturday home game after January 17 (that coming on January 31).  Vs. RIC, @ Keene, vs. Eastern @ Boston are the final 4 games, that looks like the toughest stretch of the LEC season.  Both Keene & Boston should be greatly improved this season, while even though Boston was winless in LEC play in 2014 they played really well down the closing stretch.  I believe only lost to Eastern by 6 or 8 points in the 1/8 game  ???

I'll try to check back in later on in the year.

magicman

Quote from: 7express on August 21, 2014, 12:52:45 AM
Looks like last seasons schedule coming out in July was a fluke as on August 20 Western has no schedule posted for the upcoming season.  Since I graduated from there I'm not sure how often I'll be checking the athletics website, but if I find anything out, I'll let it be known.

Edit: Women's schedule is out; looks like Western has 4 of their first 5 LEC games at home, and have 1 Saturday home game after January 17 (that coming on January 31).  Vs. RIC, @ Keene, vs. Eastern @ Boston are the final 4 games, that looks like the toughest stretch of the LEC season.  Both Keene & Boston should be greatly improved this season, while even though Boston was winless in LEC play in 2014 they played really well down the closing stretch.  I believe only lost to Eastern by 6 or 8 points in the 1/8 game  ???

I'll try to check back in later on in the year.

Hello 7 express,
I didn't know you graduated this past May. Congratulations. Hope you were able to find gainful employment or perhaps you're continuing on with your education. Will you still be active on the boards as you were in past years or will we no longer get to face off in some of our D3 contests?  Hope the summer treated you well. Let me know if you ever get up into the Platttsburgh area.

7express

Thanks Magic!

Yah I'll still be active on here.  Working with my aunt and grandfather at their funeral business till I find something else.  That and having my baseball team (Washington Nationals) doing really well makes the summer go by really fast, lol.

7express

http://wcsuathletics.com/sports/mbkb/2014-15/schedule

Western's schedule.  Take note of the first 2 games: vs. Maine-Augusta (a USCAA school) @ Presque isle about as far north in Maine as you can go while still being in the United States and the next day @ UM-PI.  WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY???  What's the point??  So we can sit on a bus for 10 hours and get 2 easy wins??  If they want easy wins: schedule CCNY & Sarah Lawrence!!  Instead of a 10 hour trip or 3 flights we can take a 80 minute bus trip to those 2 schools.  Makes absolutely no sense.  Hopefully someone can shed some light.

Note: Just checked, UM-PI to Western is 544 miles, so at least the NCAA will pay the flight....HOWEVER the nearest airport we can probably get to is Bangor which is 160 miles and 3 hours down 95, and if we fly direct into Portland that's 290 miles and about 4.5 hours down 95 so what's the point??  There is a regional airport in Presque Isle, but I think they only have flights to Boston and possibly Montreal and or Toronto, so that could be a problem especially if the first flight is delayed, bad weather, etc.  Makes absolutely no sense why we would even entertain the thought of going up there, yet alone actually going up there.  As I said in the first paragraph, WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY???

Btw, rest of the schedule: ehhh.  That's about all I'll say in regards to the creampuff non-LEC portion of the schedule.  No reason they should not be 9-0 heading into the Dartmouth game as the 2 toughest opponents (Vassar & Mitchell [didn't we play them at home last year too??] are at home), and the talent level of UMPI & Augusta should make up for the long travel.   IF I were a betting man, I'd take a bet that Western is no worse then 13-1 heading into the first RIC game, that schedule is an absolute joke.

Pat Coleman

Funny about the flights! That's only a postseason thing. The NCAA doesn't pay any transport for regular season games.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

magicman

Quote from: 7express on August 29, 2014, 04:52:47 PM
Note: Just checked, UM-PI to Western is 544 miles, so at least the NCAA will pay the flight....HOWEVER the nearest airport we can probably get to is Bangor which is 160 miles and 3 hours down 95, and if we fly direct into Portland that's 290 miles and about 4.5 hours down 95 so what's the point??  There is a regional airport in Presque Isle, but I think they only have flights to Boston and possibly Montreal and or Toronto, so that could be a problem especially if the first flight is delayed, bad weather, etc.  Makes absolutely no sense why we would even entertain the thought of going up there, yet alone actually going up there.  As I said in the first paragraph, WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY???

As Pat noted those flights, because the distance between the schools is over 500 miles, is strictly done only during NCAA tournament play, so unless a few wealthy Western backers are renting out a plane for the Colonials they will be enjoying the scenery on that 10 hour bus ride to Maine, probably on Friday. And then get to do it all over again on the 10 hour bus ride home on Sunday after the game.
I agree with you 7, not even the thrill of opening the season 2-0 seems to be worth that trip.

Call up D Mac and have him do a special live Hoopsville from the Western Connecticut Bus. He's a Maine man he'll at least have some history and stories to tell to make the trip interesting.     

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Also, flying to Presque Isle probably means flying from Hartford to Boston then to Portland, then driving six hours on a bus.

You might be able to charter something closer, but the costs would be ridiculous.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere