FB: Commonwealth Coast Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:57:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waggle09

In speaking with an avid follower of Curry football he boasted of many of the tranfers and prep school kids they picked up this year. He said that they were loaded with offensive backs and wide outs. moved one of the qb's to receiver.
Defense  is questionable. although transfer cb looks strong.. It will be interesting how Worcester State will be with posssible new qb. They are always tough.

63Center

Time to start the picks for this week's games involving NEFC teams.

Curry 28   Worcester St 10
Game is at Curry and I think Curry is trying to intimidate some of their opponents with early easy wins.

UMD 21 Merrimack 10
I don't know much about Merrimack, but I think this could be a down year for UMD.

EC 35  Hartwick 21
Hartwick is a passing team so I expect a lot of scoring.  If EC doesn't win this one, it will set a bad tone for the rest of the season.  The last two years EC started out against WPI so they need to take advantage of an easier team.

OK lets see the rest of the picks.

nefc1264

Curry over Worcester State 32-14

Merrimack over UMD 24-10

Hartwick beating Endicott 42-21

D3 Fan

63 CENTER, Hartwick an easier team???? Hartwick plays in a league with Ithica, Alfred, Springfield, St. John Fisher, a Norwich team that is improving as well as a Mt. Ida and Utica teams that are also improving.... Other then Utica (in the past) Mt Ida (in the past) and Hussen, you might want to look at the combined NEFC win total vs. the big 4.  Hartwick has been succesful in the past and will only get better.  I don't know if I'd call them an easier team then WPI....

63Center

I'll stick with EC beating Hartwick and my reference to Hartwick being easier than WPI.  Hartwick has only won 3 games in the last 2 years and is only returning 13 players from a team that won 1 game last year. 

Overall, the E8 may be a stronger conference than the NEFC but I don't believe that a cellar dweller from the E8 will beat one of the better team in the NEFC.  Of course, EC can't take Hartwick lightly either.  That's why the play the game on the field, not on paper.

waggle09

I expect Curry to handle wsc. But u never know, I do not no enough about WSC..
Umass D beating Merrimack...I don't think so. Although  UMD is one of the top teams in NEFC  I expect Merrimack to win handily........35-14.

EC vs. Hartwick.... This game will give u an idea if EC will compete in their conference this year.

AS I SAID BEFORE BOTH CONFERENCES IN NEFC WILL BE VERY COMPETETIVE...

footballfan2005

Does anyone know anything about the Worcester State vs Curry matchups?
Anyone have a scouting report of either team? I know from reading their teams profiles on D3 football.com that they both have transfers that could make an impact?

63Center

FootballFan2005, Both Curry and Worcester lost a lot on defense but have most of their offense back.  It should be a good early season match-up.  I give the nod to Curry since the game is at Curry and I think Curry is going for the three-peat as NEFC champs this year. From the reports I heard about their scrimmage against a weak USCGA team Curry sound like the team to beat in the NEFC again.

D3 Fan

63 center, as I've stated earlier, EC has a long way to go before you can say that they are one of the better teams in the NEFC.  Rate the teams since EC has entered the league.... Do they fall in the top half or the bottom? Are they better then Curry, UMD, Nichols, Westfield, WSU, Fitchburg or BSC?  I don't think so.  Are they better then Maine, Framingham, Mass, WNEC, MIT, Salve?  I think so.  Are they improving and a team not to over look?  Certainly! 

But Norwich, Utica, Hartwick, and Mt Ida would also beat those teams.  WPI is a quality team who hasn't had to play the starters for a complete game against EC either game.  If you look really hard and not at the overall records, you will see that Hartwick is not a step down from WPI.  If EC goes into this game thinking that way they will be in for a long day...I agree that this will be a good test for EC it should only be looked at as a measuring stick to see how far they've come.  Win or loose!  I think EC has a chance and will represent the NEFC well.

63Center

D3fan,  I did not intend to imply that Hartwick would be easy for EC.  As you correctly stated WPI has killed EC the last two seasons and all I was saying was that I thought EC might have a better chance against Hartwick than they have had against WPI the last two seasons. 

Regarding whether EC is a top NEFC contender or not, last season (EC 2nd varsity season) they beat UMD which everyone seems to rate in the top half of the NEFC.  I agree that one winning season does not make you a winning program, but I think you should at least get some recognition for the winning season and not looked at as a second class team.  EC is building a good solid program and unlike a lot of other NEFC schools is not afraid to play tough competition outside the conference such as Hartwich and RPI.  I think the Hartwick-EC game will certainly let EC see how far their program has come or not.  I do think it will be a better opening game than EC has had in the past against WPI.

Expressing opinions regarding teams is what this site is all about even if we all disgree on who is the better team.   I am glad we can discuss our opinions here.  We will see how things turn out on Sat.  At least we agree it should be a good game.

footballfan2005

Friday

WSC @ Curry                                 28-21 (First Upset of the 2005 Season)

Saturday

Endicott @ Hartwick                      10-21

Mass-dartmouth @ Merrimack       10-35 (Can't handle the offense)

........more to come

D3 Fan

Well 63 center?  EC did represent the league well!!!Next is RPI who will be better but these games will help them in the long run...  It shows that they are willing to play better competition like Curry, UMD and Fitchburg, regardless of the final score.

63Center

The EC-Hartwick game was a great opening day game with two evenly matched teams.  EC made some big mistakes at key times with fumbles, interceptions, and penalties that really hurt them on their drives.  If they expect to compete for an NEFC championship they will need to cut down the turnovers and penalties, especially the unsportsman like conduct penalties.

empire8fan

thats sad if your evenly matched w/ Hartwick....poor endicott

D3 Fan

63 center, you've seemed to change your tune regarding Hartwick... you said that a celler dweller from a good league wouldn't beat one of the better teams in the NEFC.  Now it's a good game between 2 evenly matched teams.  I agree with empire 8 fan...