FB: Commonwealth Coast Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:57:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CtLb

The idea that FSC takes "drop outs" is insulting, most of the transfers on the team are there for a reason. Ones mentioned Nick Robbins no longer even lives in North Carolina, him and his family moved to New England that's why he is at FSC. Dee Whitehead was at Marshall not FSU, and transferred to FSC because a friend of his who also went to Marshall went to FSC to play football due to the lack of success at the d1 level. Matt Babcock transferred to FSC, due nagging injuries and the pressure of d1aa football, and there are no d3 teams in ct other than WestConn and some of the coaches at that school can be hard to deal with. So please don't look at FSC as a dump off station for in d1 or d2. The student athletes that attend FSC are there for a reason, play football and go to school. The coaching staff does a great job with helping the players and their families make the right decision. Is FSC successes because we have a lot of transfers? The answer is no, FSC is a good team because of coaching, hard work, dedication to a cause and willingness to overcome adversity. Don't forget FSC was at a high school field for all of the home games due, now if your telling me that a D1 kid wants to play at a high school field then you need to reconsider why they might be at FSC.

Popsman

I'm surprised most people are picking Curry to win the NEFC. 
Fitchburg beat them 28 - 13 (although early in season). 
Fitchburg was 6-0 in the tougher Bogan Div  >>>  BSC, Worcester, Maine.  Curry was also 6 - 0 but only Endicot in the Boyd as competition.
Endicot beat Fitchburg 21 - 7 and Curry beat Endicot 21 - 16.
But Maine beat Curry 28 - 21 and Fitchburg beat Maine 21 - 0.
What 's it all mean ???
My pick is Fitchburg.

bignefcfan15

Quote from: 63Center on November 10, 2005, 06:06:28 PM
I think Curry has a better defense than FSC and the offenses are about equal.  I do think it wil be close.
I agree the game will be close but I do not agree that Curry has the better defense. Look at the stats, fitchburg has allowed the fewest points (111) in both the boyd and bogan. However, playing at Curry ( a beautiful neutral site) I feel Curry wins, low scoring game:
Curry-21
FSC-  17
*Good luck to both teams, can't wait to watch the game.-Cheers

Teck

Fitchburg State has the best defense in the NEFC, look at the statistics, not to mention if anyone has seen the intensity they play with....Curry did a better job at stopping a very potent Endicott offense, but Curry themseles are an I-pro team, whih Fitchburg hasn't had any problems with as of yet...good game today I can't wait to see it unfold
One Brick

HerbTuck89

Just want to make it clear - I was not dissing any players for going to Fitchburg.  Robbins was in South Carolina and he was release from his football scholarship to play at Fitchburg.  If his family moved to Fitchburg then I understand.  I was just wondering why players come from out of state to play at FSC from other schools.  Don't get me wrong I'm glad that they did come because as TECK said their defense is one of the best.  I'm looking forward to a good game but have to go with Fitchburg winning - 28 - 21.  See you there....

63Center

Congrats to Curry for winning their 3rd straight NEFC Championship.  It would be nice now if they could get the NEFC their first NCAA tournament win, but it is highly unlikely, since Curry will have to face the number 1 team in the East bracket.  Looking forward to the ECAC selections tomorrow.

63Center

I agree with HerbTuck89, in his postings regarding the recruits that go to FSC, I have never gotten the opinion that he was dissing anyone.  In most cases he was stating what he believed to be the facts based on the resarch he has done on a number of the players who transferred from D1 or D2 schools to FSC.  I believe it is a credit to the FSC coaching staff and school that these players select to go to FSC and have been successful.

bignefcfan15

To those that missed the NEFC Champ. shame on you! Great game. I think that the difference in the game was the 2nd half adjustments made by curry to really shut down FSC's run game. Kicking for FSC was a HUGE problem but the offense only put up 7 pts (7 from the D). Some key points I thought to the game:
-Cury's punt return for TD, really seemed to kill FSC's momentum.
-FSC's 4th quarter bomb caught and called back for the first holding of the game ???
-1st OT, excellent T.O. called by Curry as FSC was marching down the field and their defense looked to give up and was going to let up the game winning TD. This seemed to refocus the team and held FSC to an extra point field goal attempt (about the 4-5yds out) to win the game and missed.
-Last, FSC going for the field goal to win the game on 3rd down in OT1. Their kicker didn't make a fg all season, would have taken one shot in the endzone. But, I can see why FSC went for the field goal, with a fumbled snap or anyother miscue, could have reattempted it on 4th down. I'm sure that was the purpose/thinking.
Anyway, a great game. Good sportsmanship by both teams. Wasn't to impressed with Curry fans that were yelling racial slurs at FSC players after the game. Finally, I dont see Curry getting the first "W" for the NEFC in the win colum. Deleware Valley seems like a top notch program, good luck to them anyway. Hopefully FSC can rebound from this tough loss and play a strong game if called to an ECAC game.-Cheers

63Center

I find it interesting that two holding calls at critical points in two big games for Curry resulted in saving Curry from losing two games.  In the EC game, EC appeared to have scored a go ahead TD with less than a minute in the game when holding was called.  That TD could have resulted in EC winning the Boyd instead of Curry.  Then Sat. in the NEFC Championship, the first holding call of the game is called after a successful bomb for FSC.  Holding could be called on every play in every game at every level, but it sure appears that the officials are eagar to throw a flag when things are going against Curry.  It is hard to believe that there was no holding in the game until that big play in the 4th quarter.

I don't think the officials will be able to save Curry against Deleware Valley in the NCAA.  I look for a 50-7 blow-out.

bignefcfan15

That holding call was a little fishy, anyways, ECAC's are up (from ECAC.com):

2005 ECAC Division III Northeast Northeast Bowl Championship
                 Bridgewater St. at Fitchburg St.
                            November 19 - noon.
2005 ECAC Division III North Atlantic Football Bowl Championship
                         Maine Maritime at Alfred
                           November 19 - Noon

63Center

Its too bad the ECAC chose Maine Maritime instead of EC. It would have been interesting to rematch with Fitchburg.  Maine Mar did have a higher Quality of Win rating than EC and played in the tougher division.  My picks for the NEFC games in the ECAC are:

BSC 21 @ FSC 28

Maine Mar 14 @ Alfred 30

Good luck to all of the NEFC teams playing this weekend.  Represent the NEFC well.

AUPepBand

Anyone from the NEFC....tell me about Maine Maritime. What are the team's strengths? weaknesses?
They will have an 11.5 hour bus drive to Alfred, a one traffic light town in the foothills of the Allegheny Mountains.

GO SAXONS!
On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

bignefcfan15

ME Maritime has a good offense, option team, big powerful back. Defense is ok. I don't think they will have any problems with the bus drive, they travel and sleep over most road trips around the NEFC.

fanfriendly

My picks for the ECAC games

Fichburg 14 vs Bridgewater 35

Maine Maritime 7 vs Alfed 42

Moose50

I was also atthe Curry/FSC game and ound it to be one ofthe best D3 games I have ever seen.  Many positive comments from the true "fans" in the stands about how competitive the game was and how both teams expresssed good sportsmanship afterward.  I too heard and saw the racial slurs slurs that were directed at the FSC players after the game.  To the players credit they kept their composure and walked away even after being challanged by the fans that were directly opposite the Curry "Touch Down Club" end zone.  What atrocious behavior exhibited by these drunks who seemingly had free reign to do or say whatever they pleased even with the Curry "police" standing there.  I watched as the only "officer", a female walked away and never returned.  The FSC fans had to walk through that area as well and many were subject to the same behavior.   I think that Coach Nelson, as the AD, has to reign in this type of behavior or from what was witnessed, it will get out of hand some day and the only people to blame will be the Curry administration for letting it go.

Too bad Coach Haverty doesn't get coach of the year but, once again, it's all about
politics. 

Is the ECAC bowl game @ FSC or B'Water.  Both major papers have it in different sites.  Either way, FSC 24 / BSC 21, the kicker doesn't miss this time.