MBB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Oxy'03SalemPavers, March 10, 2005, 12:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D O.C.

OB.... Any dual athletes on that team - like playing on the football team as well?

OxyBob

Oxy is off to a good start.  They got their first conference win at La Verne on Dec. 5, beating the Leopards 77-73. Oxy had a comfortable 43-31 halftime lead, but ULV fought back and tied the game at 62 with 7 minutes left. The Tigers were 8-for-8 FTs in the last 4 minutes, and escaped with a road win.

Oxy (7-0, 1-0 SCIAC) plays next at home against Whittier (2-6, 0-1) this Sunday at 4:00 p.m.

OxyBob

Gray Fox

Good for La Verne.  They are expected to be last in the SCIAC.
Fierce When Roused

Gosox

Oxy definitley looks good.  Played solid..Laverne made some young mistakes, which cost them a chance to win. Laverne is young and simply needs to gain experience...and there is only one way to do that.  Reed has some talent there that will take time to develop.  Oxy played much better the 2nd half.  Once #24 got some rythym going, he was solid around the bucket!  ULV frustrated him for most of the first half...... But as with all talented players, he made adjustments and found a way to get inside and get the foul line. Definitely a fun player to watch.  Has some real body control once he gets inside....if he starts getting the 3's to fall...look out...

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

We've entered the part of the season when teams are either off the court for an extended period of time or they are still practicing and playing occasional games leading up to a break around Christmas. It is an odd time of the season. You look away one night and forget there is a big game happening. You try and focus in another night only to realize there isn't much to watch (if anything).

Some schools are still wrapping up finals as well!

These few weeks can also be challenging to teams. Staying fresh even though there could be up to a month between games. Staying focused, even though academics are a much higher priority that what's happening on the court. And staying healthy despite travel to different parts of the country or back home to be with family.

Thursday night on Hoopsville, Dave tries to work his way through the distractions to talk to a few teams all of which still have games this December and seem to be off to pretty good starts. We'll even hear from a student-athlete's perspective. How are finals, the holidays, and travel affecting these programs?

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. Thursday's episode will air live starting at 7:00 pm ET right here: http://bit.ly/2rA87rl (and via Facebook Live simulcast).

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com or use any of the social media options below.

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- Charles Katsiaficas, Pomona-Pitzer men's coach
- Ron Rohn, Muhlenberg women's coach
- Madison Temple, No. 4 Thomas More Senior guard
- Matt Lewis, No. 6 UW-Oshkosh men's interim coach

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts instead, you can get access to them or subscribe one of the three following ways (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

OxyBob

Quote from: OxyBob on December 11, 2018, 06:48:00 PM
Oxy (7-0, 1-0 SCIAC) plays next at home against Whittier (2-6, 0-1) this Sunday at 4:00 p.m.

Oxy 86 Whittier 72 Final

Easy win for Oxy. The Tigers led by 17 at halftime and by 23 with 9 minutes left.

Caleb Yellin-Flaherty 25-11, Austin DeWitz 19-10, Jacob Adler 18, Zach Baines 10-11.

Oxy (8-0, 2-0 SCIAC) plays next at home against Principia College (1-8) on Tuesday, December 18 at 7:00 p.m., and the Tigers play Pacific University (3-4) on Wednesday, December 19 at 7:00 p.m.

Whittier (2-7, 0-2 SCIAC) is home to Hanover College (6-3) on the 18th at 5:00 p.m.

OxyBob

OxyBob

Quote from: OxyBob on December 16, 2018, 09:00:57 PM
Oxy (8-0, 2-0 SCIAC) plays next at home against Principia College (1-8) on Tuesday, December 18 at 7:00 p.m.

Oxy 80 Principia 62 Final

Easy win for Oxy. The Tigers led 43-22 at halftime; largest lead was 25 with 17 minutes to go.

Zach Baines 29, Austin DeWitz 20, Jacob Adler 13-12.

Oxy (9-0, 2-0 SCIAC) is home tonight at 7:00 p.m. against Pacific University (4-4). The Boxers beat Redlands 98-93 this past Monday.

OxyBob

OxyBob

Quote from: OxyBob on December 19, 2018, 02:11:59 PM
Oxy (9-0, 2-0 SCIAC) is home tonight at 7:00 p.m. against Pacific University (4-4).

Oxy 112 Pacific 80 Final

Zach Baines set an Oxy school scoring record with 50 points. He made 22 of 26 shots and 6 of 8 FTs, plus a game-high 12 rebounds.

As for the game, Oxy rolled to its 10th straight win (12 straight overall counting 2 exhibition wins). The Tigers led 63-32 at halftime, and led by 39 with 10:30 to go. Oxy shot 77.6% from the floor on 45-for-58.

Zach Baines 50-12, Austin DeWitz 24,  Jonny Crosthwaite 13-10, Jacob Adler 9-6-8.

Next up for Oxy (10-0, 2-0 SCIAC) is UC Santa Cruz at home on Dec. 28 at 7:00 p.m.

OxyBob

Gosox

I have enjoyed seeing Oxy Bobs reports now since 2009...Happy to see his boys are having a year!  Enjoy my friend!  Hope you have some terrific Holidays as well!!!God Bless...

OxyBob

Quote from: Gosox on December 21, 2018, 10:57:12 AM
I have enjoyed seeing Oxy Bobs reports now since 2009...Happy to see his boys are having a year!  Enjoy my friend!  Hope you have some terrific Holidays as well!!!God Bless...

Thanks GS. I hope Rich Reed and ULV can get it going this season.

No shocker: Claremont and Pomona -- Scali and Kat -- are the teams to beat. Lots of depth.

FYI to SCIAC fans: Great opportunity to see high quality D-III teams in the Cal Lutheran Holiday Classic on Dec. 28-29. Joining CLU will be Whitman (ranked No. 4 in D3hoops Top 25), UW-Stevens Point (ranked No. 12), and Illinois Wesleyan (previously ranked No. 15). On Dec. 28, CLU plays UWSP and Whitman plays IWU. The next night CLU plays Whitman and UWSP plays IWU. Well worth a drive to Thousand Oaks.

OxyBob

D O.C.

greg21grimm

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on January 10, 2018, 01:38:24 PM
It usually takes more than half a season to figure out if a coach was the right or wrong decision. Let's see where things go further than two months into the season. This isn't professional sports. It isn't even high-end DI.
Well, I think we have our answer. 9-15 record last year (worst in 25 years) with 7 returners, 5 with starting experience. And now a 2-5 record to start this season. The next two games dont look to promising either.

OxyBob

Quote from: greg21grimm on December 23, 2018, 12:08:45 PM
Well, I think we have our answer. 9-15 record last year (worst in 25 years) with 7 returners, 5 with starting experience. And now a 2-5 record to start this season. The next two games dont look to promising either.

Should have kept Geoff Dains and Bob Massell after RR retired.

OxyBob

greg21grimm

Quote from: OxyBob on December 26, 2018, 04:13:37 PM
Quote from: greg21grimm on December 23, 2018, 12:08:45 PM

Should have kept Geoff Dains and Bob Massell after RR retired.

OxyBob

Massell recruited me, and they both coached me during my 4 years there @ CLU. Had a chance to stop by and watch them against Lewis and Clark and it was very disappointing. Really seems the direction of Kingsmen basketball is not a positive one.

Gosox

Have to agree with Oxy Bob....they should have never let Dains and Rider get away...seems like it was a "Friend" hire there...but only an opinon...definitely gotten away from thier winning ways and develpment for sure though...have to agree...a once competitive program too...