FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polbear73

While I agree with NESCAC1 about Williams looking so good today, Bowdoin looked absolutely horrible on both sides of the ball. Granted, Williams' play was responsible, but for all of the talk about a renovated Whittier Field, admissions leniency, and culture change, Bowdoin looked unprepared, out manned, and outcoached as well. There is absolutely nothing good to say about the Bowdoin football program right now as they have regressed. Hats off to Williams for rebuilding effectively; the gap between the two programs was obvious today and very telling since the programs started from similar points just a couple of years ago. I don't know if it's a Maine problem as an opener with Trinity is practically impossible for anyone and Bates was competitive with Amherst, but it certainly is a Bowdoin problem.

PolarCat

Quote from: nescac1 on September 15, 2018, 04:57:28 PM
Yeah, the Amherst-Bates stat that sticks out is six fumbles, three lost, by Amherst.  If you benefit from that, which is generally sort of flukey (although perhaps the Bates D forced some, having not seen the game I've no idea), and still lose by 12 at home, hard to get too excited.  But certainly Bates has to feel better right now than Colby or Bowdoin ...
Hey, an L is an L and only time will tell.  But if we are going to say Amherst lost a disproportionate number of fumbles, let's also admit they got a huge lift from the roughing the punter call that set up their first TD.  I was watching the game online (though on a 60" HD screen) but P Atkeson did a masterful job "selling" the alleged contact to the refs.

Frankly, I was surprised the Bobcat D looked as solid as it did, given their star safety was injured and not on the field.  Hopefully he will be back soon.

PolarCat

Quote from: polbear73 on September 15, 2018, 05:08:40 PM
While I agree with NESCAC1 about Williams looking so good today, Bowdoin looked absolutely horrible on both sides of the ball. Granted, Williams' play was responsible, but for all of the talk about a renovated Whittier Field, admissions leniency, and culture change, Bowdoin looked unprepared, out manned, and outcoached as well. There is absolutely nothing good to say about the Bowdoin football program right now as they have regressed.

If my math is correct (and it's always a challenge when I run out of fingers and toes to count on), JB Wells has been at the Polar Bear helm for 26 games.  His record is 2-24, and his last victory came against Colby on November 14th 2015, with a roster recruited by his predecessor. 

Contrast this to his much maligned predecessor, Dave Caputi.  In his last 26 games (many of those with his equally maligned son, Lt. Mack Caputi, USMC under center), Coach Caputi went 7-19.  Even the favorite whipping boy of this board, HCOF Aaron Kelton, went 7-19 in his last 26 NESCAC games.  (The less said about his subsequent record at Shorter, the better).  And even one particular board member's most-hated coach, Jonathan Michaeles, went 6-20 over his last 26 games.

Why does the HCOB (Head Coach of Owl Boiling) get a pass, when Caputi, Kelton and Michaeles - all with better records - got brickbats here?  Are the Polar Bear faithful (all 4 of them) convinced that Wells is a great coach and there are other factors at work in Brunswick holding him back?  Or is it time to admit that maybe, just maybe, the stuff that worked in the Commonwealth Coast Conference doesn't work in the NESCAC, and move on?

And now, I am going to go hide in my basement, because some former assistant coach - fueled by 7 Martini's - is going to come kick down my door and wag his p*nis at me for speaking my mind.

amh63

PolarCat....using a 60" TV heh to watch :). When you have it...flaunt!  I thought of going to my big screen but stuck with my large IPad....just plain lazy.
The Bates QB was playing well and running well early in the game but Amherst defense  adjusted in the 2nd half. 
Some observations both good and bad wrt to the LJs.  Amherst's running game improved as the game went on, especially the runs by the Amherst QB.  The Amherst passing game was not very effective.
Amherst had a DL lost early in the game...was carted off.  Seemed serious.  Big TB Hickey ran well and really wanted more carries.  Amherst was cautious with Hickey as he was playing hurt late last season.  The expected starting Amherst center was not seen by me in the game.  A very talented player...Puller was at center for Amherst.  Two of the 6 fumbles by Amherst were bad snaps to the Amherst QB.  The new center was the top FY lineman in Ma. He was hurt in the Hamilton game last
season. Bates played well on defense in the scoreless first half....but many of the big young linemen
for Bates was leaving the game in the 2nd half as Amherstis running game was the only offense it
seems in the 2nd half.
It should be noted that Amherst's defense was stopping Bates' running game as the game went on. Amherst could have gotten more points in the last few minutes but they let the clock run out.  The
game stats show the points I have pointed out. Bates played well in it's new offense but Amherst's
defense slowly started to shut it down.  Bate's QB's quick feet prevented a number of behind the line
losses.
It was a first game atmosphere with many first game jitters, IMO.  Both teams will play better later in the season.  Amherst needs to get it's passing game going.  It's special teams play need to
improve.  Amherst's needs to find a third WR.  The newest WR was not getting open and had a TO. 
Enough said.  Hope to see  an improved Amherst team next week....Hamilton is coming to Pratt Field.

frank uible

NED3Guy

In response to the Bowdoin coach discussion from above:

From the administrative standpoint: If you hire a guy away from a place where he (football) was very strongly supported, you're either a) planning to support him to that same level, b) knowingly not going to support him at the same level, but will not really evaluate him on his record, or c) didn't do your homework to find out how strongly his old program was supported, and expect him to be a miracle man.

From his standpoint, in order to leave a great situation where you were very supportive you'd need: a) assurances from new schools admim that you'd get support, b) assurances that winning would not be one of the evaluative methods of you job success, c) to have a giant ego and think you could work a miracle, or d) way more money than you had at previous gig.

I'm not sure what combination of these facts are true up at Bowdoin, but I've often wondered why JB took the job.

The same questions could be asked about Murray / Hamilton, but I do think the empire 8 (where Murray came from) was going though some big changes (letting the State schools in) during the last few years, so maybe staying at Alfred was less appealing because of that?

Or does it really just come down to quality of life at NESCAC schools that draws candidates?

polbear73

Quote from: NED3Guy on September 15, 2018, 10:47:57 PM
In response to the Bowdoin coach discussion from above:

From the administrative standpoint: If you hire a guy away from a place where he (football) was very strongly supported, you're either a) planning to support him to that same level, b) knowingly not going to support him at the same level, but will not really evaluate him on his record, or c) didn't do your homework to find out how strongly his old program was supported, and expect him to be a miracle man.

From his standpoint, in order to leave a great situation where you were very supportive you'd need: a) assurances from new schools admim that you'd get support, b) assurances that winning would not be one of the evaluative methods of you job success, c) to have a giant ego and think you could work a miracle, or d) way more money than you had at previous gig.

I'm not sure what combination of these facts are true up at Bowdoin, but I've often wondered why JB took the job.

The same questions could be asked about Murray / Hamilton, but I do think the empire 8 (where Murray came from) was going though some big changes (letting the State schools in) during the last few years, so maybe staying at Alfred was less appealing because of that?

Or does it really just come down to quality of life at NESCAC schools that draws candidates?
Bowdoin had approximately 120 candidates for its head coaching job, from which 3 finalists emerged: an Ivy assistant, Coach Wells, and a head coach from an academically strong southern D3 school. Bowdoin couldn't come to terms with the Ivy assistant, but enticed Coach Wells with promises to upgrade the football facilities, employ a full staff of assistants, and make certain accommodations in Admissions. The latter promise has been offered in the past and always is the subject of conflict.

There is always strong interest in a NESCAC head job, even one known as "the place where coaching careers go to die" because 1. You're coaching the cream of the student athlete crop, 2. Have the ability to recruit on a nation wide basis, 3. The prestige associated with the high academic standing of a NESCAC school along with the athletic accomplishments of Conference members, 4. The compensation is greater than most D3 programs, and 5. The quality of life connected to a NESCAC campus and surrounding communities ( despite NESCACMAN's assertion, mid coast Maine is a wonderful place to live with a climate no colder than that of Burlington or Williamstown and some believe to be more moderate).

Coach Wells came to Bowdoin with a sincere belief that he could turn the program around (every coach worth his salt does) and my guess is that he accomplished so much at Endicott that he was ready for a new challenge. There is no denying that he has brought a new energy to the program and all signs are that he has upgraded recruiting, the "performance" yesterday notwithstanding.

In my opinion, Bowdoin's football problem is institutional as the administration has done nothing to change the appearance that they believe intercollegiate athletics are nothing more than an extracurricular activity and football, specifically, is a necessary evil. The faculty has been vocally anti " helmet" sports and both the Administration and Admissions seem to hear them. The result is that mediocrity has seeped into all sports at Bowdoin (with the notable exception of tennis and women's basketball) and haplessness to football. Yes, Bowdoin does admit some very good talent to the football program, but not enough as depth has always been a problem.

There are more than four supporters of the Bowdoin football program and there is an influential supportive presence on the Board. However, an 18 game losing streak during which competiveness has been rare with little sign of progress  is beginning to erode that support with the sense of futility.

As a football alumnus, I feel for the players as they have tried to perform to the best of their ability. Playing losing football is not fun and I give them a ton of credit for coming back week after week to try to improve. I never thought I'd say this, but unless the College is prepared to do what is necessary to reach competitiveness in a conference that they helped found,  then they ought to drop the program, one that has been around for 127 years. It would change the character of the College, and not for the better, but performances like yesterday, and those of the past three years, do nobody any good.

NBC93

Amherst had some interesting position changes to increase the size of the RB corps. To complement primary runner Jack Hickey, 6'1", 220, they moved Chase Trunnell, 6'1" 205, from TE to the backefield and also switched David Perdoni, 6'2" 225 from Buck to the backfield. In the second half of the Bates game, the major change i saw was that all three of these sizable guys were in the backfield at the same time and all three cut through the first line of defense or simply carried defenders for 4 yards. Hickey is a fast moving load and these other two were no slouches when given the ball or blocking for HIckey. Good decisions from coaches to increase the power run game with positional changes earlier in the pre-season and good in-game adjustment to make it work. From what i have seen on rosters around the conference, this is a huge size advantage for Amherst. It will be fun to see how it plays out during the season.
Amherst does need to get a third receiver to make plays consistently as AMH63 mentioned, but yesterday even perennial stars Berluti and O'Regan missed some balls that should have been caught which ended some drives.
Bates definitely seems to be moving in the right direction on both sides of the ball, especially if they get their injured starters back and the Air Raid completes passes at a higher percentage. However, the final score didn't quite reflect what could have been a much more lopsided affair.

PolarCat

Quote from: polbear73 on September 16, 2018, 08:30:53 AM
The result is that mediocrity has seeped into all sports at Bowdoin (with the notable exception of tennis and women's basketball) and haplessness to football.

polbear73, I feel your pain.  And I agree with much of what you said: anyone who thinks Brunswick isn't a fantastic place to attend college or raise a family has never spent an afternoon at Bailey Island ...  had brunch at Mae's ... made a day trip to Sunday River ... or made the short drive to Portland to sample one of the scores of excellent restaurants, 30 minutes from campus.  Brunswick far eclipses Lewiston, Waterville, Clinton and Willytown in those regards.  (Let's not even start on Fort Apache in Hartford).  And my comment about 4 supporters was made in jest.  I know there are more of you, and that you all stepped up with your checkbooks.

But AD Tim Ryan has got a bunch of very competitive programs.  You omitted Field Hockey (perennial finalists in the NCAA tournament), Women's Lacrosse (made it to the NCAA's in 2 of my daughter's 4 years), Sailing (great success both regionally and nationally) and Rugby.  Though not powerhouses, Women's Ice Hockey, Men's Lacrosse, Baseball, Softball, Men's and Women's Soccer, Volleyball, Alpine Skiing, Nordic Skiing and Swimming & Diving are all at least respectable.  True, Men's Ice Hockey has struggled the past two seasons, but they've still won a third of their games.

Why is Football the least competitive team on campus?  The whole reason for my post was to note that, at any other NESCAC (and even at Bowdoin 5 years ago), fingers would be pointed at the head coach, and we'd have cries of "Off with his head!"  I'm just puzzled that Wells seems immune from that.  I have no beef with the man (I've never met him, and he didn't keep my boy on the bench when I thought my kid was more talented than the starter), I just don't understand why Caputi was ridden out of town on a rail and Wells gets a pass.

polbear73

PC-I stand corrected about the other sports on campus being competitive or better and I loved watching your daughter and her teams competing in lacrosse.  Probably the frustration talking more than anything else.  Add Men's basketball to the more than respectable list too.

I have no idea why Coach Wells has been immune, particularly since Dave Caputi was burned at the stake-somewhat unjustly, in my opinion.  This is Wells' third recruiting class and there is no sign of progress.  Maybe being uncompetitive has been accepted as the norm. 

amh63

NBC93....nice points!  Plus K.   Did see some new blood in the backfield.  The game between Midd and Wes surprised.  We have very few Midd posters here wrt football.  Was checking on the status of some battles between Amherst and Midd occurring in the Green Mountain State during the football game. The highly ranked Amherst teams all took loses.  Actually watched some DI football.  Surprises wrt pre season rankings and chatter continue.  Nature of the game.
polbear73....take heart!  Bowdoin must NOT follow the path of Swarthmore.  Amherst football had a "bad" period towards the end of the Darp era.  Amherst hired an alum, one of its own, and it was a disaster.  Amherst brought in another coach and his staff and the program turned around.  That HFC went on to be the Yale HFC.  When he was let go by Yale, the coach became an assistant to Whalen at Wesleyan.  I saw both former HFCs recently at an Amherst soccer game and chatted with both of them....yes I like to chat.  It was at the last Amherst-Wesleyan Homecoming game.  For the record, Amherst won both the soccer and football game that day :)

lumbercat

One Amherst guy that really impressed me yesterday was Hickey. It's no secret that he is one one of the very best backs in the conference but he's even better than I thought. A big guy who gets low and has that great forward lean where he always always gets another yard or two.... and sometimes more before going down.
He's as good as Ive seen in the NESCAC- genuine stud who could easily play at higher level.

Ironically his old man was a great RB at Bates in the 1980"s- you'll see his name prominently in the Bates record book. Bates recruited him very hard but his decision to attend Amherst speaks to the elite level of Amherst. Along with Williams, Amherst is at that elite national level. They recruit hard but at the end of the day it's not so much the kids they choose to recruit as much as it is a case of the recruits choosing them.

Back in the day I forget if it was Farley at Williams or Ostendarp at Amherst said the following when asked about his recruiting strategies:
"I just try to make sure I'm in my office when the kids call"

I got to Garcelon early on Saturday and spent some time watching the whole Amherst pregame- very structured, organized, precise....Coaches and players seem extremely focused. Basically a total class operation top to bottom. All the little things in place, an arsenal. Again confirming my opinion of Mills as a total class act and the best coach in the league.

frank uible

Adam Walsh won a NFL championship but was only 63-67-9 at Bowdoin.

polbear73

amh63

Here goes...several stories about some legendary coaches in what is now the Nescac. 
The first one is Don Miller of Trinity.  Don was an all-American QB for the Blue Hens of Un. Of Delaware and was quite familiar with the Wing T offense....developed by his head coach, I believe.  Don joined the staff of the Darp when I was at Amherst.  I had seen a HS arch rival play the Single Wing offense and the Splt T offense by other opponents....including a game in Lebanon, Pa who had Dick Shiner at QB....went on to play for the U.  Of Md, make All-American and entered the NFL.  Being curious about things, I would chat with the young assistant at times.  Don left in 1967 to go to Trinity and his HFC days set record wins and got his name on the Trinity football field.
Second story is about Dick Farley, the now retired HFC of Williams who also has his name associated with the new Williams field.  My first encounter was in Williamstown in the warm days of the Berkshire's.  I was up on a business trip in Pittsfield, Ma.....GE, etc.  I went up to look at the then new athletic facilities at Williams and check on something.  Anyway, got in via an open door and wandered into the football offices.  Dick Farley greeted me with a smile and asked what I wanted.  I told him I wanted to get to the swimming pool area and also the basketball area.   Dick gave me some directions that was to me a bit complicated.seeing my puzzlement, he explained that the directions were those given to possible football recruits.  If those "recruits" got lost then he knew they would not be admitted by Williams.  Dick then asked me if I had any college age sons.  I answered in the affirmative but added that both were presently at Amherst.  I also informed him with a smile that I was an Amherst alum.  Dick turned to his assistants that shared the office and stated that he had provided info to the "enemy"....followed by laughter.  We shook hands.  My younger son has a classsmate/friend form Md. that had set a swimming record in the Williams pool.  I wanted to find out what the record was.   My last chat with Dick was at the last Williams-Amherst Homecoming game..two years ago.  Dick Farley was sitting with a Williams alum..class of '61...on the 'sunny side" seats in the Nov. time frame. In the new Pratt Field stands, the sunny and warmer side is NOW the Amherst stands. :)