2016 NCAA Tournament

Started by Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan), February 26, 2016, 08:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

Augustana's winning in a romp. I've seen Will Trawick play several times (both live and online), and I respect his game, but don't think that he would've made a difference in the outcome if he'd played tonight for Emory.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

magicman

Augie wins a game that was never in doubt 88-65 over Emory

Augie6

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 11, 2016, 10:23:43 PM
Augustana's winning in a romp. I've seen Will Trawick play several times (both live and online), and I respect his game, but don't think that he would've made a difference in the outcome if he'd played tonight for Emory.

Absolutely agree.  Augie played very well tonight.  56% FG shooting, 62% from the 3 pt line (13-21) and out rebounded Emory 16. 
Augie Football:  CCIW Champions:  1949-66-68-75-81-82-83-84-85-86-87-88-90-91-93-94-97-99-01-05-06     NCAA Champions:  1983-84-85-86

pg04

There may be no beating Augustana. Now I jinxed them.

Gregory Sager

St. Thomas has looked really solid. I would not count out the Tommies prematurely.

I expect a really good game in Rock Island tomorrow night.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

pg04

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 11, 2016, 10:43:44 PM
St. Thomas has looked really solid. I would not count out the Tommies prematurely.

I expect a really good game in Rock Island tomorrow night.

I lost where everyone was in the bracket. You're right, that game was a rout too.

Mr. Ypsi

Alma @ Benedictine tomorrow, and I guess I'll be a neutral observer.  It is truly Cinderella vs. Cinderella.  Traditionally Alma is a fairly bad team in a so-so (aside from Hope and Calvin, and sometimes Albion) MIAA.  Traditionally Benedictine is a so-so team in a very bad (4-26 entering this year in the tourney) NACC conference.  Both are having their best years ever (especially Benedictine); between them they went 8-1 against the CCIW.  I grew up in Illinois, and IWU plays Benedictine pretty much every year in non-con.  On the other hand, I've now lived more than 2/3rds of my life in Michigan (and have been to Alma a few times; never been to Lisle).

I generally root for David over Goliath (except, of course, if IWU is 'Goliath' ;)), but am unsure what to do when David faces David and I have no other personal ties?  Thus my neutrality.

WUPHF

Easy to say when the opponents shoot so well, but Trawick is a senior leader who can take over a game.  Certainly went to work in the one game you would have watched live.  Big, big loss for Emory.

sac

Quote from: pg04 on March 11, 2016, 09:06:32 PM
As Alice in Chains would say,

Yeaaaah here comes the Wooster, Yeeeeah.  ;D

I wonder how many I lost with this reference.

Probably as many as when I say I think of The Wooster Fighting Scots as more of an AC/DC  "It's a long way to the top" kind of school 

...and I don't mean that as a reference to the fact they've never won the title.  :) ;)

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 11, 2016, 10:45:35 PMTraditionally Benedictine is a so-so team in a very bad (4-26 entering this year in the tourney) NACC conference.

The NACC was 1-9 in D3 tourney play entering this season. Nine of the eleven members of the NACC that have men's basketball have made D3 tourney appearances, and they had gone a combined 4-27 in D3 tourney play prior to 2016, with most of their appearances accrued when they were members of the NACC's two predecessor leagues, the NIIC and the LMC.

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 11, 2016, 10:45:35 PMBoth are having their best years ever (especially Benedictine);

While BU has certainly never gone 29-0 before, or anything like it, it needs to be pointed out that this is not the first time that the Bennies have gotten this far in the dance. They reached the Elite Eight in the 1991 tourney before being crushed by eventual national champion UW-Platteville.

Quote from: WUH on March 11, 2016, 10:49:52 PM

Easy to say when the opponents shoot so well, but Trawick is a senior leader who can take over a game.  Certainly went to work in the one game you would have watched live.  Big, big loss for Emory.

I agree that Trawick's DNP due to concussion was a big loss for Emory, but, nevertheless, I feel pretty strongly that even if the Eagles had been at full strength, Augie's just plain better than Emory.

John Gleich

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 11, 2016, 11:19:54 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 11, 2016, 10:45:35 PMTraditionally Benedictine is a so-so team in a very bad (4-26 entering this year in the tourney) NACC conference.

The NACC was 1-9 in D3 tourney play entering this season. Nine of the eleven members of the NACC that have men's basketball have made D3 tourney appearances, and they had gone a combined 4-27 in D3 tourney play prior to 2016, with most of their appearances accrued when they were members of the NACC's two predecessor leagues, the NIIC and the LMC.

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 11, 2016, 10:45:35 PMBoth are having their best years ever (especially Benedictine);

While BU has certainly never gone 29-0 before, or anything like it, it needs to be pointed out that this is not the first time that the Bennies have gotten this far in the dance. They reached the Elite Eight in the 1991 tourney before being crushed by eventual national champion UW-Platteville.

This year's Benedictine team broke a 50 year old record for wins to start a season. My dad played on that team, which started the year out 16-0. They made the NCAA tournament that year too and lost in the first game of the regional. There was some guy named Phil Jackson playing for Univ of North Dakota that year too.
UWSP Men's Basketball

National Champions: 2015, 2010, 2005, 2004

NCAA appearances: 2018, '15, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Twitter: @JohnGleich

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

If I'm ranking the remaining team on both actual talent and ability to win the whole thing, I think I'd go:

1. Benedictine
2. Augustana
3. St Thomas (because they have to play Augie and vice versa)
4. Alma
5. CNU
6. Tufts
7. Amherst
8. Wooster

I don't see any of the teams in the lower half of the bracket beating any of the teams on the top half of their side.  Of course, anything can happen in Salem, for sure, but it seems like the best teams remaining are at the top.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

pg04

Awww the video feed doesn't say "The Wooster" tonight. I wonder if they saw all the complaining we did last night.  ;D