MBB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by miac newbie, February 17, 2005, 03:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SagatagSam

Quote from: Retired Old Rat on March 06, 2022, 10:27:48 PM
When Jim Smith started out at St. John's there were far fewer national tournament slots. 32 at most. And it was only NAIA, which I think included all teams that would be D2 and D3.

This is a good point. I couldn't find any archives that would tell me what the NAIA tournament looked like back in the 1960s and 70s.
Sing us a song, you're the piano man
Sing us a song tonight
Well, we're all in the mood for a melody
And you've got us feelin' alright.

Baldini

Quote from: SagatagSam on March 07, 2022, 09:39:22 AM
When Jim Smith started out at St. John's there were far fewer national tournament slots. 32 at most. And it was only NAIA, which I think included all teams that would be D2 and D3.

This is a good point. I couldn't find any archives that would tell me what the NAIA tournament looked like back in the 1960s and 70s.

32 teams, all played in Kansas City. 

WUPHF

I believe that was all teams that had an NAIA membership and chose to participate.

Greek Tragedy

It was a cool tournament to go to. I went 3 times when Stevens Point was NAIA. Played at Kemper Arena.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Baldini

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 07, 2022, 03:17:55 PM
It was a cool tournament to go to. I went 3 times when Stevens Point was NAIA. Played at Kemper Arena.

They had their big chance in '84, just never seemed to be able to get control of that game. An absolute rock fight of a final though. 

SagatagSam

I just saw they did a huge renovation to Kemper (now Hy-Vee Arena) in 2017-18, got rid of the old arena and turned it into a multi-level complex.
Sing us a song tonight

hazzben

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 07, 2022, 03:17:55 PM

The old NAIA tournament at Kemper Arena was exceptional. It was a classic venue, and probably the most competitive small college basketball tournaments ever held, since the pool of teams/talent was so large.

If you ever get the chance, the College Basketball Experience in KC is a really cool setup as well. Very interactive, and gives a great in depth look at the history of college basketball, at all levels.

SagatagSam

While SJU's performance in the Tournament this year was disappointing, talk about the gut punch to all the WIAC schools. UWL, UWP, and UWO all got beat, and UWO was a team that was on everyone's radar to be in the Final Four if not win the whole thing.
Sing us a song tonight

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: SagatagSam on March 10, 2022, 10:14:50 AM
While SJU's performance in the Tournament this year was disappointing, talk about the gut punch to all the WIAC schools. UWL, UWP, and UWO all got beat, and UWO was a team that was on everyone's radar to be in the Final Four if not win the whole thing.

While all 3 CCIW teams advanced...and 3 of 4 UAA teams didn't make the 2nd weekend (Wash U and Emory were hosts).
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

SagatagSam

Sing us a song tonight

Greek Tragedy

What's the outlook for next season? Is it St. John's until the MIAC kicks them out or is someone else stepping up to the plate?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

SagatagSam

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 27, 2022, 09:47:48 AM
What's the outlook for next season? Is it St. John's until the MIAC kicks them out or is someone else stepping up to the plate?

While I think SJU is definitely situated to be very good again next year, Augsburg, who is bringing back MIAC player of the year Joe Palmer, is going to be very good as well.
Sing us a song tonight

Greek Tragedy

Thanks. Do you know if any seniors on any yes are coming back? St. John's has Hanson and Codute listed as seniors, while Augsburg has 3 of their top 6 as seniors, Carol, Knoepfel and Schmidt.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

SagatagSam

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 29, 2022, 10:46:48 AM
Thanks. Do you know if any seniors on any yes are coming back? St. John's has Hanson and Codute listed as seniors, while Augsburg has 3 of their top 6 as seniors, Carol, Knoepfel and Schmidt.

I would suspect that none of the seniors with their COVID eligibility are going to come back, but I've been wrong about that before. It's so much more of a commitment for basketball because the player has to come back for two full semesters in order to play (as compared to only one semester for a sport like football).
Sing us a song tonight

bball1122

A little birdy told me that MIAC Player of the Year, Augsburg's Joe Palmer,  is transferring to D1 Colorado State.