FB: American Southwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crufootball

Quote from: TLU02SA on May 17, 2022, 05:14:04 PM
I guess the rules can change and make 7 the number for AQs but why is everyone on this board so certain that will happen?  The change to 6 occurred just a few months ago.  It has not even been implemented yet.  To assume enough D3 conferences/schools have changed their position in just a few months seems ill-conceived to me.

It may be ill-conceived but it has been brought up by Pat and the other D3 gurus as well as some D3 admin gurus that Dave McHugh interviewed so it at least seems possible.

None of this really matters until 2024 when Centenary is supposed to have a football team and even then the current SCAC would only have 5 football playing members. After that to get to 6, they either convince someone to become a full member, get an affiliate member and wait 2 years to get their bid or hope they get Lyon College who won't be eligible until 2025 or 2026. 

I hope the rule doesn't last personally, I hate the one size fits all approach they took, but mainly I hope it doesn't last because it would seem that it has already shown we are going to get more 6 team conferences and have no at large bids to the playoffs which would really suck some of the wind out of the playoff we all like to brag we have in D3.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Pat Coleman on May 17, 2022, 11:02:38 PM
But SLIAC football on its own, not enough for an AQ.
But the UMAC might not mind another affiliate.   ;)

Lyons College to Sul Ross State = 905 miles
Lyons College to Minnesota Morris = 898 miles.

crufootball

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 18, 2022, 01:47:47 AM

Does Lyons meet the academic profile of the SAA?

Pat Coleman

Lyon to Finlandia, 940 miles.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: crufootball on May 18, 2022, 10:34:12 AM

Lyon College to Sul Ross State = 905 miles
Lyon College to Minnesota Morris = 898 miles.

I don't think so.

When I think of the SAA, I think of   www.acsouth.edu

(And duh, Ralph, there is no "s" on Lyon, unlike Lyons Colorado.)

crufootball

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 18, 2022, 01:38:12 PM
Quote from: crufootball on May 18, 2022, 10:34:12 AM

Lyon College to Sul Ross State = 905 miles
Lyon College to Minnesota Morris = 898 miles.

I don't think so.

When I think of the SAA, I think of   www.acsouth.edu

(And duh, Ralph, there is no "s" on Lyon, unlike Lyons Colorado.)

Which is interesting because Centenary is a part of the ACS but Ron seems confident will not get the invite.

Ron Boerger

Hey, Ron's been wrong before.  I think there are two other factors besides academics:

1.  After SW affiliates the SAA will be back to nine members which is as large as it's ever been.  Not sure the Berrys, BSCs, Centres, and Trinitys would be happy with only one non-conference warmup before starting conference play, especially as often as two contenders face off early in the season.
2.  I haven't run the numbers but it seems travel for Centenary would be worse going to the SAA than the ASC (yes, I know *cough* *cough* Sul Ross *cough* *cough*).  It also would be worse for a number of the SAA core who will again face an annual trip to TX when SW arrives.

Unspoken is
3.  With the scarcity of non-conference opponents the ASC needs another football team (after SW departs) more than the SAA does and may be more highly engaged in pursuing new members.

Etchglow

Quote from: Ron Boerger on May 18, 2022, 04:53:43 PM
Hey, Ron's been wrong before.  I think there are two other factors besides academics:

1.  After SW affiliates the SAA will be back to nine members which is as large as it's ever been.  Not sure the Berrys, BSCs, Centres, and Trinitys would be happy with only one non-conference warmup before starting conference play, especially as often as two contenders face off early in the season.
2.  I haven't run the numbers but it seems travel for Centenary would be worse going to the SAA than the ASC (yes, I know *cough* *cough* Sul Ross *cough* *cough*).  It also would be worse for a number of the SAA core who will again face an annual trip to TX when SW arrives.

Unspoken is
3.  With the scarcity of non-conference opponents the ASC needs another football team (after SW departs) more than the SAA does and may be more highly engaged in pursuing new members.

Just plugged it in, looks like average from Centenary to ASC is ~348 miles while Centenary to SAA is ~442.  If I plugged things in right, Centre is actually 66 miles further from Centenary than Sul ross is (688 vs 754). 

For the ASC it looks like furthest is 688 (Sul Ross), closest is 43 (ETBU) with the rest being 245-381 miles away.  For the SAA the closest is 224 (Millsaps) and furthest is 754 (Centre) with the remainder being spread in the 240-629 range.  Another interesting note, according to the NCAA website Trinity and Birmingham-Southern are the same distance away from Centenary at 451 miles. 

crufootball

Quote from: Etchglow on May 18, 2022, 05:28:39 PM
Quote from: Ron Boerger on May 18, 2022, 04:53:43 PM

Unspoken is

Just plugged it in, looks like average from Centenary to ASC is ~348 miles while Centenary to SAA is ~442.  If I plugged things in right, Centre is actually 66 miles further from Centenary than Sul ross is (688 vs 754). 

For the ASC it looks like furthest is 688 (Sul Ross), closest is 43 (ETBU) with the rest being 245-381 miles away.  For the SAA the closest is 224 (Millsaps) and furthest is 754 (Centre) with the remainder being spread in the 240-629 range.  Another interesting note, according to the NCAA website Trinity and Birmingham-Southern are the same distance away from Centenary at 451 miles.

Couldn't help myself so I had to look at the drives for Lyon

To the ASC, the average drive would be 573 miles, the shortest drives being to ETBU (309 miles) and Austin College (391 miles)  and the furthest being SRS at 905 miles. Sul Ross does add to the average but they just aren't real close to anyone. Oddly if Centenary is in the ASC they would join ETBU as they too are also 309 miles away.

To the SAA, the average drive would be 392 miles, the shortest drives would be Hendrix (97 miles) and Rhodes (122 miles) with the furthest drive being Trinity at 684 miles.

To put this in perspective Sul Ross average 430 miles per road trip.

Ralph Turner

The ASC needs another football school, so Lyon fills the bill and UOzarks gets a travel partner.

Etchglow