FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpringSt7

I can't speak for other schools but Maud Mandel (President) does a pretty good job of getting out to Williams football games and interacting with the crowd. It's clearly not her forte but it's cool to see the effort put in. Lisa Mellendy is the AD who seems to do a fine job but one of the criticisms I've heard for her is that she isn't terribly available to the athletes and doesn't have much of a relationship with them. Additionally, attending events such as conference championships and NCAA tournament games that require travel does not seem to be something she has much interest in, which quite frankly I find odd. 

WesCardPlayer

I think the average NESCAC president attends at least a smattering of athletic events (though there's a wide range for sure). Michael Roth at Wesleyan goes to quite a few games of various sports and often mentions athletic successes on his blog.

lumbercat

Not sure I was clear in my comments regarding Bates. I was referring to the Dean of Student Life. The AD reports directly to him and he essentially oversees the entire Athletic Department unlike other NESCAC institutions where the AD reports directly to the President. The Dean has not been sighted at Football games or other Athletic events which is puzzling to most at Bates.

Over the years President Spencer has attended many events. Early in her tenure she traveled down to Bowdoin for the Football game that year. She was a semi regular at Football home games though her presence has been much less frequent in recent years.

To my knowledge 2 of most enthusiastic Football supporters are the Presidents at Colby and Wesleyan. Not to say there are not Presidents at other NESCAC schools who are also strong supporters of Football as well.

RollConts18

President Whitman at Hamilton goes to every home game. Big supporter of their program. HCOF Murray is also very involved with other aspects of the school, so it goes both ways.

nescac1

Noontime's first pre-season poll goes Trinity, Wesleyan, Tufts, Amherst, Williams, Colby.  I know the Maimaron in particular is a huge loss, but still, not much respect for Williams coming off a 9-0 season, with nearly 30 seniors, including 17 seniors who have been starters at some point in their career ... I guess we shall see!

https://noontimesports.com/2022/06/28/noontimes-way-too-early-new-england-d-iii-football-top-20-poll/

LochNescac

Polls....!!!   Finally....Now we're talkin' :)

Pat Coleman

I know that ranking is called a poll, but there isn't any evidence of other voters.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Scoops

I'm fairly sure Noontime doesn't actually poll anyone. I've met the writer for the site, and I think it is largely just his opinion. He is heavily tied in to coaches in the New England area though, so I'm guessing he has some good inside info to make his rankings.

Former CAC Coach

Quote from: jumpshot on June 23, 2022, 04:14:56 PM
The reality is that NESCAC schools are continuously in a capital campaign (silent phase, major gifts, etc.). There is currently intense pressure on amHerst to follow Williams's lead in converting all financial aid into grants, which the mammoths will undoubtedly do.  Dartmouth announced a slightly modified action earlier this week. A few other small liberal arts colleges will also follow for competitive factors, as well as to enhance culture.

Jumpshot -  ....it's about time the Ephs did this........Amherst has led the way doing just that since 2009 :   https://www.amherst.edu/news/news_releases/2007/07_2007/node/14307

nescac1

I think the difference in the Williams program is no more work-study contributions are required, which goes well beyond the Amherst plan in its impact on fin aid students.  But Amherst has definitely been a leader in financial aid policies for over a decade now.  Considering the two schools have a combined 8 billion endowment (roughly) they certainly can both afford to be generous ...

jumpshot

Former CAC Coach ... of course nescac1 is correct regarding the the elimination of work-study contributions by students and numerous other hidden costs that elevates the Williams College game-changing approach far beyond the mammoth's current status. Please check your facts ... nice try.

LochNescac

Quote from: Pat Coleman on June 30, 2022, 10:43:45 AM
I know that ranking is called a poll, but there isn't any evidence of other voters.

Point taken.

Polls!!....(a very exclusive, very small sample size poll...or "ranking if you will.).    Finally...Now we're talkin'

I'm just an impatient type!!     

NESCACFball24/7

Was just told bowdoin will now play tufts in a night game giving the jumbos two night games this year including the one with Wesleyan.

Charlie

Quote from: NESCACFball24/7 on July 25, 2022, 01:58:45 PM
Was just told bowdoin will now play tufts in a night game giving the jumbos two night games this year including the one with Wesleyan.

Thats great there should be more night games !

I thought I would share these crazy facts. Going into last weekend

Bates           330 * Some are for this coming season and the balance for next season.
Middlebury   230
Tufts              5
Wesleyan      15

These have been the offers thrown out there by the respective schools. Spoke to football recruiter who said this years class is not loaded with great deal of talent and the emphasis appears to be quantity rather than quality.

I guess these teams are trying to make the jump up the ranks faster. My question is what is going to happen if these two front loaded schools if all the offers accept. Twitter has been tearing it up iwth these programs.

Anyone hear anything about roster limits and when they will be rolled back if at all ?

lumbercat

Lol Charlie is at it again- are you aware of this NESCACMAN? Really funny. Total fabrication. Keep the nonsense coming Charlie.