BB: LEC: Little East Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, February 11, 2006, 03:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ecfaninri

DGilblair, you're right about many of the "what ifs" for the 08 season. The Warriors won 30 plus games despite losing key pitchers, all-american CF in Randy Re, Matt Cooney behind the plate and several key injuries throughout the season. I think that returning players will need to focus this summer and off-season on building a solid base of those key elements which ended their season short of their goal- Appleton. Wojick, Fontaine, Kukucka, Montinari, and Newkirk were not really in the picture last year. But they all have to learn that giving up 2 out, 0-2 hits make for longer outings, more innings, and sometimes less confidence from the coaching staff. Healthy Shawn and possibly Tingley know the deal in Willimantic, losing is not an option. You're right, Jags has been worked on to return. Only time will tell.

The infield is returning, but the outfield will be a big question. Magliola was a big surprise stepping in after Cooney. Many key hits throughout the season. Solid attitude. Recruits and transfers cannot be even discussed until they get on campus and go through bootcamp in the fall. Stud pitchers. players sometimes get a different impression of the program after the fall. It takes a special player in every program to go from being all-state, all-conference, all-world in high school or as a juco, then they come up against more of the same in college. It can be a humbling experience for the average athlete. EConn is no diferent. I am sure you have seen this.

But looking into the crystal ball for 09... Correct,,,, defense and baserunning has to improve. I do think the starting pitching will be better based upon the experience they were given this season. A healthy Shawn and Tingley can only be a plus. If they do get a stud starter to come in, maybe one of these guys can help out in the bullpen and save innings for Wojick. It was evident that both Wojick and Fontaine wore down. But they did gain experience.

The LEC will be strong again next year. Keene and Southern Maine will reload and it will be a dogfight again. Will look forward to see how some of these teams and their players either play or rest during the summer.

ECSUalum

D Gilblair,

It has been great to have you to bounce questions off of this year and your keen insight to the team.

Thanks for the comments above, and best of luck to Shawn on the offseason, maybe the rest will really refresh his arm, (and legs) for next year.  We are all hoping for another All American Season for him.next year and a MLB draft pick as well.

Jcon8958

Also does anybody have a list of players that will be playing in the NEIBA game i was just told that Conway out of UMB will not be in it despite being POTY twice dont jump all over me boys but lets be honest somthing say wat u want he deserves to be playing in this game the fact that he isnt and 14 other LEC players are is a joke in it self.

Im sure all the other players did deserve it but come on let be honest so did he.

dgilblair

Quote from: Jcon8958 on May 22, 2008, 04:52:17 PM
Also does anybody have a list of players that will be playing in the NEIBA game i was just told that Conway out of UMB will not be in it despite being POTY twice dont jump all over me boys but lets be honest somthing say wat u want he deserves to be playing in this game the fact that he isnt and 14 other LEC players are is a joke in it self.

Im sure all the other players did deserve it but come on let be honest so did he.

Don't know much about the NEIBA game.  I think it is for seniors only but other than that I don't know.  Maybe the coach has to nominate them or something.  Maybe he didn't want to go.

dgilblair

Quote from: ecfaninri on May 21, 2008, 08:35:34 AM
The LEC will be strong again next year. Keene and Southern Maine will reload and it will be a dogfight again. Will look forward to see how some of these teams and their players either play or rest during the summer.

The 08 season was another great year for TEE.  Another regional bid, almost getting to Cortland in the finales.  Which by the way I don't think we would have faired to well running on pitching fumes. The best part of it all was a lot of young kids got a taste of it.  That will go a long way next year and the year after that.  All those dogfights in the LEC don't hurt much either.  Don't you love them dogfights!!!  Just another notch in the belt for coach Holowaty and crew.  What a legacy he and his crew have.

Jcon8958

Anyone have any predictions on who might get picked up in the little east this year in the draft?

kscer

I just saw Jamie Chevalier KSC 2nd Base was selected to the ABCA/ Rawlings Gold Glove team. Well deserved award. He took away many hits the way he played 2nd. Congratulations Jamie.

dgilblair

Quote from: kscer on May 24, 2008, 07:02:58 PM
I just saw Jamie Chevalier KSC 2nd Base was selected to the ABCA/ Rawlings Gold Glove team. Well deserved award. He took away many hits the way he played 2nd. Congratulations Jamie.

Congradulations to Chevy.  He has a heart the size of a Mach truck on top of that.  Plays the deepest second I've ever seen, takes so many hits away.

wordsmith

Hey Gang,

Thought I'd pass this little tidbit along.

Anyone remember Brian Maloney? He pitched for UMESS DartBoard back a year ago. Well it seems he 'transferred' to Franklin Pierce a very strong D-II program in NH where they employ wood bats in the regular season. They just won the NE Regional for the 3rd straight year and booked yet another trip to the WS. (Got KO'd in 2 again this year).

Anyway, back to the Maloney kid. From what I remember of him he was a solid pitcher. His 2007 stats reflects a kid who was 2-3 with a 3.63 ERA. He did have a decent K/inning ratio. So he leaves the DartBoards and heads north to play for Pierce and Coach KingKong. Maloney has a heck of a year and heading into the WS he is 8-1 with an ERA a bit over 2.1. (Says something about wood bats, eh?)

So they head off to the WS and Maloney gets the draw as the Game 2 starter vs Shippensburg St. An elimination game. Poor kid struggles and cannot get out of the first inning, I mean they have him in for 62 pitches in the first inning. 62 pitches in the first inning!! Then he has to come back out and throw the 2nd and 3rd innings. All total he heaves up 111 pitches in 3.1 innings. Gives up 7 runs on 6 hits and 6 walks, 5 of which came in the first inning.

Thought you LEC fans might remember this guy. Anyone ever seen a kid throw 60+ pitches in the first inning? Makes you wonder.

Word
Word

ECSUalum

Word,

Seem to remember this guy.

Boyd has a lot of interesting comments on pitch count:

http://www.boydsworld.com/data/pitchcount.html

dgilblair

I remember him.  In 06 he pitched a heck of a game against ECSU and beat us.  I was surprised and glad we didn't see him in 07. 

YagsUMB

DGilblair, That wasn't him in 06. He's only a sophomore this year. You must have misremembered. hahaha Will Maloney is the kid you're thinking of. How bout them Bantams!

YagsUMB

Couple interesting numbers behind Trinity's 45-1 championship season.

-Four pitchers (Kiely, Barnard, Regan, Bayer) combined to throw 81 percent of the team's innings. Thats 314 out of a possible 388 innings. That is unreal to me. After the first game in Harwich, these are the only four pitchers who threw an inning.

-The staff threw 9 shutouts and had a team ERA under 2.00

-Their K/BB ratio was around 4.5/1 as a team and opponents hit a little over .210 against them. Kiely's K/BB ratio? 107/3 or about 36/1. And one of those walks was intentional!!! He'll be getting a well deserved call next week from a major league organization.

-The Bantams out-homered their opposition 41-10, out-stole them 84-30 and outscored them 404-122.

-They committed 27 fewer errors than the other team, leading to about 40 more unearned runs than there opponents.

-They played in 7 one run games, including back-to-back 1-0 victories in late March.

The more you look into their stats, the more you appreciate what they did this year. The pitching staff was their calling card but they also hit over .330 and ran their opponents into submission. They had the perfect mix of team speed, power and timely hitting. They had 24 more sacrifice hits than the other team and got hit by 27 more pitches proving that they were a selfless machine.

And now that Trophy is back in New England where it belongs.

KSCfan

I give all the credit in the world for Trinity, espically that at bat when the kid fouled off 6 2-2 pitchers.  Tough way for Hopkins to lose it though.  Back to Back walks is really tough.  COngrats to the Bantams on an amazing run. 

Ralph Turner

Quote from: YagsUMB on May 28, 2008, 01:08:21 AM
Couple interesting numbers behind Trinity's 45-1 championship season.

-Four pitchers (Kiely, Barnard, Regan, Bayer) combined to throw 81 percent of the team's innings. Thats 314 out of a possible 388 innings. That is unreal to me. After the first game in Harwich, these are the only four pitchers who threw an inning.

-The staff threw 9 shutouts and had a team ERA under 2.00

-Their K/BB ratio was around 4.5/1 as a team and opponents hit a little over .210 against them. Kiely's K/BB ratio? 107/3 or about 36/1. And one of those walks was intentional!!! He'll be getting a well deserved call next week from a major league organization.

-The Bantams out-homered their opposition 41-10, out-stole them 84-30 and outscored them 404-122.

-They committed 27 fewer errors than the other team, leading to about 40 more unearned runs than their opponents.

-They played in 7 one run games, including back-to-back 1-0 victories in late March.

The more you look into their stats, the more you appreciate what they did this year. The pitching staff was their calling card but they also hit over .330 and ran their opponents into submission. They had the perfect mix of team speed, power and timely hitting. They had 24 more sacrifice hits than the other team and got hit by 27 more pitches proving that they were a selfless machine.

And now that Trophy is back in New England where it belongs.
Great post!

I like your regional attitude!   :)

Since the beginning of the Pool system for allocating playoff bids, this is the count of champions by region.

New England -- 2002, 2009
Mid-Atlantic -- 2000, 2007
Midwest --  2001, 2005
West -- 2003, 2004
Mieeast -- 2006

New York, South and Central -- none