Previous topic - Next topic

Greek Tragedy

Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

tomt4525

Bethel 6'2" transfer G, Myles Coleman, will continue his basketball career at UWSP.  Myles was a 2021 graduate of Brookfield Central, played on a loaded team there.  He put up solid stats as a freshman at Bethel, 8 pts and 3 rebounds a game.  That included an 18 pt and 6 rebound effort on 8-13 shooting against UWSP.  Myles should provide more depth to the roster.

Greek Tragedy

I really have no idea if any of these recent additions to Point are any good. It is a cause for optimism, at least for me, that players are not only willing to play for Point, but to actually transfer into Point after either playing or committing to other programs. I don't think that's been the case recently.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

tomt4525

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on July 07, 2022, 08:00:33 AM
I really have no idea if any of these recent additions to Point are any good. It is a cause for optimism, at least for me, that players are not only willing to play for Point, but to actually transfer into Point after either playing or committing to other programs. I don't think that's been the case recently.

As far as Point's newcomers go, I'm pleasantly surprised minus the lack of a impact big man at this point.

Van Calster is definitely one of the best incoming freshman in the WIAC this year, if not the best.  Gus Foster is also a guy who had a lot of options in his recruitment.  The 2 D2 transfers were huge commitments, Winterfeldt and Larson.  I expect them to start right away.  Myles Coleman had a very solid freshman season at Bethel, the MIAC is a solid league.  He provides depth as well as a high ceiling with his athleticism.

Gillie, Tarjan, Warden and Kortz I'm not as excited about.  Kortz also brings some elite athleticism but basketball skills needs to catch up to that.  The coaches seemed excited about Tarjan but I don't see it.  Gillie was an All Conference performer as a sophomore in the Milwaukee City Conference, which is extremely impressive.  He was the 3rd option behind 2 scholarship players at West Allis Central.  He's listed at 6'5" but I think he's more like 6'3".  With his power game inside I would be much more excited if he was 6'5".  Warden is a big practice body.  Point is in trouble if they are relying on him.

Point still needs to be active on finding an improvement in the post.  Vander Valden can be an asset off the bench but they need an upgrade there with the bigs they will be facing in and out of conference.

tomt4525

UWSP is taking part in the Jack Sikma Invitational at Illinois Wesleyan this coming season.  Games are November 12th and 13th.  UWSP opens with Webster on the 12th and will play either Yeshiva or Illinois Wesleyan on the 13th.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: tomt4525 on July 07, 2022, 06:28:00 PM
UWSP is taking part in the Jack Sikma Invitational at Illinois Wesleyan this coming season.  Games are November 12th and 13th.  UWSP opens with Webster on the 12th and will play either Yeshiva or Illinois Wesleyan on the 13th.

That's some exciting news. Obviously IWU and Yeshiva will both look a lot different than the last few years, but still some quality opponents along with Webster.

Point's other non conference games include a trio of MIAA teams.

At Hope 11/25
At Calvin 11/26
Vs Trine 12/8
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

tomt4525

This probably doesn't need to be posted by any means...but thinking about Point still needing an impact big...there is a 6'10" kid that was recruited to NAIA Kansas Wesleyan a couple years ago but isn't on their roster anymore, from what I can tell is very interested in attending UWSP. 

I am not too familiar with the quality of basketball and Kansas Wesleyan, but the highlights I've seen show him pretty mobile.  If I find something official on where he's going, I'll mention it.

Next Man Up

Quote from: tomt4525 on July 08, 2022, 03:00:33 PM
This probably doesn't need to be posted by any means...but thinking about Point still needing an impact big...there is a 6'10" kid that was recruited to NAIA Kansas Wesleyan a couple years ago but isn't on their roster anymore, from what I can tell is very interested in attending UWSP. 

I am not too familiar with the quality of basketball and Kansas Wesleyan, but the highlights I've seen show him pretty mobile.  If I find something official on where he's going, I'll mention it.

Not sure this possibility is cause for a ton of excitement. 6'10" 210 lb Dylan Ruder from Hays, KS did not make the 2020-2021 varsity team. If he ever played it was on the JV team only. There are no statistics for him, and he did not return to the team this past season.
As far as the quality of Kansas Wesleyan basketball, think Olivet, Alma, Edgewood, Lakeland.
So young hero, ask yourself............................Do you want to go to college, get a good education, and play (basketball)(football), or do you want to go to college, get a good education, and watch (basketball)(football)? 🤔 😏

Don't surround yourself with yourself. 🧍🏼‍♂️(Yes)

tomt4525

6'4" former Sussex Hamilton and D1 Milwaukee walk on transfer, Tyler Ellingson, will play basketball at Platteville.  With a large exodus of players leaving Platteville this past season, they have a huge recruiting class coming in.

Next Man Up

Quote from: tomt4525 on July 18, 2022, 12:14:53 PM
6'4" former Sussex Hamilton and D1 Milwaukee walk on transfer, Tyler Ellingson, will play basketball at Platteville.  With a large exodus of players leaving Platteville this past season, they have a huge recruiting class coming in.

One of the UW-P recruits is from a far, far northwest suburb of Chicago. From a statistical standpoint, he was the overall second best player last season for his team which finished 27-6. Besides Platteville, he was recruited by some of the other WIAC schools, some CCIW schools, and I believe some American Rivers teams. We've heard that one of the primary factors in his choice was that he is going to be able to attend Platteville for the Wisconsin resident tuition rate.
Not sure if this applies to UWP's other IL recruits.
So young hero, ask yourself............................Do you want to go to college, get a good education, and play (basketball)(football), or do you want to go to college, get a good education, and watch (basketball)(football)? 🤔 😏

Don't surround yourself with yourself. 🧍🏼‍♂️(Yes)

tomt4525

Apparently the UWSP coaching staff decided they were only going to announce about half of their incoming recruiting class on social media this year.  They have announced 5 additions, none since a week ago and were announcing one per weekday while it was going on.  I know of 4 other commitments and I would bet there are more than those 4 additional.

Also, It appears that there is a solid chance Cliff McCray isn't leaving UWSP after entering the transfer portal.  I haven't seen anything that makes me believe he found a new home and he still has UWSP Men's Basketball on his social media.  This news isn't exactly shocking to me if he was looking for a scholarship, I don't think he's a scholarship level player.

tomt4525

Haven't heard anything about how it happened, but see on social media some terrible news.  Current Whitewater Warhawk player, Derek Gray, passed away.  My condolences to his family and the Warhawk community.

tomt4525

Information on Derek Gray's passing has been sparse, but from what I have seen...he was playing basketball when he passed away.

badgerwarhawk

Quote from: Next Man Up on July 18, 2022, 05:41:39 PM

One of the UW-P recruits is from a far, far northwest suburb of Chicago. From a statistical standpoint, he was the overall second best player last season for his team which finished 27-6. Besides Platteville, he was recruited by some of the other WIAC schools, some CCIW schools, and I believe some American Rivers teams. We've heard that one of the primary factors in his choice was that he is going to be able to attend Platteville for the Wisconsin resident tuition rate.
Not sure if this applies to UWP's other IL recruits.

UW-Platteville has reciprocity with Illinois so all Illinois residents pay Wisconsin tuition rates.  Several other Wisconsin state universities also have reciprocity with Illinois.

"Just think twice is my only advice."