FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UfanBill

Quote from: UfanBill on April 26, 2022, 07:25:33 PM
2022 SCHEDULES are starting to come out. UNION opens 9/3 in Meadville, Pa (near Erie) with a game against the Alleghany Gators who are playing this year in the PAC after going 3-7 in the NCAC last year. They have never met before in football but Alleghany lost twice to RPI in 2018,19. It's an interesting change from Dutchmen openers against Massachusetts schools the last few seasons. They are back in Massachusetts however, two weeks later with another meeting with Springfield on 9/17. More to come, an E8 opponent(Hartwick or Utica,others already have a set 2022 schedule) and maybe MIT? Can't wait.

UNION hosts UTICA on 9/24. Good to see this series continuing. One more OOC game for the Dutchmen I hope.
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

Oline89

Comin Atcha Hobart football fan page has been keeping updates on the Hobart recruiting class.  Looks like they are bringing in 36 Frosh players.  Very strong looking crew, especially at OL and OLB

UfanBill

UNION fills out it's 10 game schedule with a home game 9/10 versus Worcester St.. The Dutchmen rolled over the Lancers 62-13 last season. That makes 5 home/5 road games with a bye week #7...https://unionathletics.com/sports/football/schedule

LET'S GO   
                                                      U
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

Pat Coleman

A schedule! About time!
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

UfanBill

Quote from: Pat Coleman on May 16, 2022, 01:27:10 PM
A schedule! About time!

Pat, Union is far from the last team to complete and post it's 2022 schedule. Why be snarky with me? ::) I'm just trying to provide some content to this page.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: UfanBill on May 16, 2022, 01:41:58 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on May 16, 2022, 01:27:10 PM
A schedule! About time!

Pat, Union is far from the last team to complete and post it's 2022 schedule. Why be snarky with me? ::) I'm just trying to provide some content to this page.

I didn't think this would be taken as something personal toward you. And Union certainly isn't the last team to post, but absolutely in the last 20%.

I'm mostly saying this because of the 10-15 times in the past six weeks I've refreshed the Union schedule page, looking for the schedule.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Oline89

So what do all the LL gurus think about the recent announcement between the E8 and Landmark League for future game scheduling?  Another hurdle for teams to get 10 game schedule??
https://empire8.com/news/2022/5/12/football-empire-8-and-landmark-conferences-announce-football-non-conference-scheduling-agreement.aspx

Pat Coleman

It does seem to take away two opportunities each year for E8 and LL schools to play each other. The Landmark programs need four non-conference games each year, though, so there would be opportunities for LL teams to get games there. Depends on how that set of games is scheduled.

UfanBill

Quote from: Oline89 on May 23, 2022, 03:38:02 PM
So what do all the LL gurus think about the recent announcement between the E8 and Landmark League for future game scheduling?  Another hurdle for teams to get 10 game schedule??
https://empire8.com/news/2022/5/12/football-empire-8-and-landmark-conferences-announce-football-non-conference-scheduling-agreement.aspx

I'm not sure about the "guru" part but I'll take a shot at this. The E8 and the LL have had a "gentleman's agreement" in place for a few years that encourages each school to play an OOC game or two against the other New York state league. I don't see that changing. The E8 because many of it's teams are in western NY has recruited heavily in Pennsylvania so they might be more inclined to play OOC games in that state while LL teams, especially those in eastern NY have recruited in New England and have historically played more OOC there. Add in that three NE schools were LL members until relatively recently. I know Union, RPI and St.Lawrence have long standing rivalries in New England that are continuing. Don't look for the LL to enter into a like agreement with any Pennsylvania conference though it's possible. All LL teams have scheduled the MAC, NJAC and PAC occasionally in the past and the new Landmark may show up. Look for those to continue. In fact this year Union plays Allegheny and Hobart has Keystone.

Caz Bombers

It'll all get jacked up anyway when Utica goes D2, right?

UfanBill

Quote from: Caz Bombers on May 23, 2022, 11:14:18 PM

The only thing I've seen about Utica is that they're close to petitioning the NCAA to go D1 in HOCKEY. Presently playing one sport at the D1 level and all others at D3 is allowed...examples RIT, Union. RPI , St. Lawrence in hockey and Hobart and Hopkins in lacrosse.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: UfanBill on May 23, 2022, 10:46:27 PM
Quote from: Oline89 on May 23, 2022, 03:38:02 PM

I'm not sure about the "guru" part but I'll take a shot at this. The E8 and the LL have had a "gentleman's agreement" in place for a few years that encourages each school to play an OOC game or two against the other New York state league. I don't see that changing. The E8 because many of it's teams are in western NY has recruited heavily in Pennsylvania so they might be more inclined to play OOC games in that state while LL teams, especially those in eastern NY have recruited in New England and have historically played more OOC there. Add in that three NE schools were LL members until relatively recently. I know Union, RPI and St.Lawrence have long standing rivalries in New England that are continuing. Don't look for the LL to enter into a like agreement with any Pennsylvania conference though it's possible. All LL teams have scheduled the MAC, NJAC and PAC occasionally in the past and the new Landmark may show up. Look for those to continue. In fact this year Union plays Allegheny and Hobart has Keystone.

Yea, I've never seen any problem for upstate schools regardless of league, finding nonleague games to fill schedules.  You can fill these up to 5 years in advance so if you know what you are doing it shouldn't be an issue.

Now on the other hand, the E8/Landmark deal says the crossover will start in 2023-2024.  Let's say  Ithaca already has agreements with Brockport, SJF, Alfred and Cortland for OCC games in 2024.  Does that mean one of those teams has to tell Ithaca "no, sorry we have to back out to play Landmark conference schools?"

I also agree with the "gentlemen's agreement" thing UfanBill.  LL lets Buff State join the league and that move helps everyone in upstate out, not just the LL teams for Pool A stuff. 

I'm not going to call the E8/Landmark move odd, but I don't see why they need to do something like that.  At some point the SJF or Alfred AD is going to have to put up a flight/hotel stay in DC to play Catholic instead of a bus/day trip to Ithaca or Rochester.  I guess if it for only two games it shouldn't have too much of an impact on upstate crossover games.   

Pat Coleman

Quote from: UfanBill on May 24, 2022, 01:07:19 AM

The only thing I've seen about Utica is that they're close to petitioning the NCAA to go D1 in HOCKEY. Presently playing one sport at the D1 level and all others at D3 is allowed...examples RIT, Union. RPI , St. Lawrence in hockey and Hobart and Hopkins in lacrosse.

They are talking about D2 in all sports with D1 hockey.

Jonny Utah

In other LL news, RIT and Union are facing off in the D3 lax championship game and Ithaca is playing Catholic in the super regionals in baseball. 

Hobart Lax announcing they will be joining the Atlantic-10 in lacrosse as well. 

Caz Bombers

Quote from: UfanBill on May 24, 2022, 01:07:19 AM

no, that's totally not true. Those schools are grandfathered but no one else is allowed to do that. That's why Utica is going D2.