FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wartknight and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Jersey42

The top four teams this year could easily beat any of the other three.  Maybe St. Lawrence could sneak in a victory over the top four as well. Most likely, once again only the conference champ will make the NCAA tourney.  If any of the teams are fighting for an at large berth, IC has the best non conference schedule with Cortland and Brockport.  RPI has Carnegie Mellon. Hobart has no one that will help. Union with Springfield and St. Lawrence with Endicott will probably also not benefit from their non conference opponents.

Jersey42

Another poll
2022 Lindy's Sports Division III Preseason Poll
1. Mount Union
2. North Central
3. Mary Hardin-Baylor
4. UW-Whitewater
5. Delaware Valley
6. Central
7. Linfield
8. Hardin-Simmons
9. Wheaton
10. UW-La Crosse
11. Trinity
12. Johns Hopkins
13. Saint John's
14. Cortland State
15. Muhlenberg
16. UW-River Falls
17. RPI
18. Birmingham-Southern
19. Ithaca
20. DePauw
21. Randolph-Macon
22. UW-Oshkosh
23. Salisbury
24. Redlands
25. Lake Forest

Jersey42

Still another poll

2022 College Football America Division III Preseason Top 30
1. Mary Hardin-Baylor
2. North Central
3. Mount Union
4. Wis.-Whitewater
5. Muhlenberg
6. Linfield
7. Saint John's
8. Central
9. Wheaton
10. Hardin-Simmons
11. Johns Hopkins
12. Delaware Valley
13. Bethel (Minn.)
14. Wis.-La Crosse
15. RPI
16. Salisbury
17. Cortland
18. Birmingham-Southern
19. Redlands
20. Ithaca
21. Susquehanna
22. Trinity (Texas)
23. Union (N.Y.)
24. Randolph-Macon
25. Wis.-Oshkosh
26. Howard Payne
27. Huntingdon
28. Carnegie Mellon
29. Aurora
30. John Carroll

IC798891

So...random question:

When was the last time a team from what we might consider the current "East" had a win over a team from the midwest/west/south that resonated nationally? (I know that's not exactly how we divide up the country anymore, but it's the offseason, so give me some slack)

I'm not talking about the time where Buff State stunned Whitewater, but then Whitewater turned out to be just solid that year and Buff State wound up indistinguishable from Ithaca and Utica at 6-4. Amazing at the time, but turned out to matter very little nationally

I'm not talking Brockport over Wesley, who I think was sort of viewed as an East team.

Wesley's older wins, of course, qualifiy, but Wesley is not a thing anymore, so I don't think that really matters either.

Do we have to go all the way back to the Rowan dynasty?

MRMIKESMITH

Quote from: IC798891 on August 09, 2022, 12:30:27 PM
So...random question:

When was the last time a team from what we might consider the current "East" had a win over a team from the midwest/west/south that resonated nationally? (I know that's not exactly how we divide up the country anymore, but it's the offseason, so give me some slack)

I'm not talking about the time where Buff State stunned Whitewater, but then Whitewater turned out to be just solid that year and Buff State wound up indistinguishable from Ithaca and Utica at 6-4. Amazing at the time, but turned out to matter very little nationally

I'm not talking Brockport over Wesley, who I think was sort of viewed as an East team.

Wesley's older wins, of course, qualifiy, but Wesley is not a thing anymore, so I don't think that really matters either.

Salisbury beat the WIAC Champion in 2019. Feels like a millenial ago tho and that Oshkosh team went 8-3 losing to Central in a dramatic OT game 1st round. It's really levels to these things. I think one year, the East can have the players, but lose because of scheme, then one year scheme takes them to lose to better athletes, especially the athletes on the D-Line and O-Line. I honestly think the Wesley Teams in mid 2000s and early 10s had the administration support and players, just faced more experience foes. I think that 2019 Del Val team was close, but I think they faced a once in a blue moon NCC team and had average QB play that didn't help.

IC798891

Quote from: FANOFD3 on August 09, 2022, 01:42:51 PM
So...random question:

Salisbury beat the WIAC Champion in 2019. Feels like a millenial ago tho and that Oshkosh team went 8-3 losing to Central in a dramatic OT game 1st round. It's really levels to these things. I think one year, the East can have the players, but lose because of scheme, then one year scheme takes them to lose to better athletes, especially the athletes on the D-Line and O-Line. I honestly think the Wesley Teams in mid 2000s and early 10s had the administration support and players, just faced more experience foes. I think that 2019 Del Val team was close, but I think they faced a once in a blue moon NCC team and had average QB play that didn't help.

Right, and that game UWO was even weird because, their upset of UWW aside, they clearly were not the best team in the WIAC.

jmcozenlaw

So...random question:

I know many (cough.....cough.....NESCAC) who would argue that the East/Northeast whips the majority of the rest of the country where it counts most.........in the classroom and boardroom. I didn't go to a prep school, so I don't take that angle. ;)

Ice Bear

Ice Bear back in this mofo and looking forward to another enjoyable season of his favorite football on the planet...division 3 football. Ice is hoping everyone on the LLPP and their loved ones are doing well.

Ice is currently out on the Cape (his usual August vacation) and will be returning home to Shocktown shortly to catch as much of the Galiant Garnet's 2022 camp. Lots of positives coming back for Ice's Dutch but also some spots to fill and some question marks at the QB position. Ice feels the top four of the LL will be tough, possibly with his Dutch being closer to the bottom of that four. Hoping SLU continues to improve and takes one or two from the top teams in the league not named Union.

The Dutch will start by welcoming Worcester State to Frank Bailey and then heading out to Allegheny to play the Gators for the first time. Union keeps traditional OOC opponents Utica and Springfield on the schedule. Ice is hoping Chris Sharpe makes a surprise appearance for the Pride, maybe filling the role of clock timer with a special jacket of some sort. Maybe during half time Sharpe would do us the honor of getting lost in a crowded scrum of senior citizens on his own 1 yard line and then suddenly bouncing out of nowhere to the left hash and trouncing 99 yards for a TD...ah nostalgia!
A long time fan of DIII Football!

unionpalooza

I still shudder to think of that kid.  Insane.  His 2006 highlights are here, starting with the opener where he piled up almost 300 yards on very good Union team, whose LBs might as well have stayed home that day. 

Ice Bear

Ice Bear says this is a nice little write up on the U. Ice says he sees some key players returning and an exciting competition at QB between two Capital Region products.
https://dailygazette.com/2022/08/13/union-football-back-at-work-seeking-redemption-from-tough-end-to-2021-season/
A long time fan of DIII Football!

Jersey42

Four LL players made the d3football.com pre season All-America teams. 
All defense or special teams. RPI had three (two on the first team) and Ithaca had one (one on first team).

DT (1)   Josh Cohen                 RPI        Sr.  Wellesley, Mass.
CB (1)   C.J. Lyons                   RPI        Sr.  Rocky Mount, N.C.
K   (1)   Nicholas Bahamonde   Ithaca    Sr.  Berryville, Va.
LB  (3)  Joe Deptula                 RPI        Sr.  Watertown, Conn.

Caz Bombers

Quote from: Jersey42 on August 15, 2022, 04:32:21 PM
Four LL players made the d3football.com pre season All-America teams. 
All defense or special teams. RPI had three (two on the first team) and Ithaca had one (one on first team).

DT (1)   Josh Cohen                 RPI        Sr.  Wellesley, Mass.
CB (1)   C.J. Lyons                   RPI        Sr.  Rocky Mount, N.C.
K   (1)   Nicholas Bahamonde   Ithaca    Sr.  Berryville, Va.
LB  (3)  Joe Deptula                 RPI        Sr.  Watertown, Conn.

missed one.

OT (2) Tim Driscoll                  Union    Sr.  Pleasantville, N.Y.

Jersey42

Quote from: Caz Bombers on August 15, 2022, 04:45:39 PM

missed one.

OT (2) Tim Driscoll                  Union    Sr.  Pleasantville, N.Y.

Oops   :-[

IC798891

RPI looking like a tough out again, for sure

Jonny Utah

So looks like Ithaca has a joint practice with Lycoming tomorrow morning, then a scrimmage at Susquehanna next Wednesday.  JV opens up with Army prep next Friday. 

pumped and jacked.....pumped and jacked.....