Conference changes

Started by hopefan, May 01, 2008, 11:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greek Tragedy

I heard the WIAC and CCIW are going to form one big power conference, and to follow suit, the NESCAC and the UAA will be doing the same thing. By 2026, those will be the only two conferences and everyone else will be an independent.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

jeffconn

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on July 01, 2022, 12:10:06 AM

Salve Regina to the NEWMAC.

Got a link? I'm not seeing it on the NEWMAC or SR websites.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: jeffconn on July 01, 2022, 02:22:25 PM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on July 01, 2022, 12:10:06 AM

Salve Regina to the NEWMAC.

Got a link? I'm not seeing it on the NEWMAC or SR websites.

It's not been announced yet, but it's been an open secret for a while and Dave McHugh reported it yesterday. I trust his legwork. Today's July 1, new fiscal year, so it might get announced today.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

saratoga

Maybe the Centennial & Landmark should start some conversations.

BaboNation

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on July 01, 2022, 10:48:17 AM
Quote from: BaboNation on July 01, 2022, 10:06:28 AM
Well as a NEWMAC fan I don't like this at all.  This isn't about Hartford or Salve Regina with me, but about the effect this will have on the conference, and most particularly home & away games for men's basketball.  Now there will be 9 on the men's side and 12 for women.  Or is there another shoe or 2 to drop?

So I believe this is the 3rd CCC team to migrate to the NEWMAC in recent years after Coast Guard and Emerson.  If I truly wanted to "poach" a CCC member I would have wanted Suffolk (to me, a much better overall fit) but maybe they're happy where they are.

Didn't Emerson and CGA move in the '90s? They definitely were not in the CCC when I was in college.

"Recent" was probably a poor choice of words on my part.  But I don't think Football should have been a factor in a choice of SR over Hartford.  Only 4 of the conference football teams are full NEWMAC members; not the kind of thing that enhances rivalries.

Suffolk would have been a better fit athletically and academically IMO.

If the NEWMAC is moving to 9, might as well move to 10. 

Ralph Turner

Quote from: BaboNation on July 01, 2022, 04:39:32 PM
Well as a NEWMAC fan I don't like this at all.  This isn't about Hartford or Salve Regina with me, but about the effect this will have on the conference, and most particularly home & away games for men's basketball.  Now there will be 9 on the men's side and 12 for women.  Or is there another shoe or 2 to drop?

So I believe this is the 3rd CCC team to migrate to the NEWMAC in recent years after Coast Guard and Emerson.  If I truly wanted to "poach" a CCC member I would have wanted Suffolk (to me, a much better overall fit) but maybe they're happy where they are.

Didn't Emerson and CGA move in the '90s? They definitely were not in the CCC when I was in college.

"Recent" was probably a poor choice of words on my part.  But I don't think Football should have been a factor in a choice of SR over Hartford.  Only 4 of the conference football teams are full NEWMAC members; not the kind of thing that enhances rivalries.

...and NEWMAC women from 12 to 13...(?)

BaboNation

Quote from: Ralph Turner on July 01, 2022, 10:03:51 PM

...and NEWMAC women from 12 to 13...(?)

I just think for the men, if they go to 9 it reduces the likelihood of the current home and away games in basketball.  I'm not saying it's impossible, and other conferences manage, but OOC games get reduced.

For the women, they've already had to live with a random H&A schedule of conference opponents each year.  I think the larger issue for them is each time you add a team it reduces the chance of a H&A with traditional rivals like the all-women institutions of Smith, Wellesley, and Mount Holyoke.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I suspect there may still be some dominoes to fall in New England. The NECC schools need to go somewhere and both the NAC and GNAC are a little large. There's probably room for another conference or reshuffling.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on July 02, 2022, 10:55:29 AM

I suspect there may still be some dominoes to fall in New England. The NECC schools need to go somewhere and both the NAC and GNAC are a little large. There's probably room for another conference or reshuffling.
However, considering the geography, it looks like the NAC is adapting very nicely with its divisional format.

They are big conferences, but they both maintain access to the AQ in plenty of sports, where they would not have enough for 2 separate AQ's

Pat Coleman

Kind of all the more reason to add a full/core member that plays football. Catholic left the conference, Maine Maritime dropped football, and the NEWMAC certainly could use stability for its conference schedule for football.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Caz Bombers

Carlow to AMCC was announced this morning. Presuming they clear all the hurdles, joining 2023-24 and fully postseason eligible in 2026-27.

CNU85

Quote from: Caz Bombers on July 06, 2022, 02:10:39 PM
Carlow to AMCC was announced this morning. Presuming they clear all the hurdles, joining 2023-24 and fully postseason eligible in 2026-27.

The article says it best for the move...it looks like they were reducing costs. I noticed for basketball they were playing a few D1 schools. (VMI, Bowling Green and JMU). The current NAIA conference they are in have schools in Kentucky, Ohio, WV, PA and Indiana. I guess scheduling and travel were issues since they were playing D1 schools and traveling.

I just looked at their athletics website. Of the team sports they sponsor with W-L records (i.e not counting track or XC) they were 40-144-2 (21.5%) last year.

gordonmann

Bump

Provisional Pipeline for 2022-23
Full membership fall 2022: Pratt, University of St Thomas (Texas)
3rd year provisional members (full membership fall 2023): Bob Jones, Mississippi University for Women, Warren Wilson
2nd year provisional members: Asbury
1st year provisional members: Hartford (headed to CCC)
Exploratory: Lyon, Carlow (headed to AMCC)

* Games against Year 3 provisional members count the same as games against full-members for regional-ranking and tournament selection purposes

Conference Changes Starting in 2022-2023
Allegheny leaves the NCAC for the PAC
Averett leaves the USAC for the ODAC
Mississippi University for Women (MUW) will join the SLIAC
Medaille leaves the AMCC for the Empire 8
Belhaven leaves the ASC for the Collegiate Conference of the South
Agnes Scott, Berea, Covenant, Huntingdon, LaGrange, Maryville, Piedmont, and Wesleyan (GA) leave the USAC for the Collegiate Conference of the South

Conference Changes Starting in 2023-2024
Lebanon Valley shifts from the MAC Commonwealth to the MAC Freedom
Lesley leaves the NECC for the NAC
Lycoming leaves the MAC Freedom for the Landmark
Morrisville State leaves the UEC for the NAC
Wilkes leaves the MAC Freedom for the Landmark

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Pat Coleman on June 24, 2022, 06:20:09 PM
Quote from: jmcozenlaw on June 24, 2022, 04:30:40 PM
It looks like there is something brewing (after a few false starts) with Lancaster Bible switching conferences. Also a couple of the United East schools are looking around and if they find a home, that might just doom the United East. I wonder what would happen to St. Mary's and Gallaudet down south........and the three Penn State schools (Abington, Berks, Harrisburg) as well.

The Conference roulette wheel just keeps on a spinning.........and MAC rumors are getting stronger AFTER the Wilkes and Lycoming departures (and the Leb Val switch). There are a few schools approaching the MAC regarding joining the conference. I'm at a loss as to who though.

Lancaster Bible has been looking at the CSAC, right? But I wonder if the MAC is a better spot for them.

St. Mary's and Gallaudet could go back to the CAC. I know they left and that Gallaudet was not in good shape when it left the league, but the league is not in good shape right now.

If I had to guess as to who would be approaching the MAC, I'd start with the same pipeline as always: CSAC to MAC. Keystone would be the one that I would guess to be the most interested.

My guess is that Lancaster Bible does wind up in the CSAC, although with the number of sports they are adding over the next couple of years, they would have just about every sport as the non-football schools in the MAC offer.

The Landmark is still sniffing around the MAC and would love to add two schools that play football, but while I have no idea, I could venture a guess or two given the similar ilk as Wilkes and Lycoming (I'm thinking Misericordia and Leb Val).

The United East is in trouble and while St. Mary's and Gallaudet could rather easily slide back into the CAC........I have no clue where the 3 PSU schools (Abington, Harrisburg and Berks) wind up. Maybe that on again, off again, on again, off again conjecture (vs. rumor) about an all or primarily PSU conference eventually does wind up happening.

I think that the MAC will always be fine for many reasons and if they do have a couple of football teams move on, they are in great shape as is OR they talk to a couple of the schools who have reached out to them given a possible shaky conference future (particularly in football)..........and we could probably name an NJAC team or two who might like to be preemptive.

Pat Coleman

The story we posted to Twitter on June 30 and that Ryan mentioned above is now official, with Salve Regina to join the NEWMAC for all sports starting in the fall of 2023:

https://www.d3sports.com/notables/2022/07/salve-regina-newmac
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.