CCIW

Started by Mr. Ypsi, September 04, 2009, 08:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_b

Quote from: npbaseball40 on November 14, 2021, 07:42:31 PM
Thanks for tuning in! Our camera crew and ball people really braved some brutal weather today.
They also did a commendable job of working to keep the lenses free of rain droplets.

Gregory Sager

NPU will face St. Olaf at 1 pm Friday in the sectional semis. The game will be held at Stagg Field down at 55th and Cottage Grove. Host Chicago plays Calvin in the second semi, which explains why the games are being held on Friday. Calvin, like Wheaton, is a Sunday-exemption school.

This will be the fourth-ever meeting between the Vikings and the Oles:

2000: North Park 2, St. Olaf 1 (Northfield, MN)
2010: St. Olaf 2, North Park 1 (Northfield, MN)
2012: North Park 1, St. Olaf 0 (Chicago, IL)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

NPU goes down to defeat on the South Side in the round of eight, 2-0, to Chicago. It ends a great run in 2021 for the Vikings, although it doesn't feel like such a great run at the moment; the Vikings felt all along that Greensboro was the goal, and they never wavered from that conviction.

The future is very bright for North Park, since eight starters (and all of the reserves who saw any appreciable time at all except for Patrick Knap) return next season. But today marks the end of the line for two pretty special Vikings, co-captains Gustav Ericsson and Peder Olsen. They are easily two of the greatest players to ever don a North Park kit. Gustav is supposedly coming back next season as a graduate assistant coach, and if he can teach half of what he knows about footwork, passing, and on-ball defense to his ex-teammates it'll be a tremendous hire. Peder, the only three-time scoring champion in CCIW history, completely rewrote the North Park record book and has made me amend the compliment "box-to-box midfielder" by upping it to "endline-to-endline midfielder" in honor of Peder's penchant for clearing balls off of the line and running down attackers from behind deep in the defensive third.

The North Park record book is not the only place where Peder made his mark. Here's how he ranks all-time among CCIW players, all games included:

Goals

1.  Eric Brown, WC  1996-99  86
  2.  Rob Mouw, WC  1997-99  69
  3.  Joel Kapitaniuk, WC  1986,88-90  67
  4.  Peder Olsen, NPU  2017-21  58
  5.  Jason Ross, AC  2000-03  56
  6.  Justin Risma, WC  2002-05  53
  7.  Phil Wolf, WC  1988-91  49
       Stephen Golz, WC  2012-15  49
  9.  Tyson Crist, AC  1997-00  48
       Chris Smith, AC  1995-98  48

Assists

1.  Troy Edwards, WC  1990-93  44
  2.  Jeff Valentini, AC  1995-98  42
  3.  Mike Domin, CC  1995-97  40
  4.  Eric Brown, WC  1996-99  38
  5.  Phil Wolf, WC  1988-91  37
  6.  Rob Mouw, WC  1997-99  35
  7.  Peder Olsen, NPU  2017-21  34
  8.  Joel Kapitaniuk, WC  1986,88-90  32
  9.  Chris Bates, AC  1992-93,95-96  30
  10.  Chris Smith, AC  1995-98  29

1.  Eric Brown, WC  1996-99  210
  2.  Rob Mouw, WC  1997-99  173
  3.  Joel Kapitaniuk, WC  1986,88-90  166
  4.  Peder Olsen, NPU  2017-21  150
  5.  Phil Wolf, WC  1988-91  135
  6.  Jason Ross, AC  2000-03  126
  7.  Chris Smith, AC  1995-98  125
  8.  Justin Risma, WC  2002-05  123
  9.  Mike Domin, CC  1995-97  120
  10.  Tyson Crist, AC  1997-00  117

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gotberg

NPU's Jesse Anamoo commits to Santa Clara University.   Best of luck!
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best

Gregory Sager

Congratulations to NPU's Peder Olsen, who was named D3soccer.com's Midfielder of the Year and a first-team All-American; to NPU's Gustav Ericsson, who was named to the second team; and to NCC's Sid Marquardt, who was named to the third team.

https://www.d3soccer.com/awards/all-america/2021/2021-Mens-AA

CardinalAlum

Interesting nothing has been said about Domin no longer the coach at Carthage. 
D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022

Gregory Sager

Wow! I had no idea, and I was on the Carthage athletics page just last night. They never posted a press release about Domin leaving.

His wife Stephanie is still listed as Carthage's women's cross-country and track & field coach. And what I find interesting is that, even though he's no longer listed in the staff directory, somebody went through Domin's Carthage bio and changed everything to past tense, despite the fact that it's no longer linked anywhere.

This is a very big deal in terms of CCIW soccer. Thanks for the heads-up, CA.

Gregory Sager

Wheaton has a new coach, Steve McCrath. He comes straight from the D2 ranks -- Barry University, to be precise -- where his Buccaneers won the D2 national title in 2018 and were national runners-up in 2000, making eight trips to the D2 national tournament in all during his 23 years there.

Those are impressive credentials earned at the scholarship level. The question is: Can he succeed in a situation in which he has no scholies to hand out? All of his experience is at the D2 level: Seattle Pacific (where he played for his dad, Wheaton alumnus Cliff McCrath, and later served as his dad's assistant coach) and Barry.

No word yet on a hire up at Carthage.

It's amazing how much coaching turnover there has been in this league within the past four years. Six of the nine CCIW programs have changed head coaches since 2018; the only holdovers are Augustana's Mick Regan, Elmhurst's Dave Di Tomasso, and Illinois Wesleyan's Kyle Schauls. What's particularly interesting about this wave of musical chairs is that, contrary to the norm, the more successful CCIW men's soccer programs have been a part of this trend as well. Once Carthage hires a replacement for Steve Domin, all three of the CCIW's traditional soccer powers will have installed new head coaches over the past three seasons.

Gregory Sager

Carthage has followed Wheaton's lead by hiring a former D1 head coach. He's Paul Leese, who had a nice run as the head coach of UT-Rio Grande Valley. He was even named coach of the year in the WAC in 2018, although he left UTRGV for undisclosed reasons over a year ago and spent last season as an assistant coach at the minor-league pro level with New Mexico United.

(Hat tip to CardinalAlum, who forecasted this hire last week.)

Gotberg

North Park is slowly posting their 2022 commitments on Instagram:  https://www.instagram.com/npu_msoccer/
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best

Gregory Sager

It's always a bit difficult to get a good read on soccer recruits based upon what you can see online. But one thing that jumped out at me among the six recruits that NPU has posted thus far on Instagram was a comment in the club profile of outside midfielder Love Brandt. His hometown club, Åby IF, is way down in Sweden's sixth division (no surprise, since the village of Åby only has a population of 5,000), but Brandt was apparently competing for a slot on the national U17 team before being sidelined by an injury. How much of that is take-it-to-the-bank info and how much of it is hype is all speculation. But, nevertheless, it caught my eye.

Gotberg

Quote from: Gregory Sager on May 20, 2022, 02:43:58 PM
It's always a bit difficult to get a good read on soccer recruits based upon what you can see online. But one thing that jumped out at me among the six recruits that NPU has posted thus far on Instagram was a comment in the club profile of outside midfielder Love Brandt. His hometown club, Åby IF, is way down in Sweden's sixth division (no surprise, since the village of Åby only has a population of 5,000), but Brandt was apparently competing for a slot on the national U17 team before being sidelined by an injury. How much of that is take-it-to-the-bank info and how much of it is hype is all speculation. But, nevertheless, it caught my eye.

I think quite a few of NPU's current Swedish players have come from the 3rd / 4th division which is the 5th or 6th tier in the hierarchy.  As a youth, it's probably better to play consistently in a lower tier, then questionable time in a higher tier with older, more experienced players.

CardinalAlum

NCC with a huge pickup via transfer. Ty Konrad, high school All American at Naperville North, has transferred from Ohio State.
D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022

Gotberg

Greg, are you broadcasting tonight's scrimmage?

Gregory Sager

No. I usually don't broadcast scrimmages. I couldn't have done tonight's, anyway, since NPU wasn't wearing numbers.

The Vikings beat Kalamazoo, 4-0. I wouldn't read much into a scrimmage, especially the first one, but I think that this is going to be a deeper North Park team than usual.