SCAC - Centenary (LA)
SCIAC - Cal Lutheran

Jack Parkman

Quote from: SoCalBaseballfan on May 13, 2017, 09:13:06 PM
ASC - Texas-Tyler
NWC - Linfield
SCAC - Centenary (LA)
SCIAC - Cal Lutheran

I have no idea what is going on around the rest of the country (Pool C) but I think those 4 schools with be joined by Concordia (TX) and an out of region team.
my Matchups are...

1. UT Tyler vs a team out of the Region
2. Cal Lu vs Concordia (TX)
3. Linfield vs Centenary

SoCalBaseballfan

Quote from: Jack Parkman on May 13, 2017, 09:52:32 PM
Quote from: SoCalBaseballfan on May 13, 2017, 09:13:06 PM
ASC - Texas-Tyler
NWC - Linfield
SCAC - Centenary (LA)
SCIAC - Cal Lutheran

I have no idea what is going on around the rest of the country (Pool C) but I think those 4 schools with be joined by Concordia (TX) and an out of region team.
my Matchups are...

1. UT Tyler vs a team out of the Region
2. Cal Lu vs Concordia (TX) (4th place team 28-16)
3. Linfield vs Centenary
Staying home
Texas-Dallas 33-11
East Texas Baptist 30-15

TexasBB

I hope ETBU gets in. They played UTT very tough and both games went extra innings. Sometimes it is not the fact that you lost but how well you played that should account for something. ETBU was the underdog playing on UTT home field in front of a predominantly UTT fan base. They battled back and forth in game 1 pushing it into 13 innings before UTT won on a passed ball. The second game was a defensive jewel until the very end when ETBU pitching gave up 12 hits through 9 innings but the defense rose and only allowed one run across. They broke down in the 10th but are a much better team than the one that lost 3 games to Centenary back in March.   

SoCalSoxFan

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 12, 2017, 06:47:20 PM
The Pool A bids are pulled off the table.
After the Pool B teams are allocated from the Regional Rankings (imagine WashU St Louis and Emory for the sake of this discussion) then the selection committee goes reviews the remaining teams in the regional rankings, putting one on the board from each region.
The bid awarded to the best team by the Primary Criteria (and rarely the secondary criteria) found in the Handbook. A #3 seed in one region might be selected ahead of a #1 seed in another region.
After the first one is pulled off, the next team in that region is brought to the table.
The 8 teams are considered again and a bid is given. The next team in line from that region is brought to the table.
The process repeats itself until the 14 bids are awarded.

Reviewing Ralph's post,

Based on Tyler Texas wins,  CTX should be top Seeded West Pool C candidate.
I don't expect there are 14 other Pool C candidates... So My final prediction is for their inclusion as Pool C in west, with another Pool C brought in from another Region.

Jim Dixon

SoCalSoxFan

108 Stitches

West Region Hosted by The University of Texas at Tyler, Tyler, Texas
1. Texas-Tyler
2. Cal Lutheran
3. Centenary (La.)
4. Linfield
5. Concordia (Texas)
6. Rhodes

I'm not sure if there are any strong favorites in this bunch. Thoughts?
I do like how UTT battled through their conference tournament and being the number one seed gives them the advantage, plus they have been playing right up to the tournament. I don't like teams having to sit around for 3 weeks. Trinity used to have this problem and moved their schedules back. This could hurt Linfield, at least for the first game. Should be a well balanced regional from what I can tell.

TexasBB

These tournaments normally come down to pitching depth and defense. Not familiar with all these teams make up. Dominating starting pitching with a good bullpen is what I would look for.  UTT has pitching depth and some good starters but no dominant ace. They won the ASC tournament through a refusal to loose mindset. If these teams are all evenly matched then that type of mindset might carry the day.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: 108 Stitches on May 15, 2017, 12:06:24 PM
West Region Hosted by The University of Texas at Tyler, Tyler, Texas
1. Texas-Tyler
2. Cal Lutheran
3. Centenary (La.)
4. Linfield
5. Concordia (Texas)
6. Rhodes

I'm not sure if there are any strong favorites in this bunch. Thoughts?
I do like how UTT battled through their conference tournament and being the number one seed gives them the advantage, plus they have been playing right up to the tournament. I don't like teams having to sit around for 3 weeks. Trinity used to have this problem and moved their schedules back. This could hurt Linfield, at least for the first game. Should be a well balanced regional from what I can tell.
I like how balanced this field is.

There is not a dominant Trinity 2015/2016 team in this field, but depending on the first round draw for the D3 World Series, I can see the West Winner going 1-2 in Wisconsin.

SoCalBaseballfan

1.Texas-Tyler(39-7)
2.Cal Lutheran(31-10)
3.Centenary-LA(34-8)
4.Linfield(30-13)
5.Concordia-Texas(29-16)    Lost 2 of 3 to East Texas Baptist(30-15) and lost to McMurry(11-25)
6. Rhodes(25-19) (Winning 30 plus wins in the West dont mean much since SOS rules over on the field wins) but 19 losses is ok.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: SoCalBaseballfan on May 15, 2017, 09:01:47 PM
1.Texas-Tyler(39-7)
2.Cal Lutheran(31-10)
3.Centenary-LA(34-8)
4.Linfield(30-13)
5.Concordia-Texas(29-16)    Lost 2 of 3 to East Texas Baptist(30-15) and lost to McMurry(11-25)
6. Rhodes(25-19) (Winning 30 plus wins in the West dont mean much since SOS rules over on the field wins) but 19 losses is ok.
Rhodes is the Pool A bid from the SAA. They beat BSC 2 out of 3 in the Conference tourney.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 15, 2017, 09:03:29 PM
Quote from: SoCalBaseballfan on May 15, 2017, 09:01:47 PM
1.Texas-Tyler(39-7)
2.Cal Lutheran(31-10)
3.Centenary-LA(34-8)
4.Linfield(30-13)
Rhodes is the Pool A bid from the SAA. They beat BSC 2 out of 3 in the Conference tourney.

2010 national champion IWU entered the tourney with 20 losses.

Never underestimate any team that gets hot at the right time.

Ralph Turner

This will help with understanding the at-large process.

http://www.d3baseball.com/playoffs/2017/breaking-down-at-large

Pat Coleman gives a primer to any coach or AD who doesn't know this stuff (or may not have the budget to get a good trip to where regionally ranked teams play.)

I am seeing good trend of going to tourneys in February in the South as well as the Arizona tourneys to which many schools have gone this year and in the past.

Nationwide, the really big tourneys, where teams rack up games versus RR opponents, are in March when ASC conference play has begun.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 15, 2017, 09:48:23 PM
This will help with understanding the at-large process.

http://www.d3baseball.com/playoffs/2017/breaking-down-at-large

Pat Coleman gives a primer to any coach or AD who doesn't know this stuff (or may not have the budget to get a good trip to where regionally ranked teams play.)

I am seeing good trend of going to tourneys in February in the South as well as the Arizona tourneys to which many schools have gone this year and in the past.

Nationwide, the really big tourneys, where teams rack up games versus RR opponents, are in March when ASC conference play has begun.

This really is a great article.  A lot of talk on Twitter right now about CTX getting in over ETBU.  I understand the frustration but it shows the general lack of understanding by a majority D3 fans.  I don't mean to sound negative on that either, I just mean it as this is the first time ETBU has been in this position so the background isn't there.  It goes to show how fast the dominos fall when teams get pushed into Pool C.

My Senior year we were 30-10 and stayed home because we failed to win our conference.  We had a 2nd round pick on our staff and 3 other guys who were drafted.  There was nobody we could blame but ourselves.