Atlantic Central Football Conference/Independents

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:14:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DE Wesley Fan

For the entire miserable ride home I tried to figure out what the heck happened to lead to such an embarrasing afternoon.  The only plausible explanation I have is..... alien abduction! That's right, somewhere during the trip to Alliance aliens snatched our Wolverines and replaced them with slower, weaker, inexperienced version of themselves.

Wesleydad, as always, pretty much summed up the X's and O's.  Mount just dominated in every possible way.  What I was most disappointed with is how quickly we just pretty much gave up.  Not saying that applies to every single person, but more than it should. Stopped communicating on the field, not the same level of discussion and adjustment on the sidelines as usual, sidelines were just dead for the most part.    I can take losing if you give it your very best, it infuriates me to have felt defeated so early on.

The most discouraging take away from yesterday is wondering if we're ever getting over the hump. If we couldn't do it with this year's team, when can we? Yesterday reminded me of years ago going out to UWW.  Back then the whole playoff thing was pretty new to us, perhaps many of us didn't fully understand what a top DIII team looked like.   It was understandable that we looked like a deer in headlights as the experience was so very new.  This team didn't have that excuse.  But I'll keep the faith, travel where ever my beloved Wolverines go (guess I'll be seeing more of NJ than I ever really cared to...), and keep believing that one day we'll get to Salem.   

On a positive note, overall I couldn't be more proud of this year's seniors.  It's been special watching them over the years, especially those I've known since they were in high school.  Wesley football has given them the opportunity to travel to new places, meet new people, do some amazing things, and hopefully learn valuable life lessons - everything sports at its best is supposed to do.     

wesleydad

Decided to tortue myself, as if being at the game was not enough, and watch the replay of the game.  There were several chances for Wesley to make plays that could have changed the course of the game.  The kickoff drilled along the ground is touched by Mount but not slowed enough and still reaches end zone for a touch back.  2nd pass of game for Burke should have been intercepted.  A dropped pass on 3rd down that would have been a first to keep a drive alive.  Callahan pooch punts that the receivers are not all out on and it barely makes it into the end zone instead of downed at the 1.  Callahan scrambles for a first down inside the 40 only to be negated by a penalty.  That play is followed by a sack and loss of 15.  Kickoff returned across the field instead of up the field leads to blocked punt.  Petrose makes a big hit on a hand off and Burke beats 2 Wesley players to the ball.  Following play, wheel route for a TD.  Each play by itself is not a big deal, but when you play a team like Mount you have to make all the plays when they present themselves and they have to make mistakes.  Wesley did not make the plays and it is 28 - 0 and the blow out is on.  The defense looked as bad on video as they did in person.  The lack of pressure was even more evident.  And before anyone tells me that they lost 70 - 21, I know that, I was there.  I am just listing plays that could have made a difference in the game when they occurred had Wesley made them.  Sometimes the difference between a good game and a blowout is both teams making plays versus only 1 team making all the plays.

GillCJ1

I hated to see y'all lose like that, but congrats on a great season.  I guess both the Wolverines and the Cru had disappointing exists this time around.
ASC Football Champs 2002-03, 2005-2018 | D-III National Champions 2016, 2018

2016 National Confidence Playoff Pick 'Em Champion
2017 ASC Pick 'Em Co-Champion

SaintsFAN

Good to see you again, wesleydad ... and nice to meet you TeamSki.  I wish it had been under different circumstances.

I thought after the first three plays by the Wesley offense that they were onto something.  Baynard ran for 5,6 and 4 on consecutive plays (not sure of the order) and then there's an incomplete pass and a fly sweep -- followed by a Wesley punt.  I've never seen a team be successful running side to side on Mount Union.  But I thought the straight ahead running attack was going to give Wesley the edge because in addition to moving the ball, it would've kept Burke and Co on the sidelines while also opening up the play-action, allowing the Wesley WR's to get behind people.

FWIW.
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

Teamski

Quote from: SaintsFAN on December 15, 2014, 10:01:31 AM
Good to see you again, wesleydad ... and nice to meet you TeamSki.  I wish it had been under different circumstances.

It was great to meet you as well!  It took me this long to actually post as the loss took a lot out of me.  I was really depressed yesterday.  I don't know what happened there.  Was Mount Union the better team?  Absolutely.  Were they 70-21 better?  No way.  Why the wheels came flying off of Wesley's wagon so early and so comprehensively is a mystery to me.  Yeah, the punting got Wesley in big trouble and really set up Mount Union for their strikes, but that isn't everything.  It seemed that Wesley was truly lost throughout the game.  Either assignments were missed or tackles were non-existent.  Wesley played like their regular season opponents pure and simple.

It was painful to see the dejection in the players and the coaches after being so hopeful for a good game and a legitimate shot at the Stagg Bowl.  Why Alliance has so much Kryptonite under the turf for the Wolverines is beyond me.  There is one thing though.  The Raiders have an outstanding team and they execute every second of the game.  Until Wesley does the same, we will forever be second fiddle.

-Ski
Wesley College Football.... A Winning Tradition! A Coach Mike Drass Legacy.

Ralph Turner

Wesleydad,  please check your private messages.

Merry Christmas to all and a Happy 2015!

wesleydad

Quote from: Ralph Turner on December 21, 2014, 01:50:03 PM
Wesleydad,  please check your private messages.

Merry Christmas to all and a Happy 2015!

Ralph, I have nothing in my messages at this time.

Teamski

I wish everybody a great new year.  I guess it is now time to say goodbye to the ACFC thread and move onto our new home in the NJAC.  It's been quite the ride since I saw my first Wesley game in 2006 (yeah I am a late bloomer you know!).  My wife and I were walking past the football field on one of our evening walks and I was like "why the hell aren't we watching the games?"   I got an NCAA football team right in my neighborhood.   Little did I know just how good Wesley was.  I was even less aware that 3 years later, I would retire from the USAF, attend Wesley full time and end up traveling with the team for 3 years!  It has been a real roller coaster:  riding the regular season highs and the final lows of falling short of ultimate victory each and every friggin' year.  Well, Wesley will attempt it once again in 2015 and it will be another long wait until the ball is kicked off once again.  I will be there for that kickoff in the hopes that Wesley can break that glass ceiling once and for all. 

So, it is off to the NJAC boards I go.  It will be one hell of a ride!

-Ski
Wesley College Football.... A Winning Tradition! A Coach Mike Drass Legacy.

wesleydad

Quote from: Teamski on December 25, 2014, 02:45:16 PM
I wish everybody a great new year.  I guess it is now time to say goodbye to the ACFC thread and move onto our new home in the NJAC.  It's been quite the ride since I saw my first Wesley game in 2006 (yeah I am a late bloomer you know!).  My wife and I were walking past the football field on one of our evening walks and I was like "why the hell aren't we watching the games?"   I got an NCAA football team right in my neighborhood.   Little did I know just how good Wesley was.  I was even less aware that 3 years later, I would retire from the USAF, attend Wesley full time and end up traveling with the team for 3 years!  It has been a real roller coaster:  riding the regular season highs and the final lows of falling short of ultimate victory each and every friggin' year.  Well, Wesley will attempt it once again in 2015 and it will be another long wait until the ball is kicked off once again.  I will be there for that kickoff in the hopes that Wesley can break that glass ceiling once and for all. 

So, it is off to the NJAC boards I go.  It will be one hell of a ride!

-Ski

Ski, did not think about it much, but this board will go bye bye with us leaving for the NJAC.  No one else really uses it.  Nice thing is that we have an active board to move to.  They are good people and passionate about their teams.  Hope you have a good holiday.

@d3jason

Just couldn't give Wesleydad the last word on this board.  ;D ;D