South Region playoffs

Started by Llamaguy, October 11, 2005, 02:42:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Llamaguy

Thought it would be nice to have an area to follow potential South Region teams in their quest for the 2005 NCAA Playoffs.

The list includes teams that potentially could end up in the South Region but realize some may potentially head East or to other regions.

This is will be updated weekly as QOWI will change as will the wins / losses of competing teams.

Enjoy and post along with thoughts and observations.
"The Dali Llama"

Bridgewater Football 1980,2001,2002,2003,2004,2005 ODAC Champions!

Llamaguy

Week #6 Comparison

* ranking will be based on current QOWI w/in each loss column
@ - indicates teams eligible for Pool B bids

"0" LOSS TEAMS  with (overall w/l) (regional w/l) QOWI

1.  THIEL @                  (5-0) (5-0)  11.60        D3 #19   AFCA #23
2.  TRINITY                   (5-0) (4-0)  11.50       D3 #12   AFCA # 9
3.  JHU                         (5-0) (4-0)  11.00                    AFCA #18
     WESLEY @               (6-0) (4-0)  11.00       D3 #24 
5.  HSU                        (5-0) (4-0)    9.50       D3 # 3    AFCA # 4
6.  FERREM                   (6-0) (5-0)    9.00

"1" LOSS TEAMS

1.   SALISBURY @            (4-1) (2-0)   14.50      D3 #17   
2.   MCDANIEL                 (4-1) (3-1)   10.50
3.   BRIDGEWATER           (3-1) (2-1)   10.00      D3 #18   AFCA #17
      ETBU                       (4-1) (4-0)   10.00
5.   HAMPDEN-SYDNEY      (4-1) (4-1)    9.60
6.   WASH & LEE              (4-1) (3-1)    9.50
7.   HUNTINGDON @          (4-1) (4-1)    9.00
      METHODIST               (4-1) (4-1)    9.00
9.   CENTRE                     (5-1) (3-1)    8.50
      WASH & JEFF @         (5-1) (3-1)    8.50     D3 #15   AFCA #19
11. DEPAUW                    (3-1) (2-1)    8.33
12. THOMAS MORE @        (4-1) (4-1)    8.00
13. UMHB                        (3-1) (3-1)    7.67     D3 #11   AFCA #13
14. MCMURRY                  (4-1) (3-1)    7.00

"2" LOSS TEAMS

1.   CNU                            (3-2) (3-1)    7.75

* Once a team has more than 2 losses they will drop from consideration as the season progresses. Note: Pool A (automatic qualifiers) will throw "a wrench" into the number of spots available but will not be considered individually for this comparison.

"The Dali Llama"

Ralph Turner

Llama Guy, thanks for starting the thread.

Before we get too far into this thread, I respectfully ask your thoughts and those of others who have read the Handbook for primary selection criteria.

Would it not be more accurate to rank your teams by in-region criteria?

Having the polls is nice information, but let's put the disclaimer that any ranking that any service has given has absolutely no bearing on the selection committee or their decision!!!!!

ETBU has its loss to D-2 Southern Arkansas?  "Machts nicht!" (to use some of that McMurry education).  That leaves them undefeated in D3.

Also, by the 10th week, when the field has thinned some, let's add key wins according to the Handbook primary criteria.

Llamaguy

Great point Ralph! I agree with trying to mirror what the committee is trying to look at. This will be a starting point for those who want to compare South region teams at one location on the site. With so many teams still alive, I just figured a QOWI was an easy way to rank them in some fashion early on. Also appreciate the ETBU point. We all know our little parts of the South, but together can get a good view of the big picture in the South region.
"The Dali Llama"

Ralph Turner

Llama guy, thanks!  I absolutely agree with ranking by QOWI. (Random question...what does al-Qowi mean in Arabic?  I would hate to have this web site hacked by al-Qaeda. :o)

Let's just remind the newbies that ACFA or Football Gazette or even our own d3football.com play no role in the selections!

Llamaguy

LOL on the al-Qowi!

Here is a link to the NCAA D3 handbook. Championship selection critria are on pages 11-13 I believe.
www.ncaa.org/library/handbooks/football/2005/2005_d3_football_handbook.pdf

And lastly, yes the polls have no weight in the NCAA's eyes, atleast in D3 that is. We settle it on the field! ;D
"The Dali Llama"

Bill McCabe

Ralph and llamaguy,  The list of teams just confirms in my mind that a lot of the teams with 1 loss can't afford another.  Next 2-3 weeks should be very interesting and help sort out potential Pool C bids.

Ron Boerger

Llamaguy, great start.  One suggestion - you might want to put a "*" by the teams that are eligible for Pool B's.

muchacho

Some games to look at with potential playoff implications this week are Washington and Lee(4-1) vs.  Hampden Sydney(4-1), and Methodist(4-1) vs. Ferrum(5-0).
Are there any other matchups this week that will have a huge effect on the chase for playoff spots?

Bill McCabe

ETBU @ HSU certainly has playoff implications in the ASC.

Bill McCabe

McMurry has key games for the next 5 weeks.  They will indicate how much improvement they have made this season.

Hug

Is it worth noting that Thiel is almost in Ohio and may be shipped? We'll cross that bridge later on down the line.

pakownr97

Hug,

My guess is that if Theil wins the PAC, they will stay in the South.  It seems to me that the committee likes to keep conference champs with an A bid within their region.  I know there are exceptions.

If Theil does not win the PAC, they may get left out, or they may get shipped out.

Just my 2 cents.
GO BC!

BC Class of '81

Josh Bowerman

Just an FYI FWIW--

The top teams in the ASC have yet to play each other, i.e. HSU/UMHB/McM/ETBU will all be squaring off against each other primarily over the next three weeks.

Ergo, the SOS for each of these ASC teams will likely go up--win or lose--in some cases.
"Without struggle, there is no progress."--Frederick Douglass

Hug

Is there a witch Doctor in the house? I want to see someone project their South Region Pairing. It's OK to be wrong.  :)