FB: USA South Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawks88

Quote from: Scots13 on November 03, 2018, 06:21:00 PM
Quote from: Hawks88 on November 03, 2018, 04:10:45 PM
Congrats to Maryville. Glad we could help.  ::)

Very convincing way to help!

Back to Berry again?
It's hard to say. There are other options that are within 500 miles of Maryville that would avoid the rematch but they are pretty limited as far as what they can do with Berry.

hasanova

Quote from: Scots13 on November 02, 2018, 12:10:50 PM
Quote from: hasanova on November 02, 2018, 10:33:04 AM
Quote from: Scots13 on November 02, 2018, 08:13:54 AM
Sorry--jumped the gun a little. Yes, share. No, AQ on Saturday.

Jumping in the way back machine to 2012, MC was in a 3 way tie with CNU and Ferrum. Maryville beat Ferrum and Methodist beat CNU on the last week of the season. CNU beat Maryville a couple weeks before.  The tie was at 5-2 in USAC play. CNU got the tie breaker and the AQ. 

Ferrum ended up 7-3 and both Maryville and CNU were 6-4, but CNU finished 6-5 after a 1st Round at Mt. Union.

This tells me 2 things: 1) overall record doesn't mean anything and 2) longest absenteeism from the playoff wouldn't matter (Maryville would have been AQ that year I believe in that situation).
Well, you are describing a 5-2 three-way tie.  I was describing a 6-1 three-way tie.   When there is a second conference loss there is a tie-breaker for results against other teams.  In a one-loss scenario, this can't happen.  There was a 4-way tie among two-loss teams in the ODAC in 2014 so I know how the other teams fared applied in that situation.  Once two were eliminated, then it was head-to-head among the remaining two.

I see your point, hasa.

I looked at the archives on CNU's website. They beat both MC and Ferrum that year so had the h2h on both schools. They lost to LaGrange and Methodist that year.
Yeah, the really tough one is a three-way tie among one-loss teams where A beat B, B beat C and C beat A.

Congratulations to the Scots!  I will be watching with interest to see where they're paired in the playoffs.

Air Raid

is there any chance Averett makes the 32 team playoffs as an at large?  I realize it's slim but it's a fairly impressive season with their only losses coming to two conference champions

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Air Raid on November 11, 2018, 09:41:39 AM
is there any chance Averett makes the 32 team playoffs as an at large?  I realize it's slim but it's a fairly impressive season with their only losses coming to two conference champions

No, no chance. Averett's strength of schedule is below .500 and no two-loss team has ever gotten an at-large with an SOS of lower than about .550.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Air Raid

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 11, 2018, 12:34:25 PM
Quote from: Air Raid on November 11, 2018, 09:41:39 AM

No, no chance. Averett's strength of schedule is below .500 and no two-loss team has ever gotten an at-large with an SOS of lower than about .550.

Thank you.  I appreciate you taking time to answer my question.  There are several deserving teams, and a difficult task determining who gets in and/or left out.

ITH radio

Pretty interesting scheduling here by NCW and Stetson (a FCS school near Orlando, FL that went 8-2 last season):

https://fbschedules.com/stetson-to-host-a-pair-of-division-iii-teams-in-2019/
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

jknezek

Quote from: ITH radio on March 11, 2019, 12:57:35 PM
Pretty interesting scheduling here by NCW and Stetson (a FCS school near Orlando, FL that went 8-2 last season):

https://fbschedules.com/stetson-to-host-a-pair-of-division-iii-teams-in-2019/

Not the first time Stetson has dipped into DIII since they brought their program back, but it's been a while. They played Birmingham Southern in 14 and 15 I believe. Seems like a bunch of these Pioneer League teams are jumping on the Butler bandwagon lately. Davidson, Jacksonville St, now Stetson. Not sure why this is becoming more popular. I guess the DIII schools are jumping at the chance to get a little more cash, Guilford clearly used the Davidson and Jacksonville games to pay for the trip to Huntingdon, but it just seems stupid to me.

Hawks88

Huntingdon posted their schedule today. Not really posted but if you change the years in the url it comes up. Interesting trip to Oshkosh week three.

Sept. 7    Guilford                           1:00 PM CDT
Sept. 14    at Birmingham Southern   6:00 PM CDT
Sept. 21    at Wis.-Oshkosh          12:00 PM CDT
Oct. 5    Methodist *                   1:00 PM CDT
Oct. 12    Maryville (Tenn.) *           1:00 PM CDT
Oct. 19    at Brevard *                 12:00 PM CDT
Oct. 26    Averett *                          1:00 PM CDT
Nov. 2    at Greensboro *         12:00 PM CDT
Nov. 9    N.C. Wesleyan *          1:00 PM CST
Nov. 16    at LaGrange *                12:00 PM CST

MRMIKESMITH

Has Maryville found a game for the 28th of September? Asking for Salisbury?

Hawks88

Quote from: MANDGSU on April 17, 2019, 05:00:11 PM
Has Maryville found a game for the 28th of September? Asking for Salisbury?
I don't think they would be looking for one there. Looks like they already have three non-conf games weeks one, two, and three. With 7 conference games, week 4 would be their open date.

jknezek

Alright folks. If anyone is paying attention, I'm heading to a campground just out of LaGrange GA this weekend with the family. Other than some fishing, relaxing, maybe boating on West Point Lake, any things I just shouldn't miss in the area? We've been to Calloway Gardens, the drive through safari, and FDR State Park in the past. Anywhere in LaGrange we should definitely try and eat at? If I get some time I'll probably take a drive through of campus. I always like visiting other DIII schools.

Hawks88

Quote from: jknezek on June 03, 2019, 10:13:56 AM
Alright folks. If anyone is paying attention, I'm heading to a campground just out of LaGrange GA this weekend with the family. Other than some fishing, relaxing, maybe boating on West Point Lake, any things I just shouldn't miss in the area? We've been to Calloway Gardens, the drive through safari, and FDR State Park in the past. Anywhere in LaGrange we should definitely try and eat at? If I get some time I'll probably take a drive through of campus. I always like visiting other DIII schools.
They've got that big new indoor water-park, Great Wolf Lodge. Though I haven't really heard much about it. I had forgotten about it until a couple weeks ago when we were in that direction and I missed my exit(sucks getting old) and saw it from the interstate. Can't really help on restaurants. We haven't really eaten many places there and nothing has given me that "Gotta go back sometime" feeling.

jknezek

Quote from: Hawks88 on June 03, 2019, 04:25:13 PM
They've got that big new indoor water-park, Great Wolf Lodge. Though I haven't really heard much about it. I had forgotten about it until a couple weeks ago when we were in that direction and I missed my exit(sucks getting old) and saw it from the interstate. Can't really help on restaurants. We haven't really eaten many places there and nothing has given me that "Gotta go back sometime" feeling.

Yeah. Great Wolf really requires a stay. Otherwise day passes are stupidly expensive. Thanks though!

Hawks88

Quote from: jknezek on June 03, 2019, 04:26:19 PM

Yeah. Great Wolf really requires a stay. Otherwise day passes are stupidly expensive. Thanks though!
Glad I could be of assistance.  ;)

jknezek

Quote from: Hawks88 on June 03, 2019, 06:07:20 PM
Quote from: jknezek on June 03, 2019, 04:26:19 PM

Glad I could be of assistance.  ;)

You took the time to answer so I appreciate the effort!