FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluestreak66

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on November 17, 2018, 08:07:16 PM
The ODAC has very good football.  As a conference the ODAC is 2/5 over the last 6 years. Last year there were only 2 teams to keep Mt. Union under 31 points - WL and MHB. Today’s win was no fluke RMC wore them out. The ODAC champ seldom gets a home game and typically is playing a very highly ranked team in the first round. I would argue that every ODAC is better than every OAC team except MU and JCU. JCU had not played a tough game since September. RMC played one every week since week one.

RMC is very good. If not for a very bad play call late in the 4th last year against WL that resulted in an interception, they would be the 3 time defending ODAC champions.  The score predictions by the D3 Football team were all lopsided for JCU.  I was surprised RMC won but not shocked it was a close game.

Congratulations to RMC and their fans. Good luck next week!

The color guy for JCU was hilarious.  He was so shocked to see a team stick it to the Blue Streaks!  I laughed at his comments from start to finish.
I don't want to take anything away from RMC, since they definitely deserved to win that game. But John Carroll played some very close games late in the season. They trailed Marietta and BW in the 4th quarter. It also seemed like John Carroll was their own worst enemy in that game. I'm shocked they only lost by 3 with how poorly they played, quite frankly. I think a better team (probably 75% of the field), would have beaten them Saturday by at least 2 touchdowns. And if we're talking about some of the higher ranked teams (not even MU or UMHB, more like NCC or Bethel), they probably would have beaten them somewhere in the realm of 42-7. I have been following John Carroll for 10 years (ever since I started there), and I can unequivocally say that that was the worst offensive performance I have ever seen.
A.M.D.G.
Whose House? STREAKS' HOUSE!

RIP MUC57- "Go everybody!"

2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION
2018 & 2019 ODAC POSTSEASON PICK EM'S CHAMPION
2019 OAC POSTSEASON PICK EM'S CHAMPION

y_jack_lok

^^^ I agree that the JCU offense did not play well and the QB in particular made some bad throws and some bad decisions. But when that sort of thing happens some credit has to go to the opponent's defense. JCU certainly did not look like a #8 ranked team.

bluestreak66

Quote from: y_jack_lok on November 19, 2018, 11:26:57 AM
^^^ I agree that the JCU offense did not play well and the QB in particular made some bad throws and some bad decisions. But when that sort of thing happens some credit has to go to the opponent's defense. JCU certainly did not look like a #8 ranked team.
Absolutely, I give credit to RMC. Their defense came ready to play, and they did force some really bad plays. I think that a good team in any circumstance finds a way to win a game with the situation their given, even if they are underdogs, and they did just that.
A.M.D.G.
Whose House? STREAKS' HOUSE!

RIP MUC57- "Go everybody!"

2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION
2018 & 2019 ODAC POSTSEASON PICK EM'S CHAMPION
2019 OAC POSTSEASON PICK EM'S CHAMPION

wesleydad

Hey ODAC fans, feelings on Randolph Macon's chances this week?  I think this is a good game for them.  They have a common opponent with Muhlenberg in Johns Hopkins.  RMC only trailed 35 - 31 when the wheels fell off in week one and they gave up 28 points in the 4th quarter.  Muhlenberg lost to Hopkins 27 - 16 with the Mules scoring mid way in the 4th to make that the final score.  The Mules did have 6 turnovers, total yardage was pretty even.  Hopkins did run for 116 yards though, which sees to play into Macon's game plan.  I give Macon a good chance to win this game and since it is the only game within a short distance I think I will head out and see it, good weather permitting.  Last week's win is impressive, beating John Carroll, much more impressive than the Mules win at Del Val, pick 6 of 65 yards stopping Del Val from possibly driving to kick the winning field goal.  Good luck this week, having friend from Bridgewater I am always keeping an eye on the ODAC.

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: bluestreak66 on November 19, 2018, 09:58:57 AM
Quote from: HSCTiger fan on November 17, 2018, 08:07:16 PM
The ODAC has very good football.  As a conference the ODAC is 2/5 over the last 6 years. Last year there were only 2 teams to keep Mt. Union under 31 points - WL and MHB. Today's win was no fluke RMC wore them out. The ODAC champ seldom gets a home game and typically is playing a very highly ranked team in the first round. I would argue that every ODAC is better than every OAC team except MU and JCU. JCU had not played a tough game since September. RMC played one every week since week one.

RMC is very good. If not for a very bad play call late in the 4th last year against WL that resulted in an interception, they would be the 3 time defending ODAC champions.  The score predictions by the D3 Football team were all lopsided for JCU.  I was surprised RMC won but not shocked it was a close game.

Congratulations to RMC and their fans. Good luck next week!

The color guy for JCU was hilarious.  He was so shocked to see a team stick it to the Blue Streaks!  I laughed at his comments from start to finish.
I don't want to take anything away from RMC, since they definitely deserved to win that game. But John Carroll played some very close games late in the season. They trailed Marietta and BW in the 4th quarter. It also seemed like John Carroll was their own worst enemy in that game. I'm shocked they only lost by 3 with how poorly they played, quite frankly. I think a better team (probably 75% of the field), would have beaten them Saturday by at least 2 touchdowns. And if we're talking about some of the higher ranked teams (not even MU or UMHB, more like NCC or Bethel), they probably would have beaten them somewhere in the realm of 42-7. I have been following John Carroll for 10 years (ever since I started there), and I can unequivocally say that that was the worst offensive performance I have ever seen.

I don't defend RMC often but JCU only had 30 more yards of offense against MU this year and lost by 13. Not exactly a 42-7 blowout. The stat that sticks out to me is 9-33 159 and 4 picks. No team that attempted 30 or more passes threw for less than 251 against RMC this year. JCU picked a bad day to have a bad day.

I thought the top line in the bracket had the home game. Why is RMC playing away this weekend?
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

tigerFanAlso2

ODAC has had it's moments in recent history including HSC travels to Linfield, W&L losing by 21 at UMU and now the ODAC's biggest statement in recent history, RMC taking down JC on the road.

This is going to ramp up Pedro's recruiting, rest of the ODAC better work harder than ever on the recruiting trail, otherwise RMC might just dominant going forward.

I like the way RMC program has been built, offense is balanced, always can run the ball pass only when they must, solid defense and outstanding specialty teams. What I don't like is how they are kicking HSC's butts. Five in a row, 7 of the last 8, etc.

Good luck to the Jackets this coming Saturday. Love to see the ODAC back in the round of 8. Been a very long time since that has been done.

wally_wabash

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on November 19, 2018, 12:18:01 PM
I thought the top line in the bracket had the home game. Why is RMC playing away this weekend?

Muhlenberg is ranked 6, RMC is ranked 8. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: wally_wabash on November 19, 2018, 12:48:54 PM

What ranking?
Hampden Sydney College
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

wally_wabash

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on November 19, 2018, 01:47:56 PM

What ranking?

South regional ranking.
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

HSCTiger fan

Hampden Sydney College

Craft_Beermeister

Quote from: wally_wabash on November 19, 2018, 01:51:28 PM
Quote from: HSCTiger fan on November 19, 2018, 01:47:56 PM

What ranking?

South regional ranking.

Good old regional rankings complied by those with expertise within the region can differ from national rankings and when they do there is always an opportunity to debate.

Pat Coleman

In this case, the regional and national rankings agree. Yes, Macon is on the top line but they beat a higher seed, as did Muhlenberg. You can probably follow the logic through the seedings just from that but our playoff team capsules also were specific about how teams are seeded.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

thunderdog

Quote from: wesleydad on November 19, 2018, 12:15:19 PM
Hey ODAC fans, feelings on Randolph Macon's chances this week?  I think this is a good game for them.  They have a common opponent with Muhlenberg in Johns Hopkins.  RMC only trailed 35 - 31 when the wheels fell off in week one and they gave up 28 points in the 4th quarter.  Muhlenberg lost to Hopkins 27 - 16 with the Mules scoring mid way in the 4th to make that the final score.  The Mules did have 6 turnovers, total yardage was pretty even.  Hopkins did run for 116 yards though, which sees to play into Macon's game plan.  I give Macon a good chance to win this game and since it is the only game within a short distance I think I will head out and see it, good weather permitting.  Last week's win is impressive, beating John Carroll, much more impressive than the Mules win at Del Val, pick 6 of 65 yards stopping Del Val from possibly driving to kick the winning field goal.  Good luck this week, having friend from Bridgewater I am always keeping an eye on the ODAC.

wesleydad,

I'm with you. RMC actually lead JH 24-21 at the half before JH took control in the 4th. I think RMC @ Mules will be a dogfight. I do think RMC needs more efficiency from QB Burke Estes and the passing attack to pull this one out. One thing you can count on... RMC will come ready to play and they'll scrap till the final whistle.

Go YellowJackets!

y_jack_lok

y_jack_lok

Muhlenberg 35, R-MC 6. Jackets couldn't generate any offense against a very tough defense. Congrats to R-MC on a great season. Good luck to Muhlenberg next week against Mount Union.