FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

miz

...further attempt to spur conversation:

My picks:

1. BC Eagles- Lot's of senior leadership.  Need to play much better on the road than last year (i.e.: Farmville in October).  New qb an obvious question mark but could very well be an upgrade with two talented kids ready to step up.  Whoever is under center will have a ridiculous supporting cast of skill guys and 4 returning starters on the line.  Could be big year if it all comes together. 
2. HSC Bridesmaids err....Tigers- This will be the year of the Tiger!!! Yeah, we've heard that before haven't we.  JD Ricca is the Peyton Manning of D3.  Very talented. He lights up inferior competiton and then falls apart in big games.
3. W&L Gererals- gotta be the most consistent team in D3.  Always solid.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Most will probably put E&H in this spot but I think not. 
4. E&H Wasps- Mt. Union Coach, no Mt. Union players though.  Good luck "Coach Monty" recruiting good players to the butthole of Virginia.  Wonder if he has a good speech ready for after the Bridgewater and W&J games? 
5. RMC Jackets- Could probably finish anywhere from third to last.  I really don't have a good read on these guys. 
6(tie). Guilford and CUA in no particular order. 

Matt Barnhart (kid)

miz -

Phew, you don't hold back, do ya? lol

My two cents:

This will be the last year the ODAC will come down to BC/HSC (solely) ... the top two teams finishing 6-0 and 5-1 in the conference will more than likely change over the next couple years, at least the two teams that have been finishing with those two records.

I certainly hope BC will win it all again (with 32 guys that as seniors in HS watched the Eagles play on ESPN ... now is there chance to get there).

HSC will be tough though ... a healthy Ricca, a hungry Junes, three of the top four receivers from last season, and a defense that can only get better ... not to mention the game being where it is this year.

I'm going to say E&H will finish in the 3 spot ... not because Monty will "come in a change everything around" but rather an offense coming back that can put up 40+ ... always a threat with that type of firepower.

I drop the Generals to 4th, but only because they play much better at home (went 4-1 last season, losing only to HSC by 3 pts).  They have to travel to HSC, E&H, and RMC this year ... yuck.  They'll drop two of those three and lose to BC.

RMC has another year to go until they are in the top half of the ODAC.  They brought in 60 newcomers for camp, and bring back some studs on the defensive side of the ball from last year.

Catholic will beat Guilford, so the Cards get the nod at #6 ... give Coach Tom two more recruiting classes and CUA will no longer be a gimme game.

Guilford ... shesh, I mean, what do you say for them.  They need not be in the ODAC since they aren't in the state of Virginia ... but they rock at golf, and hit full court shots, so they give the conference some PR.

So here is my ODAC projection;

1 - BC, 6-0
2 - HSC, 5-1
3 - EHC, 4-2
4 - W&L, 3-3
5 - RMC, 2-4
6 - CUA, 1-5
7 - GC, 0-6
Former Publisher of BridgewaterFootball.com

wrighthall220

Nice picks Miz!

I'd go with
1.BC   (It's hard to pick against them!)
2. HSC  (Ricca will pull his team through a few games even without a few standouts from last season)
3. EHC  ( Plays hard for new coach..wins a few games off of  new found pride alone)
4. W&L (Spends too much time at frat parties.. whoops.. finish around 6-4 or 5-5.. again)
5. CUA  (Works hard for a returning coach)
6. RMC  (Who knows with this team.. no where near consistant as W&L)
7. GC  (Same old, same old)

-Interesting to see that the most active conference stays on the top of this board.. lets keep the ODAC #1! :)  

Pat Coleman

Quote from: eh ... just call me 'kid' on August 17, 2005, 02:20:12 PMthey give the conference some PR

Not to mention the automatic bid, since so many ODAC schools don't play football.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

wrighthall220

This is true Pat.. I just can't see EMU picking up football anytime soon!   ;)  Then again a few of the womens colleges could probably beat up on CUA and GU!   It is a shame that Lynchburg no longer carries a football program though they have a fairly unique field and could easily spawn off some nice rivals, BC/LC already compete heavily in track & field.  (for those who haven't been down there there are a few dorms that back up to their main outdoor sports field.)

e h dad

Miz, I guess if E&H is the butthole of VA., B.C. must be the arm pit. I really don't want to slam B.C. , because I'm sure there are some find folks there. It's to early in the season to start making predications. As Coach Lombardia once said "On any given Sunday(in this case Saturday)any team can win". So as far as B.C and W&J are concerned there is no such thing as a dead lock. Don't ever write a check your butt can't cash.  Peace I am the  E&H Dad

EHCTailgate

I think some people need to remember, that BC's greatest weapon in the past was the chicken coops across from the football field on hot and sweltering game days.
Everyone knows what I'm talkin about. We may be a butthole but we surely do not smell like it.

Matt Barnhart (kid)

Hahaha, you couldn't be more right EHCTailgate :D

I've "enjoyed" that smell (along with the dog food one) for five years!

mizzou_mafia

Quote from: miz on August 17, 2005, 09:58:51 AM
Thoughts on BC's qb situation???

Miz, check out the dnronline.com for an article today about the QB situation...they had an earlier one last Thursday or Friday.  Today's article talks about which is better suited for the option and such.

EHCTailgate

Hey, I am just lookin forward to Tailgating with BC folks this year. BC has started to travel well and always brings wonderful folks down to the EHC tailgate field to have brats and beverages with. Our tailgating scene has been down the past couple of years and I have a feeling that we are going to have a break out pregame, 1st, 2nd, halftime, 3rd, 4th and 5th quarters this year.

new_era

Can you smell what the CHEEKS is cooking??

GO GENERALS....

Nasty, Like Cheese on Tang

xbcdad

I love it when Miz is back ...no mystery about where he stands. I'll not take the time to post my picks but find myself agreeing with the kid.

RE: BC QB; Miz I think you may be on to something. I know the situation is different but i bet you remember when Clark made the decision to pull the senior in favor of the rookie Lutz. It wasn't very pretty that year or the next but it payed off in the long term. Given the veteran talent this team possesses, and the expectation of success I think you go with your best guy. This is not the year to groom a rookie unless he is clearly superior. If we are fortunate some back up will be getting some quality reps. It may be a while until we see an option QB as effective as Lutz.

miz

Now we some football talk going on!!!  Mission accomplished :)

Sorry to those offended by brutal honesty.  And yes, the chickens do stink.

Hug

Who's planning on coming to the open practice Saturday?

Matt Barnhart (kid)

lol ... Snake, stop hiding behind that name (Hug) and 'stache!!!

I might come to the open practice.  Oh wait, I'm running it.  Okay, I'll be there :)

We had around 300 last year, and by my RSVP list I've compiled, we could be looking at even more!

And Peggy will be there shooting pics, so thank goodness I'll have some of quality to put on the site ... my pictures are horrendous with my little dinky digital cam.