FB: Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Boerger

With league football going the way of the dodo after this weekend, the SCAC has put together its all-time CAC/SCAC football team.   

http://scacsports.com/sports/fball/2016-17/releases/all_cac_scac

A lot of good memories here.   Thanks to the league office for putting this together.

Ron Boerger

A defensive struggle today in San Antonio where neither team threatened early leading to a scoreless tie at halftime.   Trinity finally got its running game going and pressured the QB leading to two interceptions and a 14-0 win.   Luke Packard had 2 1/2 sacks and set the Trinity career sack record in his last game as a Tiger.

Southwestern completed SCAC play undefeated with a 35-31 win at TLU.   Bryan Hicks threw for 312 yards and 5 TDs, the final one halfway through the fourth providing the final margin.   Marcus Barolle ended his Bulldog career with a 28 carry, 215 yard effort and three TDs.

They had cool commemorative coins made up for the respective coin tosses to commemorate the games being the last in 55 years of football in the SCAC (and predecessor CAC).   I guess Pat will close this board down before too much longer.   Here's to everyone involved in the sport over the years, and best of luck to all the teams as they head to ASC and SAA play next season.

GillCJ1

Good luck to all the SCAC football schools on the next stage of their journey.  Very interested to see how the SAA plays out in the future with Trinity and Austin in the mix.
ASC Football Champs 2002-03, 2005-2018 | D-III National Champions 2016, 2018

2016 National Confidence Playoff Pick 'Em Champion
2017 ASC Pick 'Em Co-Champion

Ron Boerger

The final all-SCAC football team was announced today:

http://scacsports.com/sports/fball/2016-17/releases/all_scac

Congratulations to all honorees. 

The coaches who select these teams don't have an easy task, but since it's the last one, I'll pick a bone with the DPoY selection.   ;D

Player 1: 
- 60 tackles (12th in SCAC)
- 20.5 for loss (3rd in SCAC/9th in D3)
- 15.5 sacks (2nd in SCAC/2nd in D3)
- 9 QBH
- 1 fumble recovery

Player 2:
- 87 tackles (3rd in SCAC)
- 27.0 for loss (1st in SCAC/2nd in D3)
- 16.5 sacks (1st in SCAC/1st in D3)
- 14 QBH

You can probably figure by now that Player 1 is the 2016 SCAC DPoY.   Player 2, Trinity's Luke Packard, would also have been a worthy selection.

Jack Parkman

Really cool video of former TLU football player getting awarded a scholarship to Texas Tech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d93xFN_-Ja4

Ron Boerger

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Ron Boerger on December 23, 2017, 04:05:02 PM
TLU now plays football in the ASC ;-)

Well shoot, thought I had it right with them in the SCAC.

Ron Boerger

With McMurry joining the SCAC in 2024, Centenary (LA) starting the sport in that timeframe, and Schreiner very seriously studying reactivating their 70-odd year defunct program, all indications are that we'll once again see the sport sponsored by the conference in that timeframe.   

Ron Boerger

Where are the football programs now?

Existing:
New:
Highly unlikely but you never know:
  • Colorado College - former SCAC program was killed to save costs and they seem adamant it will never restart
  • Hardin-Simmons - this was the ASC school from Abilene I thought might come years ago; hey McM will need a travel partner  ;)
  • Lyon College - needs a football home, but it's a long way away even if they just would be an affiliate

Cowboy2

Quote from: Ron Boerger on November 01, 2022, 04:20:59 PM

Existing:
New:
  • Colorado College - former SCAC program was killed to save costs and they seem adamant it will never restart
  • Hardin-Simmons - this was the ASC school from Abilene I thought might come years ago; hey McM will need a travel partner  ;)
  • Lyon College - needs a football home, but it's a long way away even if they just would be an affiliate

Nice update Ron! This is interesting...

BSCpanthers

I'd expect Southwestern to do two years in the SAA before beginning play in the SCAC.  That could put them at 6, even if Schreiner doesn't get their program going. 

They will have an auto bid in no time, and when that happens, Hardin-Simmons will jump as well.

TLU02SA

Quote from: Ron Boerger on November 01, 2022, 04:20:59 PM

Existing:
New:

This is very interesting.  Like you, I am surprised that McMurry is the school that is moving to the SCAC.  The press release is also interesting in two respects.  First, in mentioning the athletic programs McMurry participates in, football is included.  Second, when describing the SCAC, there is no mention of what sports the SCAC sponsors except to say that its members "are committed to sponsoring a variety of varsity sports". 

The SCAC trying (and appears it will be very likely) to sponsor football again does not surprise me.  Centenary starting a program, the DIII decision that 6 team conferences have AQs and the SCAC voting unanimously in favor of that proposal was a strong indication that the SCAC and its members wanted the conference to get back into football.  It is my opinion that TLU, Trinity, Southwestern and Austin College never wanted the SCAC to stop sponsoring football in the first place. They played multiple seasons without an AQ and played a season (or was it two?) of home and aways within the conference before giving up that battle and affiliating with the SAA and ASC. 

The Schreiner news is also very surprising and we will see what their decision is.  The most interesting part of the article are the quotes from the School's Marketing and Communications Manager, "The conference is leaning toward turning the conference into a football conference" and "so, they reached out to all the conference schools to ask if the schools wanted to start a football program..."  To me, that confirms the SCAC's and their school's intent.

This is probably not the last domino to fall.  I would not be surprised if more movement and announcements are coming.

Ralph Turner

McMurry sponsors every sport that the SCAC sponsors.

TLU02SA

Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 01, 2022, 06:43:48 PM

Right, except for football. Nothing in the SCAC's press release states that McMurry's football will or will not be part of the SCAC.  Its the silence that I find interesting.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: TLU02SA on November 01, 2022, 06:48:00 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 01, 2022, 06:43:48 PM

Right, except for football. Nothing in the SCAC's press release states that McMurry's football will or will not be part of the SCAC.  Its the silence that I find interesting.

Until the SCAC gets commitments from everyone that yeah, they will come back to play football in the SCAC and when, they can't and won't make an announcement about that.  As  mentioned Austin has a commitment to the ASC until 2025, Schreiner is still in the works, and who knows if anything else is in play.  McMurry may have wanted to announce *now* so they can get started on their scheduling and transition for the other sports with an understanding that football is going to come along sometime soon.  And so McM agrees not to say anything about football in their release, nor does the SCAC.

Commissioner Hanberry surprised me (and probably a lot of others) when he stayed with the SCAC after the SAA split off, when he managed to pull the conference from the edge of death to where it is today, and now with the McMurry announcement.   It would not surprise me to hear that he still has plans up his sleeve.