The Top 10 South Region teams of the D3football.com Era

Started by Ralph Turner, July 01, 2007, 07:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACRULZ

Does anyone know much about Independent Huntingdon College in Alabama???

Ralph Turner

I will take a shot at this...

How may we help you?

And we can move this conversation to the MIAA board...

ACRULZ

Ralph:

Thanks for the help!  I am an Adrian Football fan and their first home game will be against Huntingdon.  Just looking for some basic info about them.  That would be great if we could move this to the MIAA board!  Thanks!

K-Mack

Quote from: gordonmann on July 12, 2007, 10:18:13 AM
But you can discount the way they got there in a subjective list such as this one.

Wait, what? Subjectivity? Some of the posters on the East version of this discussion think it should be banned.  ::)
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

Just_that_kid

Quote from: ACRULZ on July 22, 2007, 04:40:07 PM
Does anyone know much about Independent Huntingdon College in Alabama???

They're a very well coached, disciplined team.

K-Mack

Like what kind of discipline? Do they run laps when they jump offsides in practice?
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

Tom33

So anyone here anything about the Colorado College squad this year?

Ron Boerger

Quote from: Tom33 on August 24, 2007, 03:03:05 PM
So anyone here anything about the Colorado College squad this year?

You might be better off asking this on the SCAC board.

My bet is that not too many people know much about CC.  There is some stuff in Kickoff, tho.   ;D

muchacho

Catching onto this thread late, but its very interesting research. As for bottom 10 in the D3football.com era. The 0-10 season for the 2004 Catholic Cardinals would have to be on there. Not only did they lost all 10 games on their schedule, but they were shutout in 3 of them.

K-Mack

Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

Ralph Turner

Quote from: K-Mack on December 10, 2007, 11:34:21 PM
So where does UMHB's 2007 fall?
I am waiting to see how strong UWW can be.  If they defeat MUC, then we have to think that the UMHB game that we saw them play in very "un-Texan" conditions was significant.

;)

old ends

Quote from: K-Mack on August 01, 2007, 01:39:33 AM
[Wait, what? Subjectivity? Some of the posters on the East version of this discussion think it should be banned.  ::)
Vae Victis

Enjoyable reading and knowledge by all

Ralph Turner

Quote from: K-Mack on December 10, 2007, 11:34:21 PM
So where does UMHB's 2007 fall?
K-Mack, I think that this year's UMHB team slots in as a strong third.  Making it to the Stagg is one thing, but playing the eventual champion on the road in "Texas unfriendly" conditions is impressive.

I know that I am knocking the 2002 Trinity team down a notch, but "fifth quarter" activity made the "head-to-head" (MUC-Trinity TX) assessment impossible.

Ralph Turner

I have updated my South Region Top 10.  (Please see the first post.)

Ralph Turner

The Barbed Wire and Mesquite...

The NCAA trophy is affectionately called the Walnut and Bronze.  Since we have more barbed wire and mesquite than walnut and bronze, perhaps that should be name of the trophy for the Winner of the Texas Sub-bracket!

1999 --  Trinity over HSU 40-33.  1999 Playoffs.  #1 seed Trinity got the first round bye and edged Western Maryland (McDaniel), 20-17. #2 seed HSU got to eliminate Wash U 28-21, and W&J 51-3 before meeting Trinity in the South Region Finals.

2000 --  #1 seed HSU 33 #7-seed Trinity 30 in the South Region finals.  HSU got the bye and beat Western Maryland (McDaniel) in the second round 32-10.  #7-seed Trinity hosted and beat #3-seed Wesley, 21-3 and then beat #5-seed Bridgewater  47-41 OT in the semis.  2000 Bracket

2001 -- #4 Trinity 30, #5 UMHB 6.  #3 HSU lost to Wittenberg in Abilene in the first round of the Mount Union (North Region) bracket.  Here is the last playoff before the NCAA applies the onerous term, "geographical proximity" to the football bracketing.  2001 Bracket.  We had our chance to send teams to opposite brackets and muffed it!

2002 -- #2 Trinity 48, #3 UMHB 38.  The infamous "Bracketgate" game, and the beginning of the Texas Sub-bracket in practical application.  Please compare with the D3football.com projections from that year.  2002 Bracket.

2003 -- #4 ETBU 42, #7 Trinity 41 (OT). ETBU was ASC Tri-champ, and neither UMHB nor HSU earned one of the three Pool C bids.   #4 ETBU lost at #1 Lycoming, 13-7 (OT). 2003 Bracket.

2004 -- #5 UMHB 42, #1 HSU 28.  Second round game after UMHB finally beat #4 Trinity in a playoff game.  #1 seed HSU was at the top of the Texas Sub-bracket and got a first round bye.  2004 Playoffs 2004 Bracket  

2005 -- #4 Wesley 46, at #3 UMHB 36.  I have to give the Barbed Wire and Mesquite to the Wolverines who came into "our house" and beat UMHB.  UMHB had defeated #1 seeded Trinity 35-6 in the first round game. (Another Bracketgate game!) 2005 Bracket

2006 -- #2 UMHB 33, #3 HSU 21.  Another "Bracketgate" game.  I maintain that someone in the NCAA office did not check that the new standard software for determining mileage and dropped the ball badly.  Pat Coleman used the correct software and even projected a clean bracket sending #7 Millsaps to #2 UMHB (under 500-mile bus trip) and #6 CNU to #3 HSU.  "WRONG!"  By the way, Millsaps was flown to Pittsburgh to play Carnegie-Mellon.  W&J, from Washington, PA, located 20 miles outside Pittsburgh, was sent to CNU.  Good figure!?!

2007 -- #4 UMHB 52, #6 Trinity 23.  I think that Trinity might have given #3 Muhlenberg a good game*.  UMHB beat Trinity in the first round and finally lost at (Stagg Winner) UW-Whitewater in a great game in the Semis, 16-7.  2007 Bracket

2008 -- #2 seed UMHB 38, #3 seed HSU 35.  Bracketgate IV!  UMHB's Alan Munoz kicked at 33-yd FG with 0:05 remaining to give the CRU the win in a real classic.  #2 UMHB the defeated #7-seed Wesley (victors at #4-seed Muhlenberg 20-0) in the second round by the score of 46-11.  UMHB then won the South Region championship over Washington and Jefferson by the score of 63-7. (W&J had defeated CNU at home, 35-29 and then beat Millsaps 35-20 in Jackson MS.)  Since UW-Whitewater was sent to Belton to play the semi-final game, let's give the Barbed Wire and Mesquite to the UW-W Warriors, who defeated UMHB 39-13, in one of the strangest games played on a very windy field.  The UWW took the wind to open the second half.  Trailing 12-10, UMHB tried an onside kick into a strong southerly wind to start the second half.  The officials did not recognize that the ball did go the required ten yards and awarded the ball to UWW.  The Warriors took it from there for the 39-13 win.  2008 Bracket

2009 -- Both ASC Pool A Mississippi College and Pool C UMHB went on the road in the first weekend.  The Choctaws went to Huntingdon College where they were 56-35 winners over the Hawks.  In week #2, they were flown to Wesley College to play the top seed in the bracket and lost 43-9.  UMHB was a "#6" seed, in a bracket that had no seeds, and defeated "#3" Central IA in Pella 42-40.  The next weekend, UMHB was flown to "#2" Linfield and lost 53-21.

There was no home playoff game in the ASC, and therefore, no trophy to award.   2009 Bracket

*UMHB (Regular Season 9-1/South Region 9-1 with a 51-19 win over USA South runner-up CNU in Week #1 ) was seeded 4th due to a Week #9 loss to UWW 41-14.  The committee seeded W&J (Regular season 10-0/South Region 7-0) #1.  The Presidents became the first #1 seed to lose to a #8 seed (NCWC), 35-34 OT.  NCWC came to UMHB the next weekend and lost to UMHB 64-0.  #2 Muhlenberg (also 10-0/10-0 South Region) lost at #3 Wesley (regular season 9-1/South Region 8-1) 38-21.  #4 UMHB went to #3 Wesley and beat the Wolverines 27-10.  Comparing scores, I think that we can make the claim that Muhlenberg-Trinity would been a close game.  As we look at the bracket, I also think that #6 Trinity was a stronger team than the seeding indicated.  I believe that the geographic isolation impacts the OWP/OOWP for Texas schools.  2007 South Region Bracket