FB: Region 3 fan poll

Started by Pat Coleman, June 23, 2008, 10:04:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Quote from: muledaddy on August 29, 2008, 09:10:07 PM
Ralph, I am going to cough up the big bucks to get myself a copy of  Kickoff.Please give the Mules a fair shake,as ever.
muledaddy, the South Region is well aware of the Mules!

Last season, their performances against New Jersey, Salisbury and Wesley caught the attention of the South Region fans!

The pollsters who vote have a track record of genuine concern to present the best assessment of South Region teams.

I think that 2008 will be no different.

Josh Bowerman

Rest assured, muledaddy.  I have love for the Mules in my preseason poll.
"Without struggle, there is no progress."--Frederick Douglass

Ralph Turner

Pre-season South Region Fan Poll -- 2008

1)Wesley50 pts1,1,1,1,1
2)UMHB 44 pts2,2,2,2,3
3T)Muhlenberg36 pts2,3,3,3,8
3T)Salisbury36 pts3,4,4,4,4
5)W&J29 pts5,5,5,5,6
6) Trinity26 pts5,6,6,6,6
7)Millsaps17 pts4,7,7,8,8
8 )HSU12 pts7,8,8,9,-
9) Miss Coll11 pts7,7,9,10,-
10)Hamp-Sydney5 pts9,9,10,-,-
RVMoravian2 pts9,-,-,-,-
RVCNU1 pt 10,-,-,-,-
RVWaynesburg1 pt 10,-,-,-,-
RV NCWC1 pt 10,-,-,-,-

Watch list -- DePauw, Louisiana College, Randolph-Macon

The South Region Fan Poll is conducted by Josh Bowerman, Hasanova, Llamaguy, Ralph Turner and Wes Anderson.  Corrections are appreciated.

Josh Bowerman

I take the lack of banter over the fan poll as evidence that we got it spot-on right.  Congrats to my fellow posters--let us pat one another on the back!   :)

pg04

Quote from: Ralph Turner on September 01, 2008, 02:13:39 AM
Pre-season South Region Fan Poll -- 2008

1)Wesley50 pts1,1,1,1,1
2)UMHB 44 pts2,2,2,2,3
3T)Muhlenberg36 pts2,3,3,3,8
3T)Salisbury36 pts3,4,4,4,4
5)W&J29 pts5,5,5,5,6
6) Trinity26 pts5,6,6,6,6
7)Millsaps17 pts4,7,7,8,8
8 )HSU12 pts7,8,8,9,-
9) Miss Coll11 pts7,7,9,10,-
10)Hamp-Sydney5 pts9,9,10,-,-
RVMoravian2 pts9,-,-,-,-
RVCNU1 pt 10,-,-,-,-
RVWaynesburg1 pt 10,-,-,-,-
RV NCWC1 pt 10,-,-,-,-

Watch list -- DePauw, Louisiana College, Randolph-Macon

The South Region Fan Poll is conducted by Josh Bowerman, Hasanova, Llamaguy, Ralph Turner and Wes Anderson.  Corrections are appreciated.

Interesting to see the South Region's  take on the region.  I have done a similar thing in the East.  Come check it out if you want!! 

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Josh Bowerman on September 01, 2008, 10:20:01 PM
I take the lack of banter over the fan poll as evidence that we got it spot-on right.  Congrats to my fellow posters--let us pat one another on the back!   :)
How about a serious attempt by us pollsters to "get it right"!   ;)

I also think that as we pollsters continue to evaluate our own ballots against our peers, we will carefully consider the next ballot more carefully than the previous one.

Ryan Tipps

Just out of curiosity, how is your watch-list chosen? I don't remember that from last year.

Overall, I think your poll looks pretty solid. :) It's a bummer that someone pegged Muhlenberg at No. 8, because that dropped them into an unfortunate tie with Salisbury, a team they beat in the playoffs last year and one that may not be starting the year as crisp as it has in the past.

I think CNU's defense will pull together a good season for the Captains and edge them up a little higher on the poll around mid-season. I'd nudge them in there higher now, but I certainly can't argue against anyone's hesitation considering they've lost a couple of very significant skill players.

Really, I think the lack of banter on here does have something to do with the fact that people can't complain too much about this poll.  ;)
D3football.com Senior Editor and Around the Nation columnist. On Twitter: @NewsTipps

2.7 seconds. An average football player may need more time to score; a great one finds a way. I've seen greatness happen.

Ralph Turner

A couple of the posters put teams on their "watch lists".  I listed those teams who are being watched and did not get votes.

Having the watch list out there does assure the voters that their favorite team is not being ignored.

On the other hand, someone will need to make a great case why their team is not in the Top 10.  We have listed 17 teams from a region of 50-odd teams.  Please remember that Wash StL and CMU are in the South Region, too.

I think that the "ordinal" listing of the Top 10 will help to bring the rankings back into place.   A strong showing by Muhlenberg in the first weekend may serve to "correct" that "8".  Conversely, Millsaps needs to beat MissCollege to stay at that lofty height of "4th".

muledaddy

Mates,

A fine looking poll ;this weeks openers will shed a bit of light on the subject, hopefully allowing for

appropriate adjustment...the  Mules have to hold the line against a very game Wilkes group......I don't

understand the tie with Salisbury, since we beat them in playoffs last year.......weather does not look good

for Saturday, but I will be happy as long as our new field is done.

frank_ezelle

Quote from: Ralph Turner on September 02, 2008, 12:08:47 AM
A couple of the posters put teams on their "watch lists".  I listed those teams who are being watched and did not get votes.

Having the watch list out there does assure the voters that their favorite team is not being ignored.

On the other hand, someone will need to make a great case why their team is not in the Top 10.  We have listed 17 teams from a region of 50-odd teams.  Please remember that Wash StL and CMU are in the South Region, too.

I think that the "ordinal" listing of the Top 10 will help to bring the rankings back into place.   A strong showing by Muhlenberg in the first weekend may serve to "correct" that "8".  Conversely, Millsaps needs to beat MissCollege to stay at that lofty height of "4th".

Millsaps beats #25 Miss College by a score of 42-6.  I guess the voter who had Millsaps at 4th knew what they were talking about.
Millsaps Athletics:  http://www.gomajors.com/
Millsaps Photo Website:  http://gomajors.smugmug.com/

Major Rev

Oh, I think it's a little early to go there, Frank.  The only team above Millsaps maybe losing ground is W&J, given the scores from Saturday.  The Mulies played strong against a good team.  UMHB belongs there, and the trip to SA decides 6-7, don't you think?

A little help here ... did Salisbury play?  I didn't see a score.  Too bad that Wesley-CNU game was cancelled.  Has it been rescheduled?

Major Rev

Both questions answered in the ATN podcast.  Salisbury over Albright and Wesley/CNU not to be rescheduled.

Good win by HSU over LaCrosse ... though it sounds a bit like Backyard Brawl 2007 ...

Ralph Turner

Week #2 Fan Poll

RankTeamPts.....VotesPrev.
1 Wesley  (5)50.....1,1,1,1,11
2UMHB44.....2,2,2,2,32
3 Muhl 38 .....2,3,3,3,6T3
4 Millsaps31.....3,4,5,5,77
5Salisbury27.....4,5,5,6,8T3
6 W&J 25.....4,6,6,6,85
7 HSU 23.....4,5,7,7,98
8 Trinity21.....4,7,7,8,86
9 H-SC10..... 8,9,9,9,1010
10 CNU 4..... 10,10,10,10,-RV
RVMoravian 2 .....9,-,-,-,-RV
Watch list:  DPU, Mississippi College

Josh Bowerman

Observations from week one, and this week's poll...

*  With the exception of one voter, there seems to be some consensus that Muhlenberg is one of the top three teams in the South right now.  Whether they end up there or not, remains to be seen.

*  The one voter who has no love for Muhlenberg has much love for Millsaps.  I must say, I was somewhat surprised by the lopsided-ness of the score this weekend--I figured MC would miss Jake Allen, but didn't realize they'd miss him that much.  Just goes to show you how talented he really was.

*  HSU's quality win over UW-LAX has earned them some love.  As in the Olympics, throw out the high and low scores, and they're probably close to where the should be.  A brief moment as a fan:  I'm extremely encouraged by the way the defense played this weekend.  And I have no idea what Major Rev is referring to RE:  2007 Backyard Brawl.

*  With the exception of one voter, W&J seems to have shown themselves as to what they'll be this year:  great offense, no defense.  No offense to Oberlin, but it should never have been that close.

*  Salisbury appears to have been extremely lucky to escape their game against Albright with a 'W'.  Again, throw out the high and low and they're likely close to where they should be.

*  One voter seems to have much love for Trinity.  The other four seem to agree as to the Tiger's poll position.

There looks to be a fair amount of consensus amongst the pollsters on the rest of the teams.  That's my commentary on this week's poll.  Agree or disagree?

Ralph Turner

#1, #2 and #3 shape up nicely.

#4- #8 are a toss-up and everyone else is lines up after that.