Around the Mid-Atlantic board

Started by Ryan Tipps, May 05, 2009, 09:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swish3

I just wanted to mention that you can't necessarily conclude that one conference is better than the other based solely on head to head results, since those results depend upon who's playing who (or is it whom?).  Anyway, the Massey Ratings currently rank the USA South and ODAC conferences as 14th and 16th respectively.

So, as I mentioned, the USA South is a slightly stronger conference, according to Massey, even if the ODAC has more head to head wins.  Actually, I believe this has been the case for a few years.

GO CAPS!

brenpug

I have enjoyed your articles so far on the ODAC.  I hope you can make a Bridgewater College game and do a write up on them.  They have improved greatly since last year when they were mostly Freshman and Sophomores.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Swish3 on September 23, 2009, 12:57:12 PM
I just wanted to mention that you can't necessarily conclude that one conference is better than the other based solely on head to head results, since those results depend upon who's playing who (or is it whom?).  Anyway, the Massey Ratings currently rank the USA South and ODAC conferences as 14th and 16th respectively.

So, as I mentioned, the USA South is a slightly stronger conference, according to Massey, even if the ODAC has more head to head wins.  Actually, I believe this has been the case for a few years.

GO CAPS!
I think that the Massey ratings have some "legacy component" on 1-2 years that has not been "neutralized" by this years results.

Please correct me if I am mistakened.

Ryan Tipps

Quote from: brenpug on September 23, 2009, 08:16:34 PM
I have enjoyed your articles so far on the ODAC.  I hope you can make a Bridgewater College game and do a write up on them.  They have improved greatly since last year when they were mostly Freshman and Sophomores.

Thanks, brenpug. But I should point out that the current week's column is on a Bridgewater game, though since Ferrum won in OT, I put the focus mostly on them.

Admittedly, I probably won't make another BC game this year unless it happens to be in the postseason. I'll be seeing the ODAC play once more, when E&H and H-SC line up in October.
D3football.com Senior Editor and Around the Nation columnist. On Twitter: @NewsTipps

2.7 seconds. An average football player may need more time to score; a great one finds a way. I've seen greatness happen.

ProudFightingScot

Ryan,

Good around the region article.  I've got to say what a great performance by our USA-South teams winning 3 OT games this past weekend. 

However, I thought Maryville's win against LaGrange should have been mentioned in your article.  The heavily favored LaGrange was a 2008 playoff team, returned 19 starters, and was beaten by a young MC squad by 17 at LaGrange.  The week before MC lost to undefeated Centre 24-17 who is currently ranked #33 in the polls.
If you wanna go to heaven and walk the streets of gold.
You gotta know the password.
It's GO SCOTS GO!!

4 Cody!!!!

Ryan Tipps

Maryville's definitely had a good, competitive schedule to start the season.

I'm sorry that I didn't mention the Scots for their win; they have been flying a little under my radar after the 0-2 start. But as I was typing up the column and going through the press releases on Monday, this week became all about "fantastic finishes." I couldn't believe in the Mid-Atlantic that there were so many overtime games and games that were won in the final seconds.

Barring a flukey repeat of Saturday, I am hoping to give some ink to the teams that I haven't hit on much or at all yet this year.

Not to make excuses, but part of the reason that I wanted to add the Around the Mid-Atlantic message board this year is for things exactly like what you mentioned. Staffing has gotten smaller at my full-time job, and Sundays, which used to be my easiest day of the week have now become my longest and hardest, cutting down on the "extras" that I can fit in to my column by publication time on Tuesday. I had hoped that the message board format would reach some of those areas that I didn't have time to highlight in the column itself.

So, that's my long-winded way of saying thanks for mentioning Maryville's win! :)
D3football.com Senior Editor and Around the Nation columnist. On Twitter: @NewsTipps

2.7 seconds. An average football player may need more time to score; a great one finds a way. I've seen greatness happen.

ProudFightingScot

Thanks Ryan....   Keep up the good work and tell Pat to give you a raise!!!!!
If you wanna go to heaven and walk the streets of gold.
You gotta know the password.
It's GO SCOTS GO!!

4 Cody!!!!

wesleydad

hey ryan, i will be making the trip to gettysburg this weekend also.  i sent you an email, or at least i think i did.  if you get it call me.  if not let me know and i will give you my cell so we can meet up at the game.  should be fun.

wesleydad

Ryan, thanks for hanging with me before the mules - bullets game.  enjoy the rest of the season and if I dont see you before it, I will see you at the Stagg Bowl unless a graduation gets in the way.

HSC85

I saw two games yesterday and both had rain the whole game.  One game at Averett played on natural grass and the second at Guilford played on field turf.  I think the turf is a big improvement.  Not only was the game surface consistent the whole game but Guilford will also be able to use the field this morning if they choose.  Averett will be working all week to repair and recondition the field for the next use.  One other thought.  Saturday night game under the lights is cool.  Even with the weather really nice atmosphere at Guilford.

Ryan Tipps

Quote from: wesleydad on September 27, 2009, 09:49:48 AM
Ryan, thanks for hanging with me before the mules - bullets game.  enjoy the rest of the season and if I dont see you before it, I will see you at the Stagg Bowl unless a graduation gets in the way.

Wesleydad, it was a good time chatting with you -- and I'm happy that you opted to brave the weather and make it out there. See you in December!

hasanova

Quote from: HSC85 on September 27, 2009, 10:28:19 AM
I saw two games yesterday and both had rain the whole game.  One game at Averett played on natural grass and the second at Guilford played on field turf.  I think the turf is a big improvement.  Not only was the game surface consistent the whole game but Guilford will also be able to use the field this morning if they choose.  Averett will be working all week to repair and recondition the field for the next use.  One other thought.  Saturday night game under the lights is cool.  Even with the weather really nice atmosphere at Guilford.
Not sure if you were at Guilford two years ago, HSC85, but the weather was perfect and it was a shoot-out.  It is nice when the weather cooperates!

HSC85

Hasa,

I was at that game and I think there were 15 combined touchdowns scored. 

HSC85

Ryan Tipps

Quote from: HSC85 on September 28, 2009, 04:17:28 PM
Ryan,

He is someone else covering the story you wrote for Kickoff.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/college/college_football/article/SEDL28_20090927-223609/295995/

Once again D3football.com is ahead of the game.

It's a D3 community thing, HSC85. My thanks to you for suggesting the story way back in May  :)