FB: Southern Athletic Association

Started by Ron Boerger, October 25, 2011, 02:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Boerger

Given that there are some topics being discussed on the SCAC board that pertain solely to the new SAA (potential teams, etc.) it seemed a good time to actually create a board for that discussion.

There's not a huge amount of actually 2011 SCAC football-related discussion going on on the SCAC board, but it still might be nice to keep the two topics (and conferences) separate. 

Pat will no doubt merge or delete this if he disagrees.   ;D

awadelewis

OK... so to kick things off over here (and assuming Pat doesn't merge us back in  ;) )...

The discussion in the SCAC board about Berry adding football mentioned that OU is considering restarting football.   What's people about how serious the discussions have been?   OU put a bunch of money into converting their stadium into a baseball field so I wonder if they would undo that if they restarted their program?

Ralph Turner

Hendrix plans to start football, but that decision has been postponed so many times.  I wonder if it will take the pressure of a new conference to force the issue.

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

cush

I am wondering if Mike dubose will land at either berry or hendrix to start up their programs as head coach.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: cush on October 25, 2011, 09:38:12 PM
I am wondering if Mike dubose will land at either berry or hendrix to start up their programs as head coach.

I think Coach DuBose is done with D3.   Millsaps threw him a lifeline when nobody else would have anything to do with him.  He brought that program to national prominence and as a result landed a job back in D1 as DL coach for Memphis.    Hard to see him having the passion to return to D3 where he would make a fraction of what he is now and would have to schlep a lot of his own stuff around again.

awadelewis

Quote from: Ron Boerger on October 25, 2011, 11:51:43 PM
I think Coach DuBose is done with D3.   
Yep, I'd say you're right on that.  Tho', given Memphis's rather pointed lack of success , one would wonder if anyone on that staff would be attractive to other D1 programs.

Who ends up coaching at Berry and Hendrix is one of the more interesting story lines in the entire SAA saga.   You could see them go the same route that B-SC did in bringing a hotshot prospect with the risk of having them bolt to the other divisions at first opportunity.    My guess would be that you would see a higher chance of Hendrix doing so given the personalities of their administration; they seem to be the types that would want to get the quick hit early.

Ron Boerger

Hmm.  President Cloyd said in an interview earlier this year that there will not be a football stadium built at HX, just a field where everyone will bring their lawn chairs to watch games.  Hard to imagine a go-getter wanting to start up in that environment, plus Cloyd was quoted as saying some of the SCAC-left-behinds weren't up to SAA standards.   The combination of those two factors is not going to make it easy to find a coach (or, perhaps, student athletes). 

The BSC situation was a bit different.  This was a school in the midst of the move from D1 to D3 and there likely was some D1 'just win baby' mentality left when they hired Joey Jones and let him bring in whatever marginal students to play football (many dropped after the fall semester because they weren't able to keep up in the classroom) ... plus they're used to having extremely good facilities for D3, since most of them were used for D1.  From what I've seen of the football facility, it is not only new but top notch for D3. 

awadelewis

Interesting... I had not seen that interview.   I'll admit to some surprise as the interactions I've had with people from Hendrix had me thinking that of their administration as being rather image conscious. Dr. Cloyd's comment about their football stadium would contradict that.      It would bode unwell for them actually getting a program started, IMO.   

As for B-SC, I've been surprised that B-SC managed to recover as well as they did from what happened with Jones's players.  I'd agree about their facilities; their football stadium is as good or better than some of the nice D3 venues I've been to in Ohio and Indiana.    It's one of the places I point towards when talk at Sewanee occasionally turns towards  renovating the stands at Harris-McGee Field.

Ron Boerger

Hey Hendrix, Berry, anyone else looking for a coach who knows the South ... Houston Nutt will be available after the end of the current season and might be interested, you never know.  :-)

awadelewis

Houston Nutt in the SAA --- Now that would make for an interesting times in the league.

Shoreman

Any idea if the SAA teams are going to have Trinity and AC on their schedules for 2012? When do schedules get published?

Ron Boerger

I've seen several published reports that the SAA membership will all play TU and AC in 2012.  In succeeding years it'll be up to each school to determine whether or not they want the relationship to continue. 

Schedules won't be out for a while ... varies wildly by institution.   

historymajor

Hmmm...  they leave the SCAC citing high travel costs, then play the TX schools anyway...  Seems strange.