FB: Southern Athletic Association

Started by Ron Boerger, October 25, 2011, 02:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craft_Beermeister

Quote from: Ron Boerger on November 20, 2018, 03:52:25 PM
Centre CB Cal Lewellyn is one of this week's D3football playoff features.   He'll have his hands full on Saturday to be sure.

Lewellyn is a pretty good player and he will get tested this weekend because UMU has multiple talented receivers. Centre will be catching a good break this weekend with UMU's gunslinger on the bench for another week.

MUC57

Quote from: Craft_Beermeister on November 21, 2018, 07:05:03 AM
Quote from: Ron Boerger on November 20, 2018, 03:52:25 PM
Centre CB Cal Lewellyn is one of this week's D3football playoff features.   He'll have his hands full on Saturday to be sure.

Lewellyn is a pretty good player and he will get tested this weekend because UMU has multiple talented receivers. Centre will be catching a good break this weekend with UMU's gunslinger on the bench for another week.

Craft

Interesting news. He practiced yesterday. Seemed to be OK. I'll check practice again today. ❓ 🤔
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 21, 2018, 01:43:34 AM
Quote from: BerryCollegeFan on November 20, 2018, 08:01:46 PM
Question for those D3 experts, how did the travel rule get set at 500 miles?  How many more options would the committee have if the rule was at 600?  Would it matter in the first round?

We answered this question on a recent podcast, actually.

I (think) that you like podcasts because it's easier to record, than type up articles (and probably time saving).  But I don't always have the time to sit down and listen to a 45 minute podcast.  I miss the days of more printed/written articles.

Anyways, could you please answer the question, or point us to the specific podcast and approximate time it was discussed, so we can find the answer?

Thank you for all you do!
National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

BerryCollegeFan

Quote from: Ron Boerger on November 20, 2018, 10:33:48 PM
The altruistic answer is that they don't want student athletes having to spend 10+ hours on a bus.  The real answer is that the density of D3 schools back east is such that it also prevents having to pay for a LOT of flights.  600 miles might add a couple of corner cases but the schools involved probably wouldn't be thrilled about having to climb on a bus for that length of time.

Some of the southern and western schools already have a game or two like that.  The density of D3 schools in those regions is much different than the north and east.  Berry travels to Hendrix at 517 miles.  Centre travels to Millsaps at 604 miles. 

Even if it was just considered for 1st round games, I think it might help.  Maybe 600 isn't the right # but if it helps prevent rematches...  Maybe if the trip is longer, they give the team an extra day to travel, that would be cheaper than a flight... 

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Kira & Jaxon's Dad on November 21, 2018, 11:41:03 AM
Question for those D3 experts, how did the travel rule get set at 500 miles?  How many more options would the committee have if the rule was at 600?  Would it matter in the first round?

I (think) that you like podcasts because it's easier to record, than type up articles (and probably time saving).  But I don't always have the time to sit down and listen to a 45 minute podcast.  I miss the days of more printed/written articles.

Anyways, could you please answer the question, or point us to the specific podcast and approximate time it was discussed, so we can find the answer?

We also enjoy podcasts and can reach people in different places that way. But the answer is basically what Ron said, which is why I didn't elaborate. The committee doesn't want to put kids in a bus for 10 hours and extending the radius to 600 doesn't really help the Southwest or Northwest.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

wally_wabash

Quote from: BerryCollegeFan on November 21, 2018, 02:02:22 PM
Quote from: Ron Boerger on November 20, 2018, 10:33:48 PM
The altruistic answer is that they don't want student athletes having to spend 10+ hours on a bus.  The real answer is that the density of D3 schools back east is such that it also prevents having to pay for a LOT of flights.  600 miles might add a couple of corner cases but the schools involved probably wouldn't be thrilled about having to climb on a bus for that length of time.

Some of the southern and western schools already have a game or two like that.  The density of D3 schools in those regions is much different than the north and east.  Berry travels to Hendrix at 517 miles.  Centre travels to Millsaps at 604 miles. 

Even if it was just considered for 1st round games, I think it might help.  Maybe 600 isn't the right # but if it helps prevent rematches...  Maybe if the trip is longer, they give the team an extra day to travel, that would be cheaper than a flight...

Which would also be an extra day out of school, which is sort of un-D3 as well. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 21, 2018, 02:12:51 PM
Quote from: Kira & Jaxon's Dad on November 21, 2018, 11:41:03 AM

We also enjoy podcasts and can reach people in different places that way. But the answer is basically what Ron said, which is why I didn't elaborate. The committee doesn't want to put kids in a bus for 10 hours and extending the radius to 600 doesn't really help the Southwest or Northwest.

Thank you
National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

MUC57

Centre fans (are you out there?)

First, Happy Thanksgiving. Enjoy the day. I hope some of you will be making the trip to Alliance. I assure you, after a victory over a good W&J team, no one is taking the Colonels for granted. Should be a good game. Temps are predicted to be in the 40s so not too bad. Hope I can meet and chat with some of you. See you Saturday? Good luck and travel safely! 🍗 🍷 😃
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

umhb2001

Be careful, Berry fans and team, in your travels today. If you need any dining suggestions, please let me know. If any of you posters are going to be at the game, I'd love to meet up with you. Have a great day.
Watch out for the wreckingCRU defense!!

BerryCollegeFan

I had hoped to make the trip,  we just couldn't find affordable flights this busy weekend.  But I believe Berry will have a respectable crowd.

Ron Boerger

Ah, Centre fans, I know the pain of playing Mount Union with an untried QB.   At least you didn't have to do it in the national championship game.    Congratulations on a fine season - today's loss can't take away from what you accomplished all year.

Ron Boerger

Very interesting.   Centre has put up 21 points straight on UMU after trailing 51-7 at the half and with the Colonels inside the 20 the Raiders put their first string defense back in, leading 51-28 with under two minutes to go.

The 28 points (so far) represent the most points than anyone has put on the Raiders all season. 

Edit:  The 35 points represent the most points.   Before today the Raiders had only allowed 12 TDs all season.  Nice job by the second-place SAA team in the second half.

Ohsaa13

Ron, you are aware Mount played their second team the ENTIRE second half until Center was able to get their last first and goal when the score was 51-28.  Kehres had seen enough of the lack of effort from the secondary and sat them down. Mount had not played a game all year where the second team started the second half and also played the entire half.  Not sure if they scored 51 points in a half against anyone this year.  A lot of firsts today.  This could have been a 90/100 point day for Mount.

Ron Boerger

But give up 28 points it did, and to a team playing their second-string QB.

Jesus, dude, go get defensive somewhere else.  So tired of people hiding behind an alias looking for reasons to get their nose bent out of shape even when they win handily.

Ohsaa13

Sorry Ron. I did not mean to offend. Just stated facts.  Again, apologize as it was not my
Intention.