Capital Athletic Conference Football?

Started by jmccloskey, June 17, 2012, 03:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SUADC

Quote from: Teamski on December 26, 2012, 02:59:55 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 26, 2012, 01:15:52 PM
CAC football in the immediate term takes a bit of a blow today:

http://www.d3football.com/notables/2012/12/southern-virginia-links-up-with-njac

Yeah, that sucks.  Oh well, independent status forever for the Wolverines......  :(

-Ski

Yeah, that really does suck for Wesley, I guess that roster size is killing you. Nevertheless, you guys are doing very well as an independent. However, being optimistic, they are affiliate members through 14-15 seasons, which I believe CNU is going to continue to be an affiliate of the USAC conference. I believe they are waiting for some other schools to jump on board, I guess we have to wait at least three more seasons unitl the CAC sponsors football.

jknezek

A match only the E8 could love. Convenience sure makes ugly bed-fellows. I wonder after a few years of having Huntingdon kick the crud out of them if the USAS will be wishing they had taken SV instead...

Pat Coleman

Quote from: jknezek on December 26, 2012, 05:53:10 PM
A match only the E8 could love. Convenience sure makes ugly bed-fellows. I wonder after a few years of having Huntingdon kick the crud out of them if the USAS will be wishing they had taken SV instead...

The difference is that they have Huntingdon for all sports, whereas if they'd taken SVU, it would only be for football, since SVU was committed to the CAC for all sports.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ralph Turner

SVU's decision told me how many other CAC schools were contemplating football...  It also told me how many football athletes that SVU anticipated attracting in the near future.

The NJAC will have to figure who gets the "other bye" in the last week when Cortland State plays the "Cortaca" game, but 8 is a nice round number.

jknezek

Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 26, 2012, 05:58:36 PM

The difference is that they have Huntingdon for all sports, whereas if they'd taken SVU, it would only be for football, since SVU was committed to the CAC for all sports.

Forgot about that. I was looking at it from too limited a perspective. That being said, enjoy the bus rides NJAC. Long way to go (5 hour bus ride at least from College of NJ area), especially if you are the NY programs. SVU and Buena Vista were pretty much a non-entity 12.5 years ago when I left Lexington. Next time I hit W&L, I'll have to take a peek at SVU's campus.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: jknezek on December 27, 2012, 09:53:26 AM

Forgot about that. I was looking at it from too limited a perspective. That being said, enjoy the bus rides NJAC. Long way to go (5 hour bus ride at least from College of NJ area), especially if you are the NY programs. SVU and Buena Vista were pretty much a non-entity 12.5 years ago when I left Lexington. Next time I hit W&L, I'll have to take a peek at SVU's campus.

I scouted out SVU's campus in the summer of 2011. It is really not impressive. Small, old buildings, not a lot of great-looking facilities. The comparables are not good -- it reminded me of Fisk, but less urban. Or Martin Luther.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

jknezek

Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 27, 2012, 01:35:29 PM

I scouted out SVU's campus in the summer of 2011. It is really not impressive. Small, old buildings, not a lot of great-looking facilities. The comparables are not good -- it reminded me of Fisk, but less urban. Or Martin Luther.

Yeah. I wouldn't want to say anything bad without visiting the school, but Buena Vista is definitely "the wrong side of the tracks" compared to W&L and VMI in Lexington. Less than 5 miles apart. I don't think most of us in Lexington even knew SVU was there until the men's soccer team played them, around 1997 or 98 maybe. We visited Lex two years ago for my 10th reunion and we stayed in a campground in Buena Vista. Still pretty unimpressive town.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: jknezek on December 27, 2012, 02:20:51 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 27, 2012, 01:35:29 PM

Yeah. I wouldn't want to say anything bad without visiting the school, but Buena Vista is definitely "the wrong side of the tracks" compared to W&L and VMI in Lexington. Less than 5 miles apart. I don't think most of us in Lexington even knew SVU was there until the men's soccer team played them, around 1997 or 98 maybe. We visited Lex two years ago for my 10th reunion and we stayed in a campground in Buena Vista. Still pretty unimpressive town.
Yes, kinda the difference between old line Southern aristocracy (VMI and W&L) and an upstart Mormon resurrection project that is less than 15 years old.  I think that it will take about another 30-40 years, when the early graduates from the last decade are in the 50's and 60's to begin for the university to grow in stature relative to its nearby institutions of higher learning.

We know that Mormons tithe. Look at the philanthropic contributions that the Main Stream Media did not trumpet about Mitt Romney's generosity. He gave his inheritance to charities!  The SVU alumni will support the alma mater generously.

D3MAFAN

I think Alfred State, Salisbury, Frostburg St., CNU, SVU, Wesley, along with the SCAC teams should join up, the SCAC teams should just play their normal opponents and one teams from the aforementioned teams listed...See I figured it out. 8-)

luvapontiac

Wow...same people still post here after so many years! :)

Ralph Turner

Quote from: luvapontiac on October 31, 2013, 03:09:10 PM
Wow...same people still post here after so many years! :)
I was thinking about posting on this site earlier this week when I saw that Alfred State comment.  It seemed to me that the E8 would want Alfred State if/when Frostburg St and Salisbury left.

I remain optimistic that the CAC will have a Pool A bid by 2020.

(It is just my guess, but Penn St Harrisburg looks like the next likely candidate to add a team.  And to fill out the schedule to make 8 teams once the Pool A bid is earned, Apprentice would make a nice addition to even out the schedule.)

@d3jason

That would be an interesting addition. I've always though that most of the students that go to the Penn State satellite campuses are there for a year or two and then transfer to main campus. (That's what my cousin did, but that was 20 years ago.)

CNU85