Previous topic - Next topic

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: BaboNation on March 18, 2020, 01:44:39 PM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 18, 2020, 11:43:32 AM
Quote from: BaboNation on March 18, 2020, 11:34:55 AM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 18, 2020, 11:06:41 AM
Quote from: BaboNation on March 18, 2020, 10:54:40 AM
Quote from: D3 Junkie on March 17, 2020, 01:26:05 PM
I definitely understand why he couldn't make an All Region team due to injury, but Frank Oftring might have been the best big man in New England this year. In his 4 games against 4 other All-Region big men (Rogers, Post, Stephenson, Rapoza), he averaged 17 points and 8.3 boards on 65%(!) shooting. This includes 29 and 10 on 11-16 against first team big man Rogers from Tufts.

A few incredible performances that can't be overlooked regardless of how many games he played.

Yeah, what might have been.

Regarding the D3Hoops teams I'm pretty shocked that Jaworski got totally shut out.  He made the NABC 2nd team, which I thought was about right, but wasn't considered good enough for the D3Hoops 4th team?

Well, our voters would say the same about Coolahan -- good enough for our team but not the NABC team?

Yes, I saw that.  Taking nothing away from Coolahan, who was a major contributor to the team, Jaworski is the better all-around player.  I've watched them both their whole college careers.  I don't like to lessen one player by comparing him to another, so this is awkward.

Not to make too much of one game, but since Ryan, I believe, was in attendance at the Ithaca-Babson game, it was pretty clear that without Jaworski, Babson wouldn't have been able to hang with Ithaca as long as they did.

There were a number of games Coolahan kept them in, too.  It seemed like a team effort most of the year.  Hard to pick one star on that team, especially once Oftring went down.  I was impressed all around with how they responded to the loss.  That game was a truly impressive performance, even in the loss.

So true.  Be well.

I coached both Coolahan and Thompson (Ithaca) when they were just little kids in the Council Rock School District. It was great to see them play against each other at Swarthmore.

BaboNation

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on March 19, 2020, 10:39:05 AM

I coached both Coolahan and Thompson (Ithaca) when they were just little kids in the Council Rock School District. It was great to see them play against each other at Swarthmore.

That's a cool story.  Small world.  I guess you set a good foundation for them.

sac

Trevor Arico   G  Saline, Michigan will attend Emerson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPM75QhPN1Y&feature=youtu.be

Mother is the Univ. of Michigan head women's basketball coach.

WPI89

Checking in under quarantine - good stuff folks - hope all are well.

BaboNation

Quote from: sac on March 29, 2020, 09:02:42 AM
Trevor Arico   G  Saline, Michigan will attend Emerson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPM75QhPN1Y&feature=youtu.be

Mother is the Univ. of Michigan head women's basketball coach.

Thanks for the update.  He looks like someone who can step in and help right away, providing points to the offense.  Seems like he can put the ball on the floor well enough to create space for himself.  Highlights often don't show much on the defensive end, so that skill set is very much a "?"

nescac1

I would not sleep on Clark next year, and in particular going forward.  Based on early returns, new coach Tyler Simms looks like he will be in impressive recruiter.  In his first class, he landed highly touted wing Jordan Richard and big man Khai Smith, who was just named to Boston Herald's super team.  With the entire roster returning and those additions, Clark could be a feisty team next season, and the future is certainly brighter ...

nescac1

Big-time big man recruit for WPI:

https://newenglandrecruitingreport.com/recruits/john-adams-2020

Along with another 6'8 forward, Ryan Biberon (#6 in R.I.), they should be stacked up front for years. 

WPI89

Coach Bartley really re-loading - bringing in 6 freshman next year - the 2 big men referenced above and 4 guards - including one from Cali and one from Hawaii.  Will be a big bench and great JV squad (assuming there still is JV?) - but WPI graduates 8 next year - so the re-load "a year early" is most welcome!

amh63

WPI89....Hope you are well!  With 8 seniors aboard and 6 fys to arrive, how many players will WPI have on the varsity?  Nescac has a soft limit of 15 players still...no JV team.

BaboNation

Sounds like the NEWMAC is planning (subject to change) for a reduced fall/winter/spring schedule.

“ Our primary athletics conference, the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC), launched a COVID-19 response team dedicated to developing plans for a return to training and intercollegiate competition while maintaining a baseline of protocols and understanding among institutions relative to student-athlete safety. Accordingly, at this time and subject to change based on health and safety data, our intent is to play condensed conference-only seasons (fall, winter, and spring) with the flexibility to add non-conference games in order to meet NCAA minimum requirements for championship access.”

Can someone tell me what the “NCAA minimum requirements for championship” are, and whether those requirements are possibly going to be relaxed in this environment?

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

There relaxed several weeks ago by DIII. Basically half of the maximum in most sports. For basketball it is 12 for this season.

It is actually to make sure schools can keep their minimums for sport sponsorships more than anything.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on July 02, 2020, 01:14:30 PM
There relaxed several weeks ago by DIII. Basically half of the maximum in most sports. For basketball it is 12 for this season.

It is actually to make sure schools can keep their minimums for sport sponsorships more than anything.

And the details:
https://www.d3football.com/notables/2020/06/preseason-start-date-set-for-aug-10
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

BaboNation

BaboNation

Not surprising, the NEWMAC has now cancelled fall sports and won't begin a winter schedule until Jan. 1, if at all.

https://newmacsports.com/general/2019-20/releases/20200717i4wrr2

WPI89